Benchmark 2 groove

drknite

Any opinions on a benchmark reverse taper 2 groove barrel. Have a friend with one that shoots very well. Just wondering what the general opinion is on them.

One of my favorites I have had some very good ones. They can be tricky w tune. They love hot weather. The hotter it gets, the better they like it. Jim

2 groove

Pepper
If Benchmark would make the land width .030 narrower they might shoot in cooler weather. The wide land width might keep the bullet off the groves on some barrels, TRICKY to do anything with,
Hart has the same problem with their 3 groove.

Last edited:
Tuner had to have added weight as I remember. You put one on for me Gordon

:pepper
If i did. I would have been on the ground on my stomach Kicking and Screaming ,, DON'T make me do this!!!!!

They do not shoot well in cold weather. Much better when warm. Jim

Cold Weather

Hello Jim,
What would you consider cold? 40*, 50*, 60*? How does the performance degrade? Group size, flyers, stringing?
Thanking you in advance,
Bill Stowers

I have a 40X with a Benchmark 2 groove , reverse taper, 1-16.5 twist, that Gene Davis installed. This thing shoots exceptional well.. I have not changed the tuner setting since Gene tuned the rifle and I have won five Florida State Championships with it... 'nuff said...

Dave

b.m. 2 GROOVE

Dave, I can't imagine you have much cold weather in Florida? Happy to hear your barrel is a killer. What ammo does it like? and what chamber are you using?
Bill

Dave, I can't imagine you have much cold weather in Florida? Happy to hear your barrel is a killer. What ammo does it like? and what chamber are you using?
Bill

Bill...

it is all not peaches and cream in Florida... During the fall and Spring, we sometimes get to shoot in the high 30's or low 40's temperature.. My rifle loves Eley Match (Black Box). I have not tried any of the new LAPUA yet..... As far as the chamber goes, I do not know.. I told Gene Davis to use whatever he wanted... Apparently it was a good choice....

Dave

Hello Jim,
What would you consider cold? 40*, 50*, 60*? How does the performance degrade? Group size, flyers, stringing?
Thanking you in advance,
Bill Stowers

Bill, anything under 6o degrees is iffy. As Bill Myers said, the hotter it gets, the better it shoots.

Mr. Dave. Thanks for your response. It does make me feel better that you have shot yours in some cooler weather and it still performed well. I live in Texas and compete in Arkansas and Louisiana. Temperature below 30 - 40. degrees when shooting are rare.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, the more input the better! I have only shot in Northern Nevada and we get 30*-40* mornings. I just finished a Trident with B-M 2 groove, 1.5* chamber for Lapua per K. Nevius. If Lapua in Mesa ever gets some Midas+ I will have it tested. Currently shooting a known lot of M+ and it is pretty good, just hoping for something a little better (greedy)?
Bill

Back