Bartlein 8.25 to 7.75 gain twist.

JD Mock

I have been testing a Bartlein gain twist (8.25 to 7.75) for a few weeks. It, like most Bartlein's, is a great barrel. My best 3-shot groups have been a 0.078 at 100 yards and a 1.462 at 600 yards. The barrel is chambered for the 6mm Dasher on my BAT/ Leonard rifle.

The 0.078 group was shot with 33.0 grains of Varget and the 105 Berger VLD Target. The 600 yard group was with 33.0 grains of Varget and 106 grain Clinch River VLD's. Both loads were in the 2950 fps velocity range. CCI 450 primers were used throughout. The Dasher is an amazing little cartridge.

Attachments

• DSCF1380.JPG
    DSCF1380.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCF1379.JPG
    DSCF1379.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
James
In an earlier post you were using 31-31.5 grains of the new 8208XBR in your dasher.Did you run those loads over the chronograph and if yes what were you getting?
Lynn aka Waterboy

Lynn

I shot 31 grains of XBR behind a 107 Sierra Vld and got only 2824. 31 grains is not enough, and I believe that XBR is too fast for the 105-107 VLD bullets. I may bump the charge to 32 grains and check that. I like to shoot the VLD bullets at about 2950 in the Dasher. Good shooting.....James

JD...............I'm not trying to be smart, just curious? I have been spending a bit of time on the smokeless ML forum lately and am trying to get those guys into shooting five shot groups. Their theory is they only need the first shot to kill a deer. My theory is five shots is a better indicator of your rifles accuracy than three. With that being said, I see only three shots on those targets (at least the 600 yd. one)? We shoot five at 600? Again, not being smart, just curious?
Rich De

Rich

You are absolutely correct. Five shots are a much better indicator than 3. I use three shot groups to test loads in order to save my barrel. This barrel seems to be a good one, and I won my first 600 yard match with it last Saturday (March 20th). I am new to this 600 yard stuff and am still trying to learn what the wind does to the VLD bullets at that range. The load that I shot Saturday was 33.0 grains of Varget behind a 105 Berger VLD Target and a CCI 450 primer. Although it was a small club shoot, I am pleased with the results that I got in some nasty conditions. Good shooting....James

James
I tried 24 shots withe 8208 XBR at 31.5 grains with the 105 vld hunting bullets.The groups were decent but I had soot all over the shoulder of my cases.I am going out again this sunday and will step on the load a bit more to see what happens.
Lynn aka Waterboy

Back