Another gunsmith gadget...

Mike Bryant

IMG_7146.JPG

A handy little tool that doesn't take long to make and very convenient to use if you ever need it. Just for grins, any idea what it's supposed to do?

James, very close to how I used it. Have you ever had an action come in that the bolt handle has come off? With the firing pin in the fired position, it's very hard to get the bolt out of the receiver. Put this little gadget in from the front and you can turn the bolt lugs 90 degrees and take the bolt out. Probably lots of uses besides that. Took about 20 minutes to turn a barrel stub (afterall any benchrest gunsmith uses barrel stubs for everything) to fit inside the threads, bore out the inside to fit over the outside of the minor diameter of the bolt and then slot it for lugs. Chucked it up in the lathe before the T handle was put on it and turned the bolt out as easy as you please. Probably spent that much time trying to turn it out with no success before figuring out what I needed to build. The bolt is on it's way now to Dan Armstrong at Accu-Tig to have the handle tig welded to the bolt body.

Last edited:
Ingenious!

Good thinking Mike. :D

Haven't had that happen. Now I'll know how to deal with it when it does. :)

Thanks for sharing tips like this.

Mike
And all these years I used two screw drivers and the handle of a Cresent wrench for pry bar. My grip isn't what it used to be so next time I'll have to make one of those.

Back