Barrel spinner/ polishing aid

jay
I thought you had a spinner rig of some sort. maybe I am mistaken??

maybe I am wrong, but I figure the barrel spinners are like most everything else. learn your tool and pay attention. the outcome should be just fine.

I bought a couple barring today at the local farm store. I think ill just make my own spinner.

lee

Slack Belt Polishing:

ry%3D400

Contact Wheel Grinding:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

No Skeet, I've always used my lathe, automotive wet or dry sand paper and WD-40.

I like the looks of that slack belt sander in woodhunters pic. Problem is having to buy another lathe to dedicate to polishing barrels.

No Skeet, I've always used my lathe, automotive wet or dry sand paper and WD-40.

I like the looks of that slack belt sander in woodhunters pic. Problem is having to buy another lathe to dedicate to polishing barrels.

Yea I have three lathes in the 3 shop, the grinding and rough work is mostly accomplished on the belt drive 13x36 Jet. A few things help:

Both of my Jets (the other is a 14x40 gear drive) have induction hardened ways.

When polishing a barrrel, the lathe is run in reverse. The grinder has a reversible motor. Belt runs upwards against the barrel. The result of this is the grinding plume goes upward and back and is sucked up by the shop vac (note the vac hose).

Easy as pie.

That slack belt grinder hatched out of the scrap box one cold winter day when I needed a project.

These things are way overpriced IMO, but I think I can build it fairly reasonably.
r36cp.GIF

Enco had a 20% off everything and free shipping yesterday and ordered one a Kalamazoo 1x42 belt sander for $207 shipped to my door! Will come in handy for all kinds of things and the nice thing is, its made in USA and belts are cheap and easy to change.

I found the specs on that Hardin sander. It takes a 1.5x30" belt. I can't find any belts available in 240 & 320 grit in 1.5" width.
I wonder how a 1" belt would track on that little sander?

With a 1x42, all kinds of belts are available from 3M...600, 1200, Leather and scotchbrite belts.

We use the Metabo brand stainless pipe polishers at work. Pretty bad never thought about using them on a barrel. Metabo makes sanding belts from 60 to 2000 grit, felt bands for polishing, and non woven like scotch brite belts as well. We keep most of it in stock for jobs. I will try a old barrel tomorrow.

Dale

That Metobo costs $1200.00.
I found some 1.5"x30" belts in 320 grit for $17 per 10 pack. That makes that Hardin a little more usable. I hate to buy a sander that doesnt use common sizes like ones available from 3M or normal stock items at MSC.

After looking at some of the pics above, im thinking I could just build one. I have an old, but good Bench grinder not doing a dam thing but collecting dust. Mount it to a steel plate, and weld up a little frame work. make some rollers, and a slack/balance adjustment. Only down side I see, is there wont be any speed adjustment, other than what I can do with different wheel sizes. Pretty sure it's doable. Lee

If you want to try a sexy, low shine finish, use a Makita orbital sander, with a new 220 grit paper in it, and the lathe running at 60-100 rpm. Slowly run the sander down the barrel, moving so new paper is in contact as it runs down the barrel. Almost looks like damascus swirls, and a satin finish for SS barrels.

I tried that with 320 grit and thought about leaving the barrel finished that way. I decided I couldn't live with the smart ass comments that I know was going to happen at the range.
Something like "who the hell tried to polish that barrel?"
I foresaw me getting pissed off about it so I polished it up all nice and shiny without any fancy swirls scratched into the finish.

Got my Kalamazoo belt sander the other day. Still need to order some 600 grit and finer and scotch brite belts for it. Also made a notion to get started on a barrel spinner. Should work pretty nice...hopefully. Will keep the grit away from the lathe at least...

Let us know how it works when you get your spinnin jig finished and start polishing barrels. I've heard that those 2 roller belt sanders try to throw the belt off when you get a barrel up against it. I hear you got to learn how to polish the barrel while keeping your eyes on the belt and sorta lean the barrel one way to the other as the sanding belt tries to walk off the rollers on either side.
You might end up fabricating a another roller and bracket so you can have a 3rd pulley in the back to help keep it centered.

Back