Best method for stopping your Railgun

M

Mike Paul

What is the best method for stopping your railgun upon recoil and getting back to battery? I have asked and gotten different answers. Some have told me they use their thumb about a 1/2" behind the triggerguard, some put their hand to the side of the top in the same way. I have seem some use a rubber sling like an elastic band so the top would not go all the way back. I just picked up a rail and have little to no experience with them.

-Mike Paul

Mike

When shooting a RailGun, you have to develop a rythm, and do it the same way every time. I have gotten used to holding my thumb about 1/2 inch from the top, and just catch it on recoil. I just push it back against the stop before I load the next round. Actually,I am camming the bolt as I move it forward. Since my top runs on Tungsten Carbide runners sitting on hardenned steel stands instead of Delren, it doesn't come back as hard and fast.
I have tried a rubber band on mine, but took it off.
If your top moves easilly, such as the ones with the Delren stands, then at Ranges such as Raton, where you more or less shoot up hill, you will have trouble with the top wanting to drift back off of the stop.......jackie

Jackie

So your catching the top with your non shooting hand-(thumb), right? The runners are delrin on a Young. The top is going to move back very easily. So your saying I can stop back progress after it has moved a couple of inches and push it forward to the stop?

Mike

Your rail

I've thought about your new rail all week. I believe you've made an error buying it but because I care about your best interest I would be willing to give you your money back and take it over for you.
Or I would come get it and tune it for you. I wouldn't need to keep it more than 2 years or so.
Dave B

Dave

I may take you up your offer to come down and shoot it if the weather doesn't warm up soon. I've almost got everything together and am ready to load up some double 00s. Those cases that Randy Burgess made work perfectly for my scope. If it doesn't rain on Saturday, I might take it out up here and start getting used to it.

Dave, you have too many rails as it is.....

-Mike

Rail

G'Day Mike

I use a length of silicone tubing that runs down the centre line of the rail so when it catches the rail there is no sideways pulling or forces on the rail. This tubing is loose at the start so all it dose is catch the rail before it hits the stops. My rail is very light and chambered in 222Rem and it still hits the end, I used to stop it with my hand but you only have to forget once then you have to reset everything up again.

Attachments

• Rail Gun 068.jpg
    Rail Gun 068.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 412
Back