Anshutz 1710 D HB Classic Meister grade 23" Bull barrel

Utahtim

Considering building this gun up on a Chassis. Any opinions? I bought it at an auction brand new and never been fired. Is this a solid gun to start with? I had a guy tell me it wasn't worth more than $1400 but everything I find on it is about $2200-2500. Should I build it or sell it an get something else

What class would you be shooting in club shoots or?

ive never done benchrest other than airrifle. I m more interested in what you think this gun is capable of. i read Bill Calfees book so im aware that theres a lot more building a competitive bench gun. Probably for now NRL but is it capable of .2-.3 st 50 yds

Suggest you go to match and see what they use to compete.
Looked at NRL site. Club has a shooter that competes with a 1710 and it does very
well off rest and bags at 25 and fifty yds. Clubs shooting is done from benches.

Considering building this gun up on a Chassis. Any opinions? I bought it at an auction brand new and never been fired. Is this a solid gun to start with? I had a guy tell me it wasn't worth more than $1400 but everything I find on it is about $2200-2500. Should I build it or sell it an get something else

The guy is right, the last thing you want to do is spend money on that platform which you could never sell for more than 1/2 your cost.
You are far and away better off looking for a quality used BR rifle....end of season so several will be available over next couple months for fair money.
Few if any competitive rifles are based off any Annies these days and remember, the above referenced book is pushing 20 years now so a fair bit of it is dated.

Last edited:
BR rifle

Hey Utahtim, I have an Annie 1411 I paid $800.00 for.
Then I got a match trigger for it $300.00.
I shoot BR so I needed a BR stock, $900.00, including shipping.
To be fair though, I must say it shoots very well for a club match rifle.
If your going to shoot against the big boys your gun wont compete.
Do your self a favor and get a good used BR rifle.
You will save yourself a lot of money and aggravation in the long run.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02383.JPG
    DSC02383.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Hey Utahtim, I have an Annie 1411 I paid $800.00 for.
Then I got a match trigger for it $300.00.
I shoot BR so I needed a BR stock, $900.00, including shipping.
To be fair though, I must say it shoots very well for a club match rifle.
If your going to shoot against the big boys your gun wont compete.
Do your self a favor and get a good used BR rifle.
You will save yourself a lot of money and aggravation in the long run.

Bob

What’s a top of the line benchrest gun run? New? Who’s the best at building them? Not sure I want a used benchrest gun. Why would you sell a gun that can win?

UtahTim,

There are lots of RFBR Shooters who have multiple custom rifles, but you can only shoot one at a time. Lots of guys enjoy building and testing new gear. Therefore, quality rifles do come up for sale.

Here is an Equipment List from the recent American Rimfire Association (ARA) Indoor Nationals. Most of the top RFBR Competitors attend this event.

https://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/user/scores/index.php

You will see that the 2500X action from Holeshot/Jerry Stiller is well represented. Variations of the Turbo are also well represented. Shilen barrels are most popular and there is a large number of gunsmiths represented. Some will argue that the Gunsmith is the most important variable.

The “Factory” rifles that you see on the list (Anschutz, Remington 40X, Suhl) are usually highly tuned, unlikely to have the Factory barrel.

If you are a lefty and require a left bolt, right port; DiOrio (Turbo) is your only option.

The Trident that I bought here on Benchrest Central for $2,050, slightly outshoots the $4,050 2500X that I had built. Richard Gotham was the Gunsmith in both.

If you want to be competitive, I would sell the Annie for the $2,200 you suggest and begging searching for a quality used custom rifle. You might reach out to Slick Willy over on the Rimfire Accuracy Forum. He has a lot of Customs and is constantly buying and selling. Here is an example of a Winning rifle going up for sale: http://www.rimfireaccuracy.com/Forums/showthread.php/12096-Freddie-is-looking-for-a-new-22RFBR-home!

If you are in Utah, I don’t see a Club there that is currently shooting ARA:

https://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/club/listall?search=&selected_state=Utah

ARA is starting a new Factory Class this Season. Maybe you can leverage this development to encourage your local Club to start an ARA Shoot. Targets available here: https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/143-targets

Show Up & Shoot

Last edited:
What’s a top of the line benchrest gun run? New? Who’s the best at building them? Not sure I want a used benchrest gun. Why would you sell a gun that can win?

Thinking like that would be the single biggest error in judgement you could make.....I guarantee it.

Back