Anyone running a Boyer 3 reamer?

D

DanSavage

Anything you would change, I was thinking of .262 neck and shorter free bore.

Having experience with both, I would not return to any part of the #3, instead I would go with the JGS 1045 with a .263 neck because I am running more clearance and want to get some neck thickness back, and a ..35 freebore to better deal with pointier bullets. I do sort of like the 1.515 max case length, the one thing that I would duplicate from the #3. IMO the #3 is a bit constricted in the back.

Having experience with both, I would not return to any part of the #3, instead I would go with the JGS 1045 with a .263 neck because I am running more clearance and want to get some neck thickness back, and a ..35 freebore to better deal with pointier bullets. I do sort of like the 1.515 max case length, the one thing that I would duplicate from the #3. IMO the #3 is a bit constricted in the back.

Isn't that the one that is too tight in the web?

Yep. I have never run top node loads (usually middle, one down) , so it has not been a big deal, but I had Lee Gardner rechamber one of my barrels with the JGS and I definitely like it better. One advantage that I have is a Harrell Vari-Base die with a full set of base inserts in .001 increments, so I can size a case from just about any chamber.

There is a whole lot of different "boyer 3", "pure magic" etc prints out there. I´ve seen prints from .4409" to .4423" at the boltface... .4409" is probably clicky, but .4414" at the base, that is standard for the boyer reamer, workes great with a fitting reloading die.

Well I'm going have a custom reamer made and I would like neck length at 1.505, I know I want .262, (turn thin to win lol), but also don't like the case blown out above the web.

I will also have seating and sizing banks reamed as well as a barrel.

Well I'm going have a custom reamer made and I would like neck length at 1.505, I know I want .262, (turn thin to win lol), but also don't like the case blown out above the web.

"Turn thin to win" is not referring to the wall thickness of the case neck. It is referring to the amount of clearance you are giving your loaded rounds, regardless of the neck diameter you are using.

Last edited:
The reason that I mentioned .263 in my post was that I am running about a thousandth more clearance than I used to so my case necks for the .263 are the same thickness as they were for my .262 and all of the same bushing work. 133 likes neck tension which is commonly discussed in terms of the difference in diameters of sized and loaded case necks, but the real issue is bullet pull, which we only have seating force to use to estimate. Cutting a half of a thousandth thinner to run around .0025 clearance for a .262 chamber reduces the maximum available bullet pull/seating force. Going up a thousandth in chamber neck diameter restores it to what it would have been with a .0015 clearance with the .262 neck. As Jackie mentioned going thin to win refers to the end result. More loaded round neck clearance. Holding chamber neck diameter constant, the thinner that necks are turned, the more loaded round neck clearance there is. The theory is that this give a more consistent bullet release, that shows up most noticeably at 200 yards.

I assume that you actually mean 1.505 chamber length. Do you plan to fireform with another barrel or without a bullet? Do you actually plan to shoot registered matches with this chamber?

I assume that you actually mean 1.505 chamber length. Do you plan to fireform with another barrel or without a bullet? Do you actually plan to shoot registered matches with this chamber?

Yes SGS I mean total chamber length, my thinking is all the extra neck space isn't needed and it adds to free bore at a larger diameter than needed.

I plan on using a different barrel to fire form with that is rechambered with the same reamer.
I was thinking about shooting a .22 bullet down the 6mm barrel.
I am hoping to shoot the registered match at Camilus this year, with my current barrel.

Right now it is a panda dual port with Krieger. 262 neck and it shoots real well. I have been shooting at a local club that usually has around 20 shooters during the winter.

I have been moving forward and will shoot group for many years to come,, Lord willing. I am now 40 years old so I thought its time do things right, get a reamer and dies and lots of barrels lol. Sid will be doing the Smith work.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like the 1045, but you'll need a custom resizer. It will start clicking at the top before the second day is finished. The resizers are in the $175-$200 range. Also tried the 1.505 chamber, wouldn't do that again, brass hardness is to variable , some can grow really fast and get you in trouble before you know it.
This is all generalizing, lots of variables.

I bought the gun used, I wish I knew what style reamer was used, I do know that you can fit a Norma in empty at 1.517 or so but its .438 @.2 above the web and .439 at the web,,and .440 on the rim.
These are fired 6 times and I'm currently using the Redding s full length bushing die. Average case length us 1.499, I haven't even trimmed them yet lol.

I like the 1045, but you'll need a custom resizer. It will start clicking at the top before the second day is finished. The resizers are in the $175-$200 range. Also tried the 1.505 chamber, wouldn't do that again, brass hardness is to variable , some can grow really fast and get you in trouble before you know it.
This is all generalizing, lots of variables.
What kind of resizer were you using when you got the click? Harrell's makes perfectly good FL dies that cost $75, they are available in a lot of different sizes. I have seen a lot of them at matches. I have a barrel with a 1045 chamber that is bigger in the back than the ones that I used for a number of years. With a die that fits it, I have never had a problem with a click.

I think I may go with the pure magic, but a little tighter at the base, .263 neck and 1.505 length.

Sound good?

I think that you will regret the .200 up dimension that you have described. IMO the size of that dimension on the 1045 is about right. Here is a chart that you may have seen. If not, it may be useful. Also I believe that the freebore on the pure magic is too long for many of today's popular bullets.
xdi7lw.jpg

Last edited:
I opted for a JGS 1046, which is basically their 1045 with a 0.264" neck. On the FL die, I purchased Jim Carstensen's from Benchrite:

http://www.benchrite.com/cscart/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29836

Was told it is made for the 1045 and sure enough it works beautifully. On my first batch of Lapua, I went 39 firings without hard extraction or click. Eventually I shelved them because the necks hardened and tension waned. But as Boyd noted, sending fired cases to Harrell's is another good option.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I think I may go with the pure magic, but a little tighter at the base, .263 neck and 1.505 length.

Sound good?

The reamer I have been shooting for 10 years has a .269 neck, an over all length of 1.510, and measures .4403 at the .200 point down from the bolt face.

I can't amagine why anybody would go any smaller than .269 on the neck when using Lapua 220 Russian as the parent case. Unless you just like making a lot of brass shavings.

Last edited:
Some very good points from every one, I really appreciate it, I must say I don't really like neck turning much at all so I'm going to 're think things for a bit.

The problem with neck turning that small for a guy just starting out like me. I didn't do a very good job of it. Neck tension all over the place. Ended up buying them turned
Going with a 268 or a 269 they can be turned in one cut bad a much better job can be done by a new guy with one tool no need for two set up at different depths of cut

The problem with neck turning that small for a guy just starting out like me. I didn't do a very good job of it. Neck tension all over the place. Ended up buying them turned
Going with a 268 or a 269 they can be turned in one cut bad a much better job can be done by a new guy with one tool no need for two set up at different depths of cut

If I had it to do again, I would go to a .270 neck. Even with a .269, there is still considerable metal to remove.

Way back when I decided to go with .269, many said....."what if Lapua suddenly changes the 220 Russian and they won't clean up". Well, through the years, they never have. And why would they?

There is one thing to be said for a .268. If for any reason you decided to shoot the Norma 6PPC, it fits a .268 with about .002 overall loaded round clearance.

But for the less experienced shooters, let me stress. In my opinion, there is no performance difference in .262, 264, .269, or anything in between. Going to a thicker neck is souly for the purpose of convenience. It's a heck of a lot easier taking .001 to .002 to the side off than .005 to .006.

Last edited:
Back