BANG... oops you're dead

Tim Oltersdorf

Based on recent and possible future political events gun ownership will probably again be a national issue. Politics aside there is a practical issue with firearm ownership. Based on observation I have come to believe that, if not a majority, at least a significant number of people who purchase firearms do not know how to use them, let alone safely use them. I am now convinced that to purchase a firearm you should be able to show that you can load it, unload it, make it safe, able to fire it and hit at least in the vicinity of the target. I am a lifetime member of the NRA, the Texas Rifle Association and the NBRSA . I know this smacks of gun control but lets face it; someone using a firearm in an unsafe manner is a danger to themselves, you and a potential propaganda tool for gun grabbers to use against us. I would be interested in hearing from forum readers on this subject. Is this reasonable? If so, how should it be implemented. Am I a secret undercover agent for the left? Tim

I would be more in favor of it if it was a States issue and not Federal! Maybe administered by the seller before turning the firearm
over to the buyer. Many states have waiting periods before taking ownership so I don't see this as a major inconvenience for
the buyer. A class could be given to several individuals by a qualified instructor at the end of the day or week, especially if they
are buying ammo! Many people buying a gun for the first time, purchase the wrong ammo for the gun.
Safety first and always.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Tim,
There is no way in this so called "Free World" that you can fix stupidity,& some stay up nights studying to be more ignorant.

A mandatory hunter safety/concealed carry course should be a prerequisite to any firearm purchase...for all ages.

Based on recent and possible future political events gun ownership will probably again be a national issue. [It will always be a national issue.] Politics aside [that's hard to do, but if you insist, I'll go on as though you mean that] there is a practical issue with firearm ownership. Based on observation I have come to believe that, if not a majority, at least a significant number of people who purchase firearms do not know how to use them, let alone safely use them. [The same can be said about a lot of things we use on a daily basis.] I am now convinced that to purchase a firearm you should be able to show that you can load it, unload it, make it safe, able to fire it and hit at least in the vicinity of the target....I know this smacks of gun control [yes, it does, but you said to leave politics out of this] but lets face it; someone using a firearm in an unsafe manner is a danger to themselves, you [as is the unsafe use of a lot of things we use on a daily basis] and a potential propaganda tool for gun grabbers to use against us. I would be interested in hearing from forum readers on this subject. Is this reasonable? [See below.]...Am I a secret undercover agent for the left? [See below.]

Given that we live in a "free country" (uh oh, that sounds like politics) and many of us question the motives of "Big Brother," I don't think it's reasonable to rely on some bureaucrat or politician to tell us who's safe with a gun.

Are you a secret undercover agent for the left? Based on the underlined sentence above, it would be hard to convince me that you're "undercover."

:)

Based on recent and possible future political events gun ownership will probably again be a national issue. Politics aside there is a practical issue with firearm ownership. Based on observation I have come to believe that, if not a majority, at least a significant number of people who purchase firearms do not know how to use them, let alone safely use them. I am now convinced that to purchase a firearm you should be able to show that you can load it, unload it, make it safe, able to fire it and hit at least in the vicinity of the target. I am a lifetime member of the NRA, the Texas Rifle Association and the NBRSA . I know this smacks of gun control but lets face it; someone using a firearm in an unsafe manner is a danger to themselves, you and a potential propaganda tool for gun grabbers to use against us. I would be interested in hearing from forum readers on this subject. Is this reasonable? If so, how should it be implemented. Am I a secret undercover agent for the left? Tim

Tim, I would agree, with a couple caveats:

-The names of those individuals at classes not be available to any State, Federal or private entity.

-Persons administering the 'testing' not be affiliated with/employed by any State or Federal agency.

Good shootin'. -Al

Tim, a visit to any of the public ranges, especially indoor pistol ranges, will confirm what you are stating. If it wasn’t so serious, it would be comical.

Our 2d Amendment guarantees our right to keep and bear arms. Sometimes I wish there was a caveat to the affect......”unless you are a total moron”.

This is a touchy subject, which generally revolves around the age old question......”but who gets to decide”.

As responsible firearms owners, we need to lead the way in safety, training, and common sense.

When I started hunting, "accidents" in the woods were all too common. As a youngster, I witnessed some very unsafe behavior. One group of "hunters" seemed to be playing army, running through the woods, even falling down, all while holding loaded guns and yelling.

Thankfully, mandatory hunter education really put a dent in that sort of thing. I spent a number of years as an instructor. We covered safe handling and use of all major action types. Most students were very receptive. If not, they didn't pass.

I can see expanding this sort of thing to all firearms users. There is still a lot of firearms owners and users that could stand some safety instruction. Some recommendations for basic courtesy wouldn't hurt either. More than once I've left the range and went home rather than be subjected to bad behavior.

sorry but no
just to hard to make it happen
the real problem is we do not teach it in school to anyone that wants.
grow up with firearms common sense.
we are 40 years behind the other side of poor education
i grew up before this was a problem

sorry but no
just to hard to make it happen
the real problem is we do not teach it in school to anyone that wants.
grow up with firearms common sense.
we are 40 years behind the other side of poor education
i grew up before this was a problem

Have to agree with Mike on this one. Plus be careful of what road you start down.

The Constitution states we have the right to "keep and bear".

Safely??

Nothing written about SAFETY!!!

Bureaucrats can judge safety??

JerrySharrett :

Of course they do judge (their own) safety !!!! First Command : Armed individuals could raise a revolution aka firearms among citizens is BAD. And for firearms in the hands of criminals, no problem, the citizen is insured. Leftist Bureaucrats : furthermore, a criminal already is a victim of the Society.

That's the way of Bureaucrats in the entire known Universe, and even anywhere else.

Furthermore ......

I am in France.

I had the chance to learn shooting and to learn the due respect to firearms with my Dad when I was a child, almost 50 years ago. At that time, many people -adults, so called reference for me - were already explaining me that firearm is BAD.

At the age of 16 I was a licensed shooter and Dad owned for me 2 Win 94. And the 9422 weared (and is still wearing) a Williams FoolProof aperture sight.

Later on, I (had the chance to) enter a 1.5 year mandatory military period and was teached again about shooting, carrying and so on, while many guys belonging to my class of age did whatever was possible to avoid that military time, from making a baby to simulated psycho issues. I chosed a way guiding me to aspirant-officer position, artillery, recon/topography, managing 12 to 20 guys. Back to the civilian world, it took me YEARS as an engineer and manager to achieve the same level of responsability and people management. I DO certainly not regret that period of my life, even if some potential employers told me it was a pure loss of time. Dude, that was certainly not, and so they remained "potential".

Later on, I had the chance to be allowed to enter some LEOs firearm training cessions and LEOs "situation" matches. A very few days per year, I can carry and shoot "police stages" reproducing a real situation with a scenario, hostile and non hostile targets, doors, windows, corridors, vehicles, simulating a shop, a house, limited time. Half the situations are shot by two-person team. Shooting is 2/3 of the scoring, analysis/behaviour 1/3 and shooting a non hostile is a scoring catastrophe, but still easier than a 15 year period for homicide.That was created in Europe by the Liège Police School in Belgium, to place LEOs in "realistic life" shooting situation and to highly enforce on the situation analysis prior making the decision to shoot (or not) . Believe me, taking a good shot, even if in a dark room holding both handgun and light is the easy part of it.

Later on, I entered the IPSC-R, shooting an AK platform.

To make that long story short, let's say I was open minded and lucky enough to receive some firearm education all along my life. I self-assess I am quite a calm and safe guy to meet on a shooting range.

I am living in a country where firearm possession is totally prohibited since 1995. As a legal exception, registred sport shooters, hunters, may be authorized to own firearms, ammos and use them in registred shooting clubs and at hunting.

There is a class for the people willing to become hunters, then an examination, this topped by a State license allowing the recipient to hunt if he succeeded in the exam.

The sport shooter also runs some basic training at the shooting range, and the range president shall assess the shooter to be ok with basic firearms handling and safety rules prior the guy could get licensed as a sport shooter.

Then there is a 6 month period during witch that newly licensed shooter should practice under the eye of range officers before he could purchase a handgun or a high cap semi-auto carbine.

Despite all that constrain in the process, as mentioned in a post here above, I have been leaving the range several time to get away from hazardous handling or shooting.

My main concern is that when you, fellow experienced shooter and competitor, go to these morrons and gently explain how their handling is dangerous for the others, and try to teach them, they just react badly in a "I do what I want to do, I do not care of any rules" way. Not to say about the KILLING "That gun is unloaded".

My latest shooting club has a video system permanently recording on all the ranges, with several cameras at the shooting places and some cameras looking down range to see where people are shooting and to see what people are shooting at (yep, that asshole shooting cans on the ground with 100% bullets ricochetting outside the range). The system is 100% legal, declared at the State.

Nevertheless, we had enough safety concerns last year with people acting badly to invest and switch to high definition video system allowing for a face recognition and car plate reading at some longer distance.

And approx 10 members out of a 650 pool are "fired" every year for safety issues with firearms or bad behaviouring on the range.

All this to enhance on the fact that, IMHO, the lack of some kind of normal respect due to a "dangerous machine" and due to other citizens around you is the main issue.

Same goes on the road with drivers behaviouring.

Elementary courtesy seems to barely exist anymore. Even worse, acting "badass" tends to become a must. (Yep, I am a wolf among the sheeps !!! I am MAN !!)

At the shooting range, the one who does not know, but cares about, can very easily ask, been teached, learn "how to"s, pays attention to what the other are doing.

But unfortunately, for many, acting badass is their way of life.

Whatever civilian or State type of enforcement, that will not solve that issue. Enforcement in France is high on drivers and extreme on LEGAL gun owners. No success.

It's not about enforcement, it's educational, it's about living in a Society / Community with showing normal respect to others around you. And when you have a loaded firearm in you hands or on your hip, you have to show even more respect to both people and the gun.

With regards to firemarms, successive French Gov'ts all made the choice to reduce legal firearm possession. That brought them leftist/ecolo votes, but solved, as we all know, an ABSOLUTE NOTHING regarding public safety and terro/criminal use of firearms.

Pick one

You guys ought to pick which side your on, its a little fuzzy looking from here. the guy was on his own dam property in the midst of a bunch of lowlifes. shaking my F#$%^&G head.

Our club provides a junior program, introduction to handguns / firearms and hunter safety classes and they are all open to the public as well. Out here you cannot obtain a hunting license without first passing a hunters safety course. Been that way as long as I can remember and am now going on 70. Every firearm sold comes with safety instructions and the proper handling of. Those who legally can do have a right to own firearms and they are also responsible for how they are to be properly handled and used. You cannot regulate or control stupidity and the last thing anyone needs is more mandated governmental control / infringment on your rights. Especially when it comes to not being able to protect yourself, your family, your property and more importantly the security of a free state and the intent of our 2nd amendment rights. As it is out my way you already have to be approved to buy or transfer ammunition and hopefully it will be rejected by the courts. Read it is this really what you want to happen to your family, your friends and to yourselves. Read it and think about what you will have to do just to pickup a box of 22 long rifles at your local sporting goods store. We also now have to have a license to be able to purchase ammunition off of the internet. This also gives the ATF the ability to come to your house at will. Some might say this is not a big deal but if you are a competitive smallbore competitor you have to have that license to buy a case or two of Eley or preferred other from a distributor and all out of state.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/apap

Bang, oops you're dead

Tim, IMO, Gun safety is an individual responsibility.
Always has been, always will be. Kinda reminds me of the old Smokey the Bear Ad. “Only you can prevent forest fires”

Would Mandatory,pre-ownership, gun safety instructions, prevent the political fallout from accidental shootings? May prevent the accident.

Some of the best trained ,safety conscious, gun owners, sometimes make impulsive decisions that play into the hands of zealots.

Glenn

I am in France.

I had the chance to learn shooting and to learn the due respect to firearms with my Dad when I was a child, almost 50 years ago. At that time, many people -adults, so called reference for me - were already explaining me that firearm is BAD.

At the age of 16 I was a licensed shooter and Dad owned for me 2 Win 94. And the 9422 weared (and is still wearing) a Williams FoolProof aperture sight.

Later on, I (had the chance to) enter a 1.5 year mandatory military period and was teached again about shooting, carrying and so on, while many guys belonging to my class of age did whatever was possible to avoid that military time, from making a baby to simulated psycho issues. I chosed a way guiding me to aspirant-officer position, artillery, recon/topography, managing 12 to 20 guys. Back to the civilian world, it took me YEARS as an engineer and manager to achieve the same level of responsability and people management. I DO certainly not regret that period of my life, even if some potential employers told me it was a pure loss of time. Dude, that was certainly not, and so they remained "potential".

Later on, I had the chance to be allowed to enter some LEOs firearm training cessions and LEOs "situation" matches. A very few days per year, I can carry and shoot "police stages" reproducing a real situation with a scenario, hostile and non hostile targets, doors, windows, corridors, vehicles, simulating a shop, a house, limited time. Half the situations are shot by two-person team. Shooting is 2/3 of the scoring, analysis/behaviour 1/3 and shooting a non hostile is a scoring catastrophe, but still easier than a 15 year period for homicide.That was created in Europe by the Liège Police School in Belgium, to place LEOs in "realistic life" shooting situation and to highly enforce on the situation analysis prior making the decision to shoot (or not) . Believe me, taking a good shot, even if in a dark room holding both handgun and light is the easy part of it.

Later on, I entered the IPSC-R, shooting an AK platform.

To make that long story short, let's say I was open minded and lucky enough to receive some firearm education all along my life. I self-assess I am quite a calm and safe guy to meet on a shooting range.

I am living in a country where firearm possession is totally prohibited since 1995. As a legal exception, registred sport shooters, hunters, may be authorized to own firearms, ammos and use them in registred shooting clubs and at hunting.

There is a class for the people willing to become hunters, then an examination, this topped by a State license allowing the recipient to hunt if he succeeded in the exam.

The sport shooter also runs some basic training at the shooting range, and the range president shall assess the shooter to be ok with basic firearms handling and safety rules prior the guy could get licensed as a sport shooter.

Then there is a 6 month period during witch that newly licensed shooter should practice under the eye of range officers before he could purchase a handgun or a high cap semi-auto carbine.

Despite all that constrain in the process, as mentioned in a post here above, I have been leaving the range several time to get away from hazardous handling or shooting.

My main concern is that when you, fellow experienced shooter and competitor, go to these morrons and gently explain how their handling is dangerous for the others, and try to teach them, they just react badly in a "I do what I want to do, I do not care of any rules" way. Not to say about the KILLING "That gun is unloaded".

My latest shooting club has a video system permanently recording on all the ranges, with several cameras at the shooting places and some cameras looking down range to see where people are shooting and to see what people are shooting at (yep, that asshole shooting cans on the ground with 100% bullets ricochetting outside the range). The system is 100% legal, declared at the State.

Nevertheless, we had enough safety concerns last year with people acting badly to invest and switch to high definition video system allowing for a face recognition and car plate reading at some longer distance.

And approx 10 members out of a 650 pool are "fired" every year for safety issues with firearms or bad behaviouring on the range.

All this to enhance on the fact that, IMHO, the lack of some kind of normal respect due to a "dangerous machine" and due to other citizens around you is the main issue.

Same goes on the road with drivers behaviouring.

Elementary courtesy seems to barely exist anymore. Even worse, acting "badass" tends to become a must. (Yep, I am a wolf among the sheeps !!! I am MAN !!)

At the shooting range, the one who does not know, but cares about, can very easily ask, been teached, learn "how to"s, pays attention to what the other are doing.

But unfortunately, for many, acting badass is their way of life.

Whatever civilian or State type of enforcement, that will not solve that issue. Enforcement in France is high on drivers and extreme on LEGAL gun owners. No success.

It's not about enforcement, it's educational, it's about living in a Society / Community with showing normal respect to others around you. And when you have a loaded firearm in you hands or on your hip, you have to show even more respect to both people and the gun.

With regards to firemarms, successive French Gov'ts all made the choice to reduce legal firearm possession. That brought them leftist/ecolo votes, but solved, as we all know, an ABSOLUTE NOTHING regarding public safety and terro/criminal use of firearms.

We here have the view of a fellow shooter who enjoys NONE of the rights that we as Americans are guaranteed by our Constitution.

The truth is, we are one election away from destroying The United Staes as we know it. Lazy ass people won’t even vote. All they do is complain.

The next time you see on a Forum such as this the words......”we don’t like to discuss politics here” think about how that attitude got us where we are now.

We all better get our heads out of the sand before you wake up one morning to find that everything near and dear to you just got Taken away or worst, destroyed.

We would all like to think that it is business as usual. But just take a look at the news. We are in danger of electing a President who is nothing more than a corrupt bureaucrat in the early stages of age related dementia. We have people being elected to Congress who actually believe that America is the source of most of the World’s problems.

Look at some of the morons who are Mayors, Police Chiefs and Governors that have come to light as of late. You ask....”who votes for these people”? I will tell you who votes for these people. People who actually vote!!

Think about that on Election Day.

Thank you

Thank you all for your replies to my post. They were interesting, well thought out and very informative. There seems to be a general consensus that fear of bureaucrats dictating who is qualified to own a gun would lead to infringement of our second amendment rights. I would suggest that any safety program be run by the NRA. They have a good training program in place and we all know how they stand on the second amendment. I further suggest that the safety programs be voluntary and offered by gun shops and other firearm sellers. A fee could be added to gun purchases to cover the cost.
A factor that I have not considered was the politeness of people when offered advice on safe gun handling. As chief safety officer of the now defunct Fort Worth Rifle and Pistol Club I did encounter some hostility but not much. A big factor was how you approach people. An aggressive, bellicose manner was counter productive.
An article in the WSJ today stated that 40% of gun purchases were by first time buyers, that gun sales are through the roof and that "authorities" are concerned that purchasers do not know how to safely use these firearms. This mirrors my concern. I again welcome any responses to my post and to my suggestion of using the NRA. Tim

Back