Best Value Arbor Press

nksmfamjp

First, thanks for your help. I’m looking to get an arbor press for my venture into 6br for short range benchrest. My plan is to use the Redding Body Die, Wilson neck bushing arbor press die, the Wilson Arbor press micrometer seater die for this. Plans for now is Lapua brass and maybe Barts 68gr or Berger 68gr bullets.

Also struggling to find a gunsmith who knows 6BR and short range BR. I have a couple guys to call tomorrow.

What do you intend to do

First, thanks for your help. I’m looking to get an arbor press for my venture into 6br for short range benchrest. My plan is to use the Redding Body Die, Wilson neck bushing arbor press die, the Wilson Arbor press micrometer seater die for this. Plans for now is Lapua brass and maybe Barts 68gr or Berger 68gr bullets.

Also struggling to find a gunsmith who knows 6BR and short range BR. I have a couple guys to call tomorrow.

About bumping the shoulders on your cases? A lot of people use threaded type S dies, full length resizing every time. A rifle will run a lot smoother and easier going in that direction. There is plenty of information and discussion in the archives and internet. This what I do.

Pete

If you are in Ohio, it should not be an issue finding a gunsmith. There are a few great ones within a few hours drive.

Joe

the hart is a nice press but a bit over kill for seating bullets.
me thinks the $100 presses will do fine for that task
(or neck sizing)
add fl sizing and that is a whole new ball game

As far as the arbor press is concerned, perhaps the K&M is the bet out there right now. Order from K&M or Midway.
Where are you in Ohio?

I was going to suggest Kelbly but didn’t know they only work on their own. Grizzly has Bald Eagle but I also saw that the arbor press wasn’t available. The Sinclair is a nice unit.

press on

I recommend the Harrells turret press with a button FLR die and a good quality seating die preferably with a micro top. FLR your cases bumping the shoulder back .001-.003". Ask your gunsmith to make you a shoulder gauge from a short piece of cut off barrel to measure the shoulder bump back. The Harrell's press will need a couple of washers on top of the die plate to stop the plate from wobbling. FL resizing your cases is becoming the norm in benchrest . Accuracy is the same as neck sizing and the rifle runs smoother as cases are not tight in the chamber. Get a PMA Tool micro die adjuster which will greatly help in adjusting your shoulder bump back. Most importantly buy Tony's book and read the chapter on reloading.

Last edited:
Back