Barrel gripping block

MilGunsmith

What is the opinion on barrel block design? Round or V-block? Aluminum block directly on steel barrel? Paper, plastic, or rubber between steel and aluminum? Bed with Marine-Tex or similar? This will have to work with miltiple barrels for ammo development.

My Powell has a V-block design. I cut three long, narrow strips of that 10-mil PVC tape to serve as a buffer between the barrel and the block at teh three points of contact. This has worked very well for several different barrels that varied from 1.450 down to 1.350 and even a bit smaller.

Rod

I have noticed in the pictures section, that some of the V-block designs are a V-block on bottom and a flat plate for a 3-point contact, and others are a double V-block for a four point contact. Any preferences? This will be for 1.500" dia. barrels in .338 Lapua Mag and .300 Win Mag.

Yes. We are working on sniper ammo and need to have an accurate setup to test from. Probably going to have to use Thompson Bearings to keep it together.

WOW, now I have a question. That a powerful round, how will you keep the rail from flying off? I was under the impression that the weight held it down.

"Bill Gruby"

WOW, now I have a question. That a powerful round, how will you keep the rail from flying off? I was under the impression that the weight held it down.

"Bill Gruby"

That was my concern. If you put a magnum chambered barrel on my "Young" ,you're gonna have the cradle in your lap every time you set it off.

Another question. Windage is adjusted at the rear and pivots at the front. Elevation is adjusted at the front and pivots at the rear of the Rail Guns. Either the bearing or the rail must be locked. How are you going to incorporate this? Or did I miss something. Curiosity killed the cat but this really grabbed my attention.

"Bill Gruby"

We use a Frank Mann designed "Bond Mount" for testing. Windage and elevation are built into it. The different test mounts then attach to it. This is a setup we did to catch the bullet as it left the case on High Speed video. This is useing the old V-Block accuracy setup on the Bond mount. We will make a Thompson Rail fixture to attach to the mount.

Attachments

• 2012 Setup 009.jpg
    2012 Setup 009.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 828
  • 2012 Setup 011.jpg
    2012 Setup 011.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 778
Thank you for the pictures. It is easily seen now how you could incorporate the Linear Bearing Rail. That is quite a set up you gents have.

"Bill Gruby"

Why don't you build an extended plate on the sides of the upper and sand bag them,or counter-weigh them ? Those MASSIVE springs may be effecting accuracy.
The Barrel blocks on our rails are about 6" long and most,,not all,, are torqued to specific settings. That short block may be Choking the barrel.
Are you taking the lash / harmonics into consideration ? a 1.500 will shoot differently than a .750

I M O which is reinforced by better rail shooters than I am,, 3 point is the way to go on Powell based design ( Aluminum to steel), however a mylar sleeve works well on a Young design ( Round) . NO BEDDING Compounds,,,, You're in UNCHARTED TERRITORY

Pretty rare that my rail will like the same load that my bag guns like. Just saying.

Last edited:
First off whats the accuracy standards youre hoping for? If youre hoping for 3/4moa anything will work. If youre trying to prove better i dont think the linear bearings are gonna cut it. You could make an underslung rail and make the slides extremely long. You can have it hit a long spring plunger after 1/2-2" travel then slow down over a couple feet. Of course in a tunnel youll have time to let the wake turbulance settle and realign the scope each time

The current ammo is shooting 1.5-2moa in the current production rifles. We are trying to improve both. Our tunnels are 16'w x 16'h, so I don't know if we are getting turbulance. The old method of testing was to put 5 warmers downrange, check that they are on target, then shoot a 10 shot group. The old setup has no scope, shot like artillery.

Last edited:
Barrel/ action block

Thank you for accepting me into this forum:)
Quick question: is the action on a vblock to the stock and a secondary clamp to the barrel from the forend?
I'm currently experimenting with that set up and only days from taking it for some range testing.
I will start a thread in the appropriate chapter.
Thank you
Fernando

Attachments

• Baby Par.jpg
    Baby Par.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 579
  • S1250004.jpg
    S1250004.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 524
I have noticed in the pictures section, that some of the V-block designs are a V-block on bottom and a flat plate for a 3-point contact, and others are a double V-block for a four point contact. Any preferences? This will be for 1.500" dia. barrels in .338 Lapua Mag and .300 Win Mag.
Why not just build a blocked heavy gun like the 1000 yard guys? I have seen 10 shot groups from the upper two inches to 4 or 5 inches consistently at 1000 yards. Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back