Anybody have a clue about Remington's shop charges ?

VaniB

Would anybody venture to guess what Remington's shop charges may be for "fitting" a new bolt to a receiver?

The gal at Remington told me to send in my .270 Remington 700 BDL to have a new bolt fitted to it. She said they will NOT sell me a bolt by itself, and all she could advise was for me to send the rifle to them and they'll let me know the fee. The cost of the bolt at $132 sounds mighty reasonable, and I'm hoping the shop charges would run me somewhere under $100, and then I also need pay the shipping both ways of course.

HERE'S THE DEAL;
I just finished buying a used SS Remington .270 BDL. My intent really is to send them that rifle in order to obtain a spare .270 Win bolt. I intend to use that spare 270 bolt for a possible future project WITH a Remington 7mmMag. (which I also own and will later want to convert to a custom barreled none-belted cartridge.) So I figure I can send my Remingtoin 270 BDL to them now before I have it torn down and turned into a 7mm-08 rifle..(...as they WILL NOT provide a bolt for you that doesn't coorespond to the caliber of the rifle that you send them.)

I once sent them a barreled action and stated that my wife thru the bolt away. The work order that was sent to me confirmed
the problem as " wife thru bolt away" They being the good people they are did correct the problem and replaced the
bolt. Bet they chuckled over that a bit. Then I framed the work order

Why not just buy a bolt from Pacific Tool & Gauge? They offer long and short action with any size bolt face plus some other options.

Remington bolts link.

Jerry

Ok.....since you asked, I'll tell you why not;

1) This email that I received from PT&G today is the first reason: "We only make chrome molly (4140) bolts, not SS.

I’m not sure why Dave Kiff only chooses to use chrome molly"

Thank you

Kathleen

2) A second good reason for me is this; It is my opinion that the factory Remington bolt has the most attractive handle and knurled knob all ready to go without custom welding or timing to have to pay a gunsmith outside of PT&G to assemble for you.

3) A 3rd reason; For resale value, Remington rifles look like Remington bolts and knobs belong with them.

As much as I will only buy PT&G reamers and I think Dave there is a great guy, I'm not happy that it took since Friday of last week for them to reply to my simple "yes" or "no" email. Nor am I pleased that they while they practically have a monopoly in bolts, (because Remington refuses to sell them) evidently PT&G can't figure out how to make them in Stainless.

Last edited:
vanib'
Guess this is why we have choices. I personally think the Remington bolts are butt ugly. If PT&G saw a market for SS bolts, they would make them. Dan Armstrong is very reasonable Micro-Tig welding bolt handles on to the bolt bodies. I'll even bet he has a few take off handles from factory bolts to put on your's. If you are capable of measuring, he can do the work without having your receiver in hand. If you like the SS look or think it is more corrosion resistant, just send it to me and I'll get it E Nickled for you.

VaniB, the bolts used with remington stainless actions are not stainless, just the handles. The bolt bodies are all chrome-moly.

Bob;
"Dan40X" at 6mmBR explained just the same thing as you stated here. I guess "Kathleen" at PT&G (from the above posted Email) works in the office and has no more clue then I do about what "SS" bolts are made of. It seems like PT&G is going through a major expansion. I hope the days of Dave spending his undivided time with an individual on the phone are not gone.....or at least he will be able to find more competent help then the likes of "Kathleen" to assist him with his customers technical questions if he's too busy to do it himself.

Butch;
You're talking to a guy that is 58 years of age and has owned 2 custom rifles all his life thus far. I fired maybe 300 rounds all of last year between my 3 home-built AR's.....and not much else. (partly because I'm anal and spend 4 hours firing 20 handloads into tight little groups) I'm now planning to start my 3rd bolt action rifle. So now that you know my expertise with precision bolt action rifles; you want to know if I can measure what.....and do what to who? :D LOL

I'll certainly NOT attempt to take any measurements or personally get involved with this bolt replacement. Unlike the Home Depot, I cannot go to a refund counter to tell the girl "The bolt doesn't close all the way and it left these powder burns on my nose". LOL If that excellent but tempormental smith in Hempstead was willing to spend about 10 minutes on the phone, I wouldn't have to go out searching the forums for the information that applies to the job he will be doing for me anyway.

Remington bolts "Butt ugly" you say.....yer funny. :eek: I think that the bolts on many other factory rifles, as well as many custom actions look like they belong on a door with a chain hanging on them. Or they look like oversized brail for a blind chimp. Like ya say....to each his own.

Sending to Rem for another bolt is not cost effective if you are making a specific rifle. If the average Joe lost the bolt out of his favorite hunting rifle then sure, send it in.
Used 700's are constantly available, buy another whenever if ever you need to. Sell the 7mm, it is not what you need. If you really want another bolt post a wtb add for a used one.

Sending to Rem for another bolt is not cost effective if you are making a specific rifle. If the average Joe lost the bolt out of his favorite hunting rifle then sure, send it in.
Used 700's are constantly available, buy another whenever if ever you need to. Sell the 7mm, it is not what you need. If you really want another bolt post a wtb add for a used one.

Hello Rob, thanks for your opinion, but due to my very recent and difficult experience with trying to locate a stainless Remington rifle, I must respectfully disagree with you on just about ALL accounts of what you mentioned. Thus, I'm still desiring to determine and learn the best way to supply a bolt for my stainless 7mmMag rifle.

It's just my unwaivering personal taste to have a custom bolt action rifle built on a satin stainless Remington 700 Action. I will not settle for a "J lock" , nor will I accept todays cheap matted and grainy SPS crap. The market is flooded with ADL's, Jlocks, model7's, SPS rifles, DM's, and abused and beat to crap rifles of all styles. I spent 6 weeks and MANY hours searching on GB, GA, Gunlist, Cabella's Library, and numerous forum classifieds lists to locate the LA stainless 1994 .270Win I just bought. About 6 weeks ago I let a higher bidder take a new looking 1995 Rem SS 30-06 for $700 ($670 +$30 shipping.) I refused to bid over $700 for the rifle. Little did I imagine at the time that it would take me 6 weeks to find another. And the only reason I believe that I was able to land the .270, was because I've been glued to the computer to catch the ad Sunday during the first 3 hours that the seller had started it. I was getting tempted to buy a $900CDL just to get a nice satin action! So, now knowing just how hard it is to locate a nice condition early 90's LA in satin stainless, I'm not letting my unfired 7mmMag go. If by chance I happen to stumble upon another new looking 270 -30-06 LA Satin Stainless rifle reasonably priced(when I'm not looking to buy one), I can always buy it and THEN sell my 7mmMag AND spare bolt for it.

THANKS GENTS FOR THE INPUT. I think I've about pushed this topic as far as it will go and I'll end it here.

Last edited:
To get Rem to give me a price for a Rem boat I had to send them the action. A new SA bolt was $247 including shipping. This included the bolt assy and firing pin but not the shourd. All told it took me near 3 months to get the price quote from Rem.

I think I have a spare 270 bolt. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Back