Bartlien Barrels

there is a short ad before tour...works fine...just checked.....

Where in this video does it show steady rest chambering? Frank Green and someone talk about break-in and such but no chambering. There is one brief instance where it shows taking a barrel out of a steady rest setup, but that shot only lasts a few seconds, so??

where in this video does it show steady rest chambering? Frank green and someone talk about break-in and such but no chambering. There is one brief instance where it shows taking a barrel out of a steady rest setup, but that shot only lasts a few seconds, so??

look at the chambering shot.....

It is only for 3-4 seconds starting at about 39 seconds from the start. You can stop, and go back several times around there, and stop it to look anywhere you want. There is some kind of adapter in the three jaw at the muzzle, that gets tightened by one jaw after the barrel is put in, and he sets the breach end in a roller tip steady rest. It all happens pretty fast.

Bartlein Barrels Interview

Gentlemen,

If you go to Snipershide, you will see that there are 2 videos (so far) that explain Bartleins barrel making process. This is 2 parts in a series with more to come. I found the information provided by the makers to be very informative.
We should all be pleased that a very busy barrel manufacturer would take the time to not only explain the barrel making process, but to give added details as well.

42 sec. into "Barrel Break In" in video...chambering in a steady rest.....the Bartlein/Kelby way...... over 500 barrels a year....

Last edited:
There will be more video's being posted by Frank Galli/Snipers Hide. I don't know how many video's he took what he all took and what and how he is editing due to noise etc....so you will have to keep checking SH forums for future video's etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

HMMmmmm . . .

Good video on Bartlien Barrels :::....chambering in a steady rest.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rW6SF-jlbkg

Strange thread . . . but, I've got a Bartlien .338 barrel through the lathe head-stock, ready to thread & chamber - it's one of the STRAIGHTEST and most concentric (outside:inside) barrels I've seen! :D Thank you Frank & Company - I'm betting it will, "shoot" as well as my "sub-caliber" (.30 and under ;)) Bartliens! :cool: RG

H

since you insist on being an ass and posting such trivia, i will reply to your nonsense.
that video has aprox SEVEN SECONDS of chambering. if you can do your setup and chamber in SEVEN SECONDS, then go for it.
you keep looking for info to SUPPORT your position. why?? because the facts say you waste time and effort in your setup ?? yep.

chambering 500 bbls a year is chump change...that is 2.5 per work day.........that is not an efficient shop..if that was all they were doing.

you like your method, good for you, just admit the truth..it is slow and labor intensive....it is not done a the head stock which is the most precise part of a lathe.

yes you can produce good chambers........at the cost of time.......

now stop wasting everyone's time

Well...... I won`t stoop/stool to name calling..... BUT...if chambering 500 barrels a year is in your words"CHUMP CHANGE".....
How many barrels did you chamber last year....??????
How many barrels

Strange thread . . . but, I've got a Bartlien .338 barrel through the lathe head-stock, ready to thread & chamber - it's one of the STRAIGHTEST and most concentric (outside:inside) barrels I've seen! :D Thank you Frank & Company - I'm betting it will, "shoot" as well as my "sub-caliber" (.30 and under ;)) Bartliens! :cool: RG

If it is an issue of Bartlein barrels, no argument about their quality. I have bought several direct from Tracy and several through one of his dealer/gunsmiths. Most of what I have are 6mm in 13.75, 14, 14.3 and gain twist. All were very straight and shot well.

As to chambering setup methods, no one is going to win that argument since many winning barrels have been chambered by the through-the-headstock, and in a steadyrest. I'm a through the headstock proponent myself but on some 1.45" barrels that will not go through my lathe I have done in a steadyrest...thank God for large bore headstocks short enough to dial in both ends. IMO, I can see no benefit at all with the let-the-muzzle-wobble method, but that is just me.

Sorry, Bill, for taking your thread so far out in left field....I'm outta' here.

i know you are old and have an issue remembering info....
i am not a gunsmith...never made the claim.
go ask hart, krieger and other MAJOR BBL MAKERS that also chamber what they think of 500 bbls .
chump change.
you are taking data out of context....bartlien is a BBL MAKER, THAT ALSO CHAMBERS.

Does`nt Kelby`s chamber in the s.rest too..................????

So they chambered 500 barrels ON TOP of producing xxxx number of barrels sent out without being chambered- hardly chump change. case closed

The barrel they are chambering in that video appears to be a test barrel for a Modern Bond Universal Receiver. They typically have a 2" diameter breech end, which would be one reason it is not in the headstock.

Gentlemen,

Save the ignore list for folks like me. I've taken action to the extent I have available right now and the problem is gone - for the moment.

Your welcome Randy!

Later, Frank

The barrel they are chambering in that video appears to be a test barrel for a Modern Bond Universal Receiver. They typically have a 2" diameter breech end, which would be one reason it is not in the headstock.

It is a universal test receiver ammunition test barrel you are see the short clip on.

I hate it when guys ask how we chamber, the set up, speeds, feeds, cutting oil etc....well I shouldn't say I hate it but you run into the guy that goes off on the deep end on me/us etc....and say it's wrong this, wrong that etc....were always looking for a better way, quicker etc....

Threading and chambering a barrel is like cleaning a rifle. I tell guys if you have a set up/method you use and you are getting concentric chambers with little to no run out, the guns shoot well just because one guy doesn't it differently and it work for him then I've got nothing to say. Just because the guy next to you does it different also doesn't mean he is doing it better etc...

Going thru the headstock and locking the barrel up tight per say is fine if your set up is good etc.....

Something has to float/give in my opinion. The reamer has to follow the bore. Any error in alignment and you egg shape the chamber. Some guys use a floating reamer holder, some guys hold the reamer with they're hand with a vise grip and use the tailstock to push the reamer etc..... Again what ever works for you.

The ammunition test barrels we make we have not had a single one ever come back because of a chamber issue. To also give you a further example...on some of the test barrels we make (three different calibers) we have to inspect the chambers with 10 different ball gauge sizes. We have to check the diameter of the chamber and the depth at that location. Two out of the 10 different tolerances we only have a .0008" tolerance.

Were using a method that works for us and gives us the quality we need in a timely fashion. Ask this question. Now many gunsmiths check/inspect the chamber size starting all the way up in the throat and back to the breech face with 10 different gauges? Yes we only do this for some of the test barrels we make as it is part of the requirement/inspection process that we have to make the barrels to.

Last bolt gun barrel I did for one of my rifles the run out in my chamber, fired cases etc...how ever you want to measure it is a .001" or less the best I can check it. The gun shoots to boot as well!

If there was a major problem with the set up we would see it but we don't. Is there a better way to do it? Probably....and will keep looking for that better way.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Back