Barrel liners?

Barrel linings aren't known for accuracy for several reasons, but mostly due to the relatively poor tolerances of the liners.

In benchrest situations, the variation in radial (gas pressure) expansion, due to inconsistent epoxy thickness, or air bubbles within the epoxy layer, might also affect accuracy in otherwise excellent bore liners.

I don't think a whole lot of standard relining unless you are just interested in squirrel rifles.

On the other hand, having a Lilja turned down to 0.625 or so (or made that way), and then using it as a liner can and will work rather well. And it opens the door to a couple of other options.

Brent

quality liner....

As a fan of older Winchester 56 rifles in .22 SHORT, I have considered a liner in an origional barrel that someone has run a Long Rifle reamer into [:mad:], or has a pitted or otherwise less than decent bore. Redman has 1:20" twist liners but a high quality liner made from a Lilja/Shilen barrel has come to mind! That rollmark on the origional barrel IS worth something to me.

I don't think a whole lot of standard relining unless you are just interested in squirrel rifles.

On the other hand, having a Lilja turned down to 0.625 or so (or made that way), and then using it as a liner can and will work rather well. And it opens the door to a couple of other options.

Brent

I thought about that, but also a screw-in barrel liner that could allow various calibers with the same tube. It would probably make for a heavy rifle.

Did I hear somebody say Blaser or TC?

Redman Liners

I had an old Winchester 1 1/8 barrel, that went south. Rather than fight getting another barrel to fit the full length stock, I had it relined. Still not happy with the accuracy. They look good, but when slugging, it is very uneven. Lots of loose and tight spots in the overall 30" length. I would only attempt this again with something other than a Target Rifle.

If you used a regular purpose-made liner, like a TJ's I think your experience is par for the course. But a 1 1/8" barrel woudl be about a #4 I think. You could bore that out to say 0.75" or more and order up a straight Lilja to match. The results would not be comparable if correctly done.

Not worth it

I shoot maybe 150 rounds a yesr with that barrel, so I don't think it's worth the trouble. The other problem, is getting someone that knows how to do it.

Appreciate the shared experiences, such dissappointing news. I had hoped for better, what with the "tensioned barrels" out there and such.
Take care.
warren

Well for that sort of shooting, probably not worth it. But what sort of Winchester is it?

I know of a few folks that really know how to do it. But only a few.

Brent

Back