Attaching Sail Tails to wind flags

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Just bought a set of sail tails and am wondering about the best way to attach them to my wind flags. Stuff I have been using to attach the tails made out of surveyor tape don't lend themselves to easy removal. Seem to remember someone (Mike Turner?) at the last Raton match had some kind of larger hooks on his tails but I didn't see what his flags looked like. Going through the fishing tackle at Bass Pro didn't really trigger anything for me. Suggestions will be warmly received.

Very clever and interesting, Butch.
I’m going to make a few flags later this year and that’s a great way to attach the tails.

With the tails attached, do you re-balance your flags?

I hold my flags horizontal and slide the head until the vane and flag sit horizontal.

This is (hopefully) to remove any bias towards the heavy side if the pivot of the flag is not truly vertical when placed on the ground.

My flags have ball-race bearings so are quite sensitive. I balance them indoors for this reason. All bets are off if it rains though.

* doggie *

Static vs. Dynamic...

With the tails attached, do you re-balance your flags?

I balance my flags without the tails on. This way they come out slightly tail heavy when I attach the tails, and not so twitchy.

Very good Joe!

Balancing flags indoors gives a good static balance but what we want is for it to be dynamically balanced...i.e., as in use. As wind speed increases, the center of pressure moves forward, particularly with a daisy or pinwheel style flag, due to the area and drag that the surface area of the daisy has. For the flag to be stable, not twitchy, the center of pressure has to stay behind the center of gravity. The problem here is that the wind is always doing something different. Ideally, the flag is perfectly balanced in the wind but that's a moving target. When in doubt, err towards being a tad tail heavy. Tails play a role in the flag being stable by both adding weight and area at the rear.
My flags come balanced for use with a sail tail for this reason. I balance them to pretty much 50/50 BEFORE adding the tail. This is a very good balance for most conditions we shoot. If it's a tad twitchy, a small adjustment to the pivot point will smooth it out. Moving the pivot 1/8" forward is a pretty big adjustment on my flag. So, if your range typically has 15+mph winds, I would advise this. It really gives up very little performance in lighter winds like this. The keys are light weight and very low friction, particularly side load on the pin. That's why I use small pivot pins and teflon pivot adapter material. I'm kinda a flag geek, you could say, but I have never seen a better flag.:D

Thanks for the offer Butch but I don't think the tails I have lend themselves to your method due to the pointy end. That said, I was advised to use snap swivels to attach the sail tails because they tend to wind themselves into a pencil in strong winds if not allowed to rotate. So, after a visit to Academy Sports here's a pic of what I came up with. Looks kind of kludgy, but I've never been a master of clever design. Have to take it out into the wind and see what it does. Wait a minute, I have a pedestal fan in my workshop. Could try it out there. It should only be about 98 degrees in there.

DSCN0879.JPG

9k=
9k=

Ive got a couple of Grahm flags and was what the advantage of the sail tales over the ones thst come with flags? Also would i need to modify anything to use the sail tales?

Thanks

Back