Another Barrel setup question

JonathanK

Is there anything wrong with dialing in just using DTIs? What I mean is using just a DTI to dial in the muzzle end in the outbound spider and a DTI at the projected throat location. I notice most use range rods or pin gauges on the muzzle end, and I was wondering if theres any cons to just using an indicator where the bullet is going to exit.
Thanks,
JonathanK

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Note, I think most use the range rods at the chamber end, not the muzzle end. May have been what you meant.

where did your survey come from that "most" use range rods or similar ?
most threads on this froum and been just the opposite.

do a seasrch....
i dial in the muzzle close at the outboard end and then eventually get to the throat area, dail in again, bore then ream.
mike in co

OK..To be more specific, Im referring to the method of dialing in at 2 points. One at the throat(with a long pointed test indicator) and one at the muzzle then preboring for the chamber. I have searched it and I couldnt find where anyone was using just a dial test indicator on the muzzle end, I will look again

Jonathan, I just use a last word indicator about 1/8 into the bore when I indicte the muzzle.. I do not use Deltronic pins for anything except seeing how tight the bore is, just to pick the proper bushing........jackie

Last edited:
OK..To be more specific, Im referring to the method of dialing in at 2 points. One at the throat(with a long pointed test indicator) and one at the muzzle then preboring for the chamber. I have searched it and I couldnt find where anyone was using just a dial test indicator on the muzzle end, I will look again

The method you describe is what I use, and probably approximately the same as most smiths fitting barrels for short range benchrest. The "range rod" method promoted by Gordy Gritters has been discussed quite a bit on this forum, but I would stick my neck out and guess that relatively few short range guys are using it. I can't speak for the long range guys, the F class folks, etc.

Back