Barrel thread protecters POA change?

elmerdeer

I had my gunsmith make me a muzzle thread protecter for my barrel when my muzzle brake is off of it, and I wanted some thing that my POA would not change much? Anyways he made me a thread protecter the same length and weight of my muzzle brake except for the hole in the front it is just open to .400", not like my muzzle brake which is for a 7mm.
I have not shot it yet so I dont know what the POA will be and if it will be a big change , has anyone done something similar? And what did you expierience? was the POA the same?
Thanks
Elmer

Not sure what "POA" is but if you're trying to keep your point of impact from shifting with the brake off..... then your gunsmith's solution is sound.

al

Testing is the only way to tell... it is not 100% predicable.

Elmer

Anything that is placed on the barrel will affect the vibration patterns, and changing the vibration patterns will change the Point of Impact.

If you are wanting the point of impact to be exactly as it was before, I doubt that will happen. Even thought the thread protector will be the exact weight, that does not mean it will affect the barrel the same way. If it did not affect the Point of Impact, the tuners we use on our Bnechrest Rifles would be useless.

As an example, I have a 5 ounce tuner on my Benchrest Rifles. They are on a 36 threads per inch. I can move the group as much as 3/8 to 1/2 inch by turning the tuner just one turn. That is an advance of just .028 inch. Keep in mind, I did not change the weight, just the weights position on the barrel.

If I can influence a Benchrest Barrel's Point of Impact with that small of a turn of a tuner, your barrel thread protector will do the same when you replace the muzzle brake with it.

But, not much. (you did mention the word "much"). It will not be so bad as the thing won't be on paper, since you are adding the exact same weight. It will simply change the harmonics a tad. The Rifle will still, I would guess, hit within about 3/4 inch as it did before.

What would be neat is if you could rig some type of jam nut, so you could actually turn your thread protector and re-lock it, and in a sense, making it a tuner..........jackie

Back