Benchmark Powder

C

cassidy

Is 30 gns of BENCHMARK too hot for the 6PPC with 66 Boatails????

Thanks for the help!!:confused:

On any different powder, different bullet or whatever, start low and work up. There are many places to get load starting data. In this instance I'd start with a good reloading manual. Unfortunately Hodgdon, the marketer of Benchmark, does not show the PPC in their on line manual.

later

Looking on a Benchmark can, they show 29g with a 70 Nosler in the 6 PPC. Why do they show a 70 g Nosler? Because it is a known. When you get into custom made benchrest bullets there could be unexpected variables that they don't want to be liable for.

Last edited:
My experience...

with Benchmak is somewhat limited but this is what I have found. Shooting a 6ppc, Panda action, Kreiger .237 4g, and Gentner 65bt at 73* - 78* and 60% - 50% humidity, 30.6 gr was for sure the upper window. I would not go any hotter than this in my rig. The powder comes to the bottom of the neck with a slow drop and an 8" drop tube. On my Harrels powder drop this is at 52 3/6 clicks. This evidence is with only one lot of powder so others need to be cautiously checked. I have no idea if this is a slow, med. or fast lot of powder. I will tell you this, it shot very well at this setting and I will be shooting it a lot more this season. In a club match last season this load shot a .2668 grand agg which was good for 1st place and three small group pots at 200. Bro.D

You should be ok
i shoot 29.5 with a 68 gr berger bullet
i have shot more but this load worked best for me

dan

With my current lot of Benchmark, I can't get enough of it in the case to ever cause pressure. It's slower than any lot of n133 I've had. It seems to shoot good though neverminding it's slow.

The last time I weighed it, I think my best load was around 29.5 grains and it was barely cracking 3300 fps.

You will know by the cratered and flattened primers and/or sticky bolt when you have too hot a load for your particular action/barrel.
Bob

Benchmark

I shoot a tight neck .263 6PPC and I started at 28 gr of Benchmark with a 68 grain Barts. With a long drop tube I got to 30.0 and had no problems but I was not happy with the way it grouped and it even started to string vertical. Had good conditions to shoot in but I just could not make it perform.I was not real happy with the Benchmark powder in either of my PPC's so I went back to V-133 and H-322. I'm just a weekend shooter.....

Were is the Wildcatter when you need him!:D

Lurking Tom, Lurking.

Waiting to see Lou do the Cactus.

Lurking with my clown-killer dog, Misty.

9uos2p.jpg

Back