Anyone Have a Nielson Neck Turner They Wish to Sell?

You get a big mittful

With this K&M...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190105-174834_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190105-174834_Chrome.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 329
Jerry...which one of your seven neck turners is your go to tool?, Just curious.

Glenn

The Pumpkin. Slight correction, I only have one PMA not two. I do also have a Jaco that I picked up at a Shilen swap meet. If I had to rank the tuners I would do it this way.

1. Pumpkin
2. PMA
3. K&M
4. 21st Century
5. Jaco
I put the Jaco last because I haven't used it so I can't really say anything about it.

I think what makes the Pumpkin stand out is it's size and shape. It fills the hand and is easier to hold for a long period of time. Less stress on the fingers griping it. 2 thru 4 are smaller and you pretty much hold them with your fingers rather than the full hand. K&M addressed this with their add-on holder but the shape is long and is not quite as good as the Pumpkin.
The PMA is very easy to adjust for depth of cut as are the rest. The Pumpkin is a little more difficult to adjust the length of cut. The surfaces of the Pumpkin discs are so precisely machined that they can be a little difficult to separate to adjust the length of cut once you get some lube in between them. But once you get the adjustments locked in it becomes a block of metal. Another advantage of the Pumpkin is the larger scale used to measure the the depth of cut. Much easier to see a tenth.

When you're doing a session of a lot of cases you generate heat in the tools. The expansion of the metal can affect the neck thickness you get. I've seen some articles that tell you to periodically cool the tools in ice or other ways. With the Pumpkin and the K&M with the add-on this is usually not a concern. I always us canned air when I'm turning to blow off the mandrel after each case and I think this helps cool the cutter and the mandrel some as this air is usually pretty cold. So, once I started doing this I haven't noticed any issues with heat.

The Pumpkin. Slight correction, I only have one PMA not two. I do also have a Jaco that I picked up at a Shilen swap meet. If I had to rank the tuners I would do it this way.

1. Pumpkin
2. PMA
3. K&M
4. 21st Century
5. Jaco
I put the Jaco last because I haven't used it so I can't really say anything about it.

I think what makes the Pumpkin stand out is it's size and shape. It fills the hand and is easier to hold for a long period of time. Less stress on the fingers griping it. 2 thru 4 are smaller and you pretty much hold them with your fingers rather than the full hand. K&M addressed this with their add-on holder but the shape is long and is not quite as good as the Pumpkin.
The PMA is very easy to adjust for depth of cut as are the rest. The Pumpkin is a little more difficult to adjust the length of cut. The surfaces of the Pumpkin discs are so precisely machined that they can be a little difficult to separate to adjust the length of cut once you get some lube in between them. But once you get the adjustments locked in it becomes a block of metal. Another advantage of the Pumpkin is the larger scale used to measure the the depth of cut. Much easier to see a tenth.

When you're doing a session of a lot of cases you generate heat in the tools. The expansion of the metal can affect the neck thickness you get. I've seen some articles that tell you to periodically cool the tools in ice or other ways. With the Pumpkin and the K&M with the add-on this is usually not a concern. I always us canned air when I'm turning to blow off the mandrel after each case and I think this helps cool the cutter and the mandrel some as this air is usually pretty cold. So, once I started doing this I haven't noticed any issues with heat.

Jaco is the one that I forgot the name of, TJ Jackson

1. Pumpkin
2. PMA
3. K&M
4. 21st Century
5. Jaco

Thanks Jerry, for your product review. on neck turners. Very well written.

I have a few neck turners in my collection. Marquardt…Sinclair…Hart…K&M…Pumpkin…Stiller…PMA . Winning aggs have been shot with brass turned on any one of these tools.

For me, turning brass is still a PIA. When it comes to PIA, the Marquardt is at the top of my list.

Glenn

Yes

Thanks Jerry, for your product review. on neck turners. Very well written.

I have a few neck turners in my collection. Marquardt…Sinclair…Hart…K&M…Pumpkin…Stiller…PMA . Winning aggs have been shot with brass turned on any one of these tools.

For me, turning brass is still a PIA. When it comes to PIA, the Marquardt is at the top of my list.

Glenn

I had one of those tiny little turners years ago and passed it forward to someone who needed a turner. I'm not sure if I did them a favor!

one of the big advantages of the pumpkin is that it is easy
to mount in a lathe. not as fast as jackie turning necks,
but still easy to use in a lathe.

I had a Marquardt...it didn't work as well as the turners of today but at the time it was about the only thing I could get my hands on and I just HAD TO HAVE a neck turner for that 22-250.

Joe "Box" Maisto would know since his reloading table was just across the aisle from Pumpkin for over 20 years.

True enough Jerry. There are many fine machinists in this business, and he is up there with the rest of the best.
I had two expanders and came to realise Dons expander was made to the tolerances of his turner, and now I had three.. Anyone that can turn out an action is more than qualified.
The K&M was quite unique . Mr Merkle "knew his apples" too. ( an old saying when one has mastered his trade)
There is at least another fine machinist up in Canada that has turned out more than one action, and his barrels would shoot too, far better than me.

It has been one great experience meeting and knowing the talent in this great sport. Where else can one go and find this ...all in one event? Nowhere...

Back