Beginners Bible

E

Eludium

For those who are just begenning an intirest in benchrest, is there a book that explains the many aspects of hand loading that must be mastered to be competative:eek:?

I also joined a club that had benchrest shooting. And met some really nice people. There is a lot of shooting down there.

Mike Ratigan's book "Extreme Rifle Accuracy" is a gold mine of information and can be ordered from Sinclair International.

Dick

Seconds

I second Mike Ratigan's book, it is excellent. Waiting for Tony B. book > I need those long kept shooting secrets!

Marty

Eludium ...

For those who are just begenning an intirest in benchrest, is there a book that explains the many aspects of hand loading that must be mastered to be competative:eek:?

In addition to Mike Ratigan's book "Extreme Rifle Accuracy", you might also want to read "The Benchrest Shooting Primer" available from the fine people in the Precision Shooting magazine office at 860-645-8776. If you get this book, read Dick Wright's NECK TURNING MADE EASY beginning on page 353. Also, take a look at this excellent article with great pictures: http://www.6mmbr.com/JGcaseprep.html. The fundamentals and basics apply to all cartridge preparations regardless of range distances. Hope this is helpful. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Loading manuals

For the basics, those who are just getting started, it's tough to beat the Lyman #49 Reloading manual. The front section is loaded with information covering all the basics, easy to understand, well illustrated, etc. As you advance to more precision type shooting, "Precision Shooting Reloading Guide", published by "Precision Shooting" magazine is another excellent choice, although getting a little dated now since it's 1995 first printing. The "Benchrest Shooting Primer", also by P.S. , and mentioned above is an endless source of information that will keep one occupied for many hours of reading and more importantly, learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, I am reding "Handloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker. Sinclair carries the book. But a beginner might have trouble with some of it. Basic reloading knowledge would be needed.

Eludium

For just beginning BR I would suggest Newick's book The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy. The few books that have been written all have their good points. I feel that Newick went out of his way to cover the basics as well as good info for the experienced shooter.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Glenn Newick's book is a good one but is a bit dated. Mike Ratigan's book picks up about where Glenn's stops. I would recommend both, plus a good reloading manual.

Donald

Thank You

Thank you all for the many great suggestions. I'm going to check out several of the books recommended. I've reloaded for general (not hardcore) hunting so I'm looking to focus on the finer aspects that take you from an average reloader to a benchrest reloader. Thanks again, I'm sure the abundance of materials suggested will take me a long way forward.:)

My choice

Would be Sinclair International's Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook by Bill Gravatt & Fred Sinclair if it is stil available.:D

Back