barrel length

is there a perfect so to speak length for the 6mm ppc in any of the varmint classes?also what would be your choosen barrel make and twist if you were to get one today

See the article on "Secrets of the Huston warehouse" if you think there should be a perfect length. Stated in the article they thought it was 21.75 inches. Not sure it can always work out that way. You can always shorten but very hard to put it back. I have rechambered twice. It is a little short of that now.

Given a high quality barrel, for a LV its length is determined by how much it can weigh to make 10.5 pounds.
It is not uncommon to see a Hunter class barrel contour used on an LV to make weight, since they are smaller in diameter than the typical LV contours. For a HV its the same procedure, you just have more room for heavier/longer barrel.
For either class you weigh the finished rifle less a barrel, subtract that weight form 168 for LV and 216 for HV and you get what the max barrel can weigh. Most smiths subtract one ounce from the max weight to allow for scale error at a match.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

My LV barrels weigh 5lbs at 21" long, and that's with a 4oz tuner on the end. Without the tuner it would be closer to 21 1/2". My newest Barrels are Bartlein, and 13.5 twists.

Back