Anyone running a Boyer 3 reamer?

What kind of resizer were you using when you got the click? Harrell's makes perfectly good FL dies that cost $75, they are available in a lot of different sizes. I have seen a lot of them at matches. I have a barrel with a 1045 chamber that is bigger in the back than the ones that I used for a number of years. With a die that fits it, I have never had a problem with a click.

Dwight Scott and Clarence Hammond's resizers.

I would never ever have a base +.200" dimension less than .4403". You will have issues with sizing and the click. You mention having the web of the case blown out to much. This is only about .003". You cannot hardly even see it. I have a couple reamers in a box that are like you are describing and they were nothing but trouble.

Send me a private message if you want to see the print of the reamer I use. It has worked ok for me.

Joe Hynes

Bravo!!

Mr. Boyd Allen.
Excellent post Sir!
You and Jackie Schmidt......brilliant ...Takk (this is Icelandic for thank you)

All the best to you and yours!!

Magnús Sigurdsson
Reykjavik
ICELAND

Boyd Allen and liljoe are right. There is zero benefit to a tight base chamber. It will only cause headaches, you may even have sticky extraction on the second firing. Matches are won and records have been set with the slightly larger (at the base) chambers that nearly everybody is using now. These guys know from experience.

For myself I like the dimensions shown in the chart for the Billy Stevens version.

Last edited:
Reamer

Anything you would change, I was thinking of .262 neck and shorter free bore.

Well I have nothing but good experiences with the tighter based reamers. 4395 and 4398 @200
I have the Speedy/Boyer 3 reamer and I use a Neil Jones FLS dies.

Never had an issue and use 133 up to 30.1 gns and have BAT DS Actions

I dont know the exact dimensions as I have never measured them, but Neil did say it was the tightest FLS die for a PPC he had made

Michael

All the designs shown in the chart that Boyd posted have come from winning shooters and smiths. As long as you get a good size die that sizes your cases "just right" you will be OK.

Last edited:
Well I have nothing but good experiences with the tighter based reamers. 4395 and 4398 @200
I have the Speedy/Boyer 3 reamer and I use a Neil Jones FLS dies.

Never had an issue and use 133 up to 30.1 gns and have BAT DS Actions

I dont know the exact dimensions as I have never measured them, but Neil did say it was the tightest FLS die for a PPC he had made

Michael

One reason that you have "gotten away with" your tight reamer and high end loads is your choice of Fl die. Because of the way that the Jones FL dies are designed, with the shoulder in the bushing, you can set the die body on the shell holder all the time and vary bump by adjusting the depth of the bushing. With other types of dies this is not the case. Typically they have some loss of contact with the base of the case due to a generous radius or chamfer, and bump is adjusted by moving the die body up and down in the press, which, when combined with the chamfer, has the potential for leaving a very narrow band at the base of the case unsized. I have a question. What does your fired brass measure just above the extractor groove where you see the end of the chamber's contact with the case?

One reason that you have "gotten away with" your tight reamer and high end loads is your choice of Fl die. Because of the way that the Jones FL dies are designed, with the shoulder in the bushing, you can set the die body on the shell holder all the time and vary bump by adjusting the depth of the bushing. With other types of dies this is not the case. Typically they have some loss of contact with the base of the case due to a generous radius or chamfer, and bump is adjusted by moving the die body up and down in the press, which, when combined with the chamfer, has the potential for leaving a very narrow band at the base of the case unsized. I have a question. What does your fired brass measure just above the extractor groove where you see the end of the chamber's contact with the case?

Boyd I will measure it but I only have the standard type micrometer and not a blade type
Also it will depend on the Smith whom chambered the barrel. Regardless I will measure and post here in next day or so
Michael

I swear I'm getting .440" on the rim, and .4395 at edge of body and .438@ .20 from base of the body edge. Fired again yesterday. No click, using a standard Redding sized die.
Maybe its because the load is a light one?

It's 68 grain Berger flat match with 27.7 h322 and205m.

I was 4th at 100,and we won't talk about 200. I was 2nd at 100 for my relay though the wind was nasty.

The dimensions in the chart on post #15 don't mean a darn thing per se. The sizing dies used with those chambers, Harrells, Jones, Scott, same thing, nothing. The place where the rubber meets the road is 1) WHAT THAT REAMER ACTUALLY CUT and 2) what the sizing die actually finished. So, the ACTUAL relationships (clearance) are in each barrel/die combo is what works or don't work smoothly.

Any gunsmith will tell you they can make the smallest reamer cut above the largest numbers on that chart. And most shooters don't have a clue of what their chamber dimensions ACTUALLY are, especially in the chamber neck.A 0.262 stamped on the barrel is probably 0.2627". And since most shooters use a pointed anvil micrometer instead of measuring over the neck of a seated bullet, they may be off of what they desired by a BUNCH.

Remember, back a few years ago we simply neck sized the brass and didn't, sometimes, ever, actually full length size the brass. Why? Just a few years ago we were running about 48,000 to 53,000 chamber pressure with our tuned loads. Now, some of the constant winners are in the OVER 72,000 chamber pressure...possibly more than that.

As I thought you really need a blade type micrometer to measure accurately at the .200 mark
Both samples were from our Recent Nationals and had been used in a Aggregate (100&200) probably roughly 80-100 rounds fired per (100&200) Powder was 133 (2012) @ 28.8 - 29.2gns
Sample 1 - Shilen LV
.4410 case head
.4398 (unsized section)
.4397 sized section @ .200

Sample 2 - Krieger Aussie Sporter
.4395 sized section @ .200

There is lots of people running .4414" base reamers with stout loads without any issues at all! Sure an ill fitting sizing die gets you into trouble quicker with a smaller reamer, but its really the dies fault and not the reamer. There are plenty of dies out there that have such a terrible fit that they don´t even size the base with the fattest reamers. Some manufactures put such an radius at the bottom of the die that no matter what you will have .075" of unsized case. That will cause issues in the long run!

Running 30+ grains of n133, I noticed a big difference in how well the primer pockets held up when I moved from a .4423" base to .4414".

The dimensions in the chart on post #15 don't mean a darn thing per se. The sizing dies used with those chambers, Harrells, Jones, Scott, same thing, nothing. The place where the rubber meets the road is 1) WHAT THAT REAMER ACTUALLY CUT and 2) what the sizing die actually finished. So, the ACTUAL relationships (clearance) are in each barrel/die combo is what works or don't work smoothly.

Any gunsmith will tell you they can make the smallest reamer cut above the largest numbers on that chart. And most shooters don't have a clue of what their chamber dimensions ACTUALLY are, especially in the chamber neck.A 0.262 stamped on the barrel is probably 0.2627". And since most shooters use a pointed anvil micrometer instead of measuring over the neck of a seated bullet, they may be off of what they desired by a BUNCH.

Remember, back a few years ago we simply neck sized the brass and didn't, sometimes, ever, actually full length size the brass. Why? Just a few years ago we were running about 48,000 to 53,000 chamber pressure with our tuned loads. Now, some of the constant winners are in the OVER 72,000 chamber pressure...possibly more than that.

That pretty much sums it up. Differences in neck diameter are personal preference. The overall chamber length affects the fireforming method. Beyond that, getting a size die to match the chamber is really it.

Back