Barrel PreTreat For HBN

Greg,

5 pounds is a lot, 8 ounces or a pound is more about as much as I would ever purchase for my uses. Realize you'll need some HCPL for the bullet coatings, and some AC6111 for the Barrel treatment. 8 ounces of each will last a long time. I don't know what he is going to come back with as far as a price for 5 pounds but if you get that, you'll be splitting it with the whole gun club. Let me know how it works out, My understanding was that Jon helped set up the other company, (TIA Lubricants) so that small quantities could be sold, less than the minimum 5 pounds that momentive required.

Paul

I sent the email you posted from Jon List to Tom and he got things straight with Momentive. I think it was just some miscommunication.

He's going to get back with me when he gets prices worked out. I'll keep everyone posted.

I have some 70nm now. I've requested a spec sheet from Momentive showing the AC6111 so that I have a feel for it. The spec sheet that I found showed HCP, HCPH, HCPL and AC6004, but no AC6111.

Best regards,

Greg J.

I hope they can quote the specs to me.

If I'm reading the spec sheets right, the little bit of 70nm that I have now is .07 the size of the HCPL.

OK, got the datasheet from Momentive.

The AC6111 is, taking the best measurement, 0.1 um = 100 nm.

Paul, help me out here... Is the HCPL *better* than the AC6111 or 70 nm for coating bullets? Or is the HCPL grade just as good as AC6111/70nm and more cost effective?

Greg J.

If this helps anyone???

I got my 70nm HBN from lowerfriction.com.

A "Trial Sample" costs $90.00 for 1 lb. Enough for two lifetimes unless you like to spread it on your cheerios as a morning laxative.

Does nm actually stand for nanometer? One billionth of a meter?

Science and shooting are not my strong points.

BN morphology

Folks:

I work for one of the BN manufacturers. I just wanted to clarify something about the various forms out there.

BN usually comes about by reacting some B-containing and N-containing chemicals. For our grades, this early stage material is called "primary" material. It is typically an agglomerated particle about 7 microns and composed of poorly formed platelets of BN (like graphite platelets) with a size of 0.1 to 0.4 microns. The BN has some oxygen impurities that make it not form pure BN, but it is still somewhat lubricious. We can reduce the size of this particle to about 1 to 2 microns, but it will still be composed of 0.1 to 0.4 micron poorly formed or "turbostratic" platelts. We call this grade AC6111, and folks have used it for barrel treatments.

If you further crystallize primary grade material, you can arrive at 8-10 micron platelets that are very lubricious. One of these grades is HCPL, and folks have tumbled this with bullets. It has low oxygen impurities and has nice platelet formation.

These are not the only grades we make, but they probably are more economical than some. Of course, economical is a matter of opinion. BN costs so much, because it is synthetic and requires such high temperatures to form.

I have also seen the 70-nm stuff out there and sampled some for analysis. It is like a cross between our primary and crystalline grade, with a particle size of 0.07 microns.

ok i have been a moly guy for years...yep way back when...all but one of my rifles(40 plus) get moly. i'm considering trying the bn and pretreat the bore.
lets hope the new supplier will put together some small qyt packaging.

thanks
mike in co

So is it correct that the HCPL is 100 times larger than the 70-nm and the AC6111 is half the size of the 70-nm. Can the 70-nm then be used for either barrel pretreating or bullet coating or neither. I'm thinking either but I might have missed something.

So is it correct that the HCPL is 100 times larger than the 70-nm and the AC6111 is half the size of the 70-nm. Can the 70-nm then be used for either barrel pretreating or bullet coating or neither. I'm thinking either but I might have missed something.
HCPL is about 100x larger than 70-nm.
AC6111 is about 10x larger than 70-nm.

I think the 70-nm and AC6111 grades can both be used for barrel treatments, and in fact both have been used for barrel treatments. I don't know if HCPL could be used for the barrel treatment, because no one has (to my knowledge) tried it. However, AC6111 is cheaper than HCPL. If AC6111 works, I'd go with that!

Folks, Tom the fellow that is selling smaller lots of the Momentive HBN sent me the following nice email:

Hi Greg,

Just wanted to keep you updated on our progress on packaging the BN powders. We have the material. We should have these ready to sell within the next few weeks. We are waiting on the containers to arrive to our warehouse, so we can fill them with each grade. Below is the pricing.

Grade AC6111 (Barrell Treatment)

1 oz. jar: $7.95
2 oz. jar: $13.95

Grade HCPL (Bullet Treatment)

1 oz. jar: $9.95
2 oz. jar: $16.95

We have had many customers place their order now. You may do so, or wait until the material arrives. We accept Visa/MasterCard or you may mail a check once the material arrives to you.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to doing business.

Regards,

Tom Madden
TAI Lubricants
PO Box 1579
Hockessin, DE 19707
USA
(302) 326-0200
(302) 326-0400 fax
nyoil@aol.com
www.lubekits.com

ounces are measured by volume and by weight.... which measurement is used on these Jars full of hBN? Might be a good question to ask, since a one pound Bag is about the size of a sofa pillow. I wonder how big these 1 and 2 ounce jars are?

Paul

Just Curious

One of the selling points of coating bullets is you can get through an entire agg without cleaning.

At our Varmint for Score Match at Austin last week end, I decided to not clean (I also pre-loaded, another first). I fired 46 rounds, and for all purposes, the 30BR was shooting just as good on the last target as it did the first. Quite well.

So, here is my question. If cleaning a 30 cal seems to be not neccessary with non coated bullets, what is the advantage of coating them??

Not trying to be contrary, just an honest inquiry........jackie

Received the following promptly from Tom. It looks like things have kicked loose and we'll see the HBN next week or so.

Greg J.

----

Hi Greg,

It has been a bit longer than anticipated. The jars just arrived to my warehouse today. I will be spending the weekend filling them. Should be able to ship orders on Monday and Tuesday.

Please inform folks that all future orders will have no delays. Material will be stocked and will be able to ship the same day the order is received.

Thank you for your patience as we launch this new product line.

Regards,

Tom Madden
TAI Lubricants
PO Box 1579
Hockessin, DE 19707
USA
(302) 326-0200
(302) 326-0400 fax
nyoil@aol.com
www.lubekits.com

Back