Another Question about Vintage Benchrest Cartridges

RCE1

I've been working on a photography project, documenting my recently expanded collection of rifles. As I inherited from my gunsmith father in law a few benchrest rifles, some of which go back to the beginnings of the sport, there have been a few rifles that are a mystery to me. One that came up today was a Weber action in the 10xx serial range. It's in a solid walnut stock with 3" forend and it is beautifully executed. It has a Canjar trigger and a Redfield 1" tube internally adjusted scope 24X, which is 23 1/2" long. The scope looks like it's brand new. In fact, the whole rifle is in immaculate condition. Unfortunately, there are no markings on the barrel. I got a .218 gauge pin into the muzzle, so it's a .22. I pulled the bolt and it's a .222 bolt face, so I got out some deuce brass and it didn't fit. Too long. Like .100" too long. So I got some .221 Fireball brass and tried that...too short. It entered the chamber but would not engage the bolt. So what's in between? Were there wildcats that were essentially a shortened .222? I haven't been able to do chamber casts of the mystery guns, but there are more than one. I was just wondering what this rifle might have been chambered in. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I've been working on a photography project, documenting my recently expanded collection of rifles. As I inherited from my gunsmith father in law a few benchrest rifles, some of which go back to the beginnings of the sport, there have been a few rifles that are a mystery to me. One that came up today was a Weber action in the 10xx serial range. It's in a solid walnut stock with 3" forend and it beautifully executed. It has a Canjar trigger and a Redfield 1" tube internally adjusted scope 24X, which is 23 1/2" long. The scope looks like it's brand new. If fact, the whole rifle is in immaculate condition. Unfortunately, there are no markings on the barrel. I got a .218 gauge pin into the muzzle, so it's a .22. I pulled the bolt and it's a .222 bolt face, so I got out some deuce brass and it didn't fit. Too long. Like .100" too long. So I got some .221 Fireball brass and tried that...too short. It entered the chamber but would not engage the bolt. So what's in between? Were there wildcats that were essentially a shortened .222? I haven't been able to do chamber casts of the mystery guns, but there are more than one. I was just wondering what this rifle might have been chambered in. Thanks for your help.

Your best bet will be a chamber cast, then look through your F-I-L's dies.

Rick

RC

The 222 case may not go in because the chamber has a tight neck, maybe .244 to .246.

If your test case was not neck turned, that maybe the interference preventing closing the bolt.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

RC

The 222 case may not go in because the chamber has a tight neck, maybe .244 to .246.

If your test case was not neck turned, that maybe the interference preventing closing the bolt.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

Actually, that's a good point. My benefactor was an enthusiastic turner of necks. He even neck turned .17 Ackley Hornet. I'll have to look around for some different brass. The case I tried was unfired...I took a big position in the .222 a while back and didn't get to load all the brass I bought.

Back