AR with JP gas block

The port in the gas block is usually larger than the port in the barrel so that slight misalignment of the block won't obstruct the port in the barrel. The port in the barrel is adjusted to provide the correct amount of gas to operate the action without beating things to death. Larger won't make it work any better, but will likely beat the living batcrap out of the bolt and carrier. Another case of enough is just right, and too much is bad.

Thats why JP Ent. makes a adjustable gas block. To regulate the amount of gas flow. But you don't want the hole to large, it creates a spot for copper to shread off the bullet. RANDY

Last edited:
as long as the post is only max of normal i think you are good to go. no raeson to go larger just cause you have a valve. its based on tuning down from stock.

and as far as a copper catcher, my ar10 br rifle has a port that is not used, the gas block is turned sideways....it is full of copper ! from the bore to the od of the bbl. i am going to have to drill it out and make cleaning the port part of the cleaning process for the rifle....should have left the post out....

mike in co

Update:
Opening up the barrel port to just under the size of the JP Adjustable gas block stopped the short stroking I was experiencing. YEA! I can now shoot it in a match soon. I have worked this one up myself and have learned a great deal about AR's in doing it. Fun Stuff you know!

What it is: AR15 30cal Junior, AR gold trigger, Lup scope, and all the Lapua brass is now fire formed. I milled in the side charging handle as well. :D

Back