barrel makers for 22 rimfire

what is your pick in who is making your 22 rim fire barrels and why?i am looking to build one next year but it will take me that time to get the money for all the parts.
thak you for your time.
gary b

Several different manufacturer's make quality barrels. Shilen, Muller, Douglas, Broughton, and many others. Check with your gunsmith and see what he prefers. If you are asking about a gunsmith once again there are many. Check the equipment list from some of the ARA matches. Then call and talk to whomever you decide to use. Good luck.
PS. There are some good used proven rifles for sale. Might save you money and time.

This past winter, I got my first custom barrel. I had to save up for almost a year as well to cover the barrel and the smithing cost. I bought a Shilen 4groove Ratchet for my Rem 40Xb and it shoots better than me. I racked up an ARA 2350 earlier this afternoon, which tells me the rifle and ammo get along just fine. Unfortunately, the wind began switching and my scores plummeted for the remaining 3 cards. That's on me, not the rifle and ammo. I am very satisfied with my 4R Shilen barrel I got from Killough and 3 other members of my ARA league use one, including the guy who took first place this afternoon. He racked up a 9K+ score for 4 cards, using Eley Tenex as he had his chambered fir that line of ammo. Its a tough league with 3 or 4 members pretty reliably turning in 8800+ scores for 4 cards. The rest of us jockey for not being in last place. Being on a budget, ammo is very challenging in terms of the toll it takes on your funds. If you're not rolling in dough, I recommend getting that barrel chambered for Lapua and going with the Center-X. At $10.50/box, it holds its own with the more expensive Eley, at least in the league I shoot in. You will need to get a box of each lot of Center-X speed to see which one your rifle likes, then buy as much as your budget allows. There's a good price break if you get a case and work off of it for a few years. First, shoot a brick of SK+ through the barrel, along with aggressive cleaning to get it broken in. My rifle shoots SK+ well also, though the quality is less than the Center-X in terms of how many rounds in each box fly differently from the rest. This is not an endeavor for folks struggling to make ends meet.

Hoot

don't know of any hobby that fits in that description

IMHO, there are plenty of hobbies that are no where near as deep a monetary black hole as Rimfire BR shooting. Most of the members of the local ARA league I participate in are pulling down 6 figure incomes and a two with 7. They don't think twice about dropping $1.5-2.0K+ for a case of ammo their gun likes.

Hoot

Although every hobby I am involved in can lead to deep holes that need to be filled with a lot of money, all of them can also be done on lower budgets. Club shoots, Factory Class shoots etc. can be much less costly and if you in the sport to enjoy it, I am not good enough to win shooting with the big boys, but I love shooting with them just the same. Although it is almost impossible to load 22 rim rife to find the perfect shell as in CF, the cost or quality competition grade ammo is not very much different then the cost of reloading centerfire benchrest cartridges. When I started my venture from CF to RF BR, I started with a used rifle that the prior owner had spent a lot of money on testing ammo. With his notes, I got a great shooting combination for less than I expected to spend.

My $5,000 used sailboat does just fine in the local Wednesday night handicapped races against $300,000 J boats. At last year award dinner, I was shocked to get a 3rd Place trophy. Not so shock after learning there were only three boats in my class all season, but my crew included one young lady that brought cold food and actually knew how to sail, one young lady that brought hot food and one that brought champagne, who needs and expensive boat! :cool:

Bob

Last edited:
Back