Barrel Block or not?

JerryK

I'm building a Heavy Gun with an 8" BAT VR single shot 1.375" diam action (basically a Remington 700) and a 32" long 1.25" straight barrel. I'm concerned about hanging that much weight off just a pillar and bedded short action in a laminate stock. So I was considering using a Whidden aluminum bedding block with a bedding job (including 1 1/2" of barrel), or using the Shehane 6" barrel block. Which do you think is the best way to go for 1000yd shooting?

Attachments

• barrel block.jpg
    barrel block.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,695
  • blocks_image_1_1.png
    blocks_image_1_1.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 599
Jerry
In my opinion the Whidden system is not intended as an aid whenn using heavy barrels.
The Shehane block holds the barrel and lets you free float the action which takes all the stress off of it.
I would go with the Shehane block if it was my gun.
Lynn

Lynn, thank you. That's the direction I'd like to go. However, my preference is for a split barrel block. Can you or anyone recommend a source, or a machinist who would make one?

Jerry
I live in california so I can't recommend anybody out here.It runs $120 an hour for machine work out here and the last barrel blocks I had made ran $420 just to bore the two barrel holes.
I would post what you want in the 600/1000 yard forum as there are alot of home machinists there who do good work at better prices.
Lynn

I have a couple of Bill Shehane's blocks on 1.350 no taper barrels and I'm VERY satisfied with the results. He normaly sells 1.25 or 1.45 bored blocks. mine are the solid style.

I have a barrel block / stock for sale.

pm me if you like.

s.

If I could I ask then, what functions as a recoil lug with a block setup? Is the barrel stepped down at the block so it has a shoulder to hit the block? Or is the clamping force enough to keep the barrel from moving?

JerryK
The barrel block will hold the barrel and you don't need or want a recoil lug.I used a tapered barrel block made out of aluminum on a stainless steel barrel one time and got some cleaning fluid spilled on it.When I loosened up the 3 clamping screws i couldn't slide the barrel out so I tried a rubber mallet.Long story short I ended up using a large hammer and ruined the block before it finaly moved enough to slide off.
Waterboy aka Lynn

Back