Another will this New Heremes work for barrels?

DSM

Chuck
Will this one work OK for occasional barrel engraving? If it takes me an hour or 2 to engrave a barrel, I don't care. It comes with a vise that can be modified to hold a barrel. Just wondering if I can make this work...

You need to mount your engraver solid and then have a vee block to hold the muzzle. You can make the vice to work, but it won't hold the muzzle also. You're not planning on using the motor are you?

I was looking to use some sort of scribe with it. Carbide? Diamond? So if I mount to a dedicated table and devise a way to support the muzzle, it should work, huh?

Thanks for the help butch!

I have another question if you don't mind. What fonts work with it and how do I determine what size to get/find for marking barrels?

Font size shouldn't matter. That is the advantage of the pantograph. You should be able to reduce your font size to your desire.

I kinda thought so. I know from looking on eBay, the brass fonts come in heights of 3/8", 5/16, 1/2, 3/4...etc. I'm guessing the height is specific to the mounting bracket size?

Thanks again for the info...I hope to obtain the unit!

every one of those sizes are on the same size brass master. with the smaller fonts you can use the pantograph ratios to make them even smaller. so the bigger ones will only go down a certain size and the smaller ones will only get so big. the larger fonts are easier to trace.

Dusty....good to know.

Bad news...it got sniped from me in the last 5 seconds for $205. I was in the garage trying to use my phone to get it.

Anyone have a New Hermes they want to sell?

Last edited:
You need to mount your engraver solid and then have a vee block to hold the muzzle. You can make the vice to work, but it won't hold the muzzle also. You're not planning on using the motor are you?

I use a scribe, just because that's what came with my pantograph. Why wouldn't he want to use the motor?

That looks almost exactly like the one I have. I use the motor to engrave the letters. I think the carbide cutter is .010" diameter. I put a small amount of oil on the barrel and grind away.

I have 2 sets of fonts, one came with it and the other I bought on the bay. The one set is too small and you can only make the letters about 1/4" tall. I think the size of the letters on the font is only about 3/8". The other set I have is 3/4" and they work very nice. You set the machine to decrease the font all the way and it comes out just about right.

I keep reading that these units won't work but I can't see why. I will take some pics and try and post them.

Joe Hynes

Here are some pics of the unit I have and the results. The pics aren't great, they are from my phone.

The font I have is 1" tall, the 3/4" would be ideal since I have to shrink the size as far as possible.

Joe

Thanks for the offer Bob...I just saw it now.

I actually have a fixer upper on the way. No motor with it. Looks like there is a scribe or stylus mounted. Missing a font clamp and no fonts. Once I get it, I will know more what I'm dealing with. Hopefully its as simple as getting fonts and a diamond scribe to get rolling...its not like I need another project! Lol

I recently bought a new Hermes unit with the motor and floor stand. I like this unit but I need to come up with a solid way to lock the tapered barrels in the supplied vise. Any ideas? Lee

Make a couple vee block vise jaws with a taper or make a collet and bed the barrel in the collet with JB Weld. It takes very little clamping force to hold a barrel.

The motorized units work well on a flat surface or a small part of the barrel if the OD is large. The carbide cutters are not made to cut beyond about 1/8" off center of a 1" diameter object.
I may have a few misc. pieces that may help you.

Here's a pic of mine. It's a New Hermes style pantograph without any identification marks so I don't know the manufacturer. It came with a little vise for doing jewelry, it's usless for anything heavy. The 3/16 al. plate and half inch v blocks work just fine with a toggle clamp holding the barrel tight in the bottom of the V.
I put this all together with a rough pc. of aluminum plate and made the little stand on the left side to keep it from tipping with the big 1.450"x30" heavy barrels. I thought I would try it then if it worked out go back and mill the edges of the plate clean and square with the v blocks and make every thing look pretty but I got busy and never stopped using it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140417_111228_482.jpg
    IMG_20140417_111228_482.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_20140417_111054_554.jpg
    IMG_20140417_111054_554.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20140417_111028_805.jpg
    IMG_20140417_111028_805.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 297
Make a couple vee block vise jaws with a taper or make a collet and bed the barrel in the collet with JB Weld. It takes very little clamping force to hold a barrel.

The motorized units work well on a flat surface or a small part of the barrel if the OD is large. The carbide cutters are not made to cut beyond about 1/8" off center of a 1" diameter object.
I may have a few misc. pieces that may help you.

Butch, I may get in contact with you once I get mine all situated and figure out if and what I need to get started.

Back