any new feedback/opinions on LABRADAR ?

Just got one and it is a lot easier to set up and use. And it does provide a lot of data but you have to watch the S/N ratio to make sure that the data element is realistic. While the ads talk about tracking velocities out to 100+ yards it really depends on the size of the projectile and the enviormental conditions. I think that the data is very suspect at 100 and beyond for anything smaller than a 308.

It seems to have a problem (at least mine does) with suppressors and I have to pick up the velocity with the Doppler rather than being able to get a muzzle velocity. I'm guessing it will have similar problems with .22. They do offer an external attachment that is supposed to work with .22 and suppressed guns and I am willing to bet that would solve my problem.

That said, I will be using it for the vast majority of my work but will also keep my 35p.

The doppler signal reflects back off of the base of the bullet. Flatbased large caliber bullets will register a lot further out than a small caliber boattail. I shoot a boattail .243 and it seems to pick that bullet up just fine to about 55 or 60 yards.

I love it. Get an external USB battery (cell phone charger) or you'll spend your retirement on batteries. Get the "airgun adapter" - this is an external microphone. I actually put the microphone about 1/2" in _front_ of the muzzle to get it to register with airguns and silencers. (Instructions say 'even with' but I couldn't get reliable triggering that way). No wires to fuss with, no waiting for a cold range to move anything out in front of your rifle, and no problems with light conditions (although inclement weather may alter the max distance at which you can get a reading).

GsT

Like everything else, things have come a long way. In the 70s my Chronograph required you to shoot through two, one use, plates. Both time consuming and expensive. Just like wasting a lot of time shooting film in cameras and getting it developed and having proof sheets printed. Now, shoot and keep or erase.

At my home club, we have to shoot through 30' concrete tubes limiting upward barrel angles, which means the closest you can get a reading with a conventional chrono is at about 35 feet.

I am going to purchase one now, when I can find one in stock. Will keep my old one for shotguns as I understand that the Labradar will not work for a group of pellets. Is the bench holder the best way to set up compared to the tripod?

Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
To trigger the Labradar, the side of the unit should be even with the muzzle. Most muzzles are in front of the bench and therefore using a tripod immediately in front of the bench works best. If you are shooting prone, then the mounting plate will work best for you.

This video explains it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hm5RlnhhWo

Thanks. My problem again is that at my home club I have to have the muzzle inside the start of the concrete tube. This puts the bench right up against the entrance. Wonder if the added noise we get shooting in the tunnel will solve the trigger problem. I know we have been looking for ways to cut the increased noise down, since we were forced to install these.

Bob

Thanks for the clarification.

Guess I would be well served to see if I can find someone locally that has one, invite them to the club for some shooting and see what happens before I spend over $700.00 for the unit, case, rechargeable batter, memory card and mounting support.

Anyone out here on Long Island with one that would like to shoot at Maidstone Gun Club in East Hampton?

Bob

I've always shot mine with the Labradar about even with the front bag on my Farley rest. It always seems to work. I didn't realize I'd been doing it wrong.

I've always shot mine with the Labradar about even with the front bag on my Farley rest. It always seems to work. I didn't realize I'd been doing it wrong.

doesn't it just really upset you when you find out what you have been doing has been working great all the time .... but it is "wrong"? :)

Back