Annealing made perfect aztec sort

I thinktherea re a few things

I can remember when annealing was a big joke at the Super Shoot...... now, what we were doing at long range for years is no longer a joke........ jim

that fit into that category, weighing charges, for instance.

Pete

Funny you should mention weighing charges Pete.
I was forced into preloading when I started the SR BR matches at Sac Valley back in 2002.
I found out early on that you can't run a match, measure targets, babysit the complainers,etc,etc, and load at the match.
Having always pre loaded for 600/1000 yd BR I didn't think it was a big deal.
Oh the horror! You can't do that!
Well 15 years later, 7 Club SOY, winning State and Regional Championships, and multiple yardage wins,
top 10, top 20 finishes at the Cactus, I still have people tell me you can't pre load.
This year I finished 26th in the 2-Gun, probably would have won if it wasn't for preloading! (Or more accurately pre weighing)
Or maybe it was the new toy (tuner) on the HV. Or maybe the rain.
Couldn't have been me.
If you tune to the barrel, and know the powder profile, you can do pretty well.
I think the tuner may be the final piece to the puzzle, to early to tell but early testing may give me the results
that the powder tuners are getting (or think they are getting) by going 1 click up or down on their measure.
Just one mans observations, worth what I charge for it.
Greg

It is really funny how years ago I was told it was more accurate to throw charges by volumes more accurate than weighing. Now they use a charge masters and some still contend the use of a powder measure throws good enough. None have a really good scale to see if it does make a difference. Now the Amp. seems to change their mind on annealing, I see no difference in how you anneal as long as it is right , how many even know how to check them. One guy said see how nice they look, what is that? Annealing promotes uniformity and life in the brass you have, not a joke at the Super Shoot either.... jim

Last edited:
It is really funny how years ago I was told it was more accurate to throw charges by volumes more accurate than weighing. Now they use a charge masters and some still contend the use of a powder measure throws good enough. None have a really good scale to see if it does make a difference. Now the Amp. seems to change their mind on annealing, I see no difference in how you angel as long as it is right , how many even know how to check them. One guy said see how nice they look, what is that? Annealing promotes uniformity and life in the brass you have, not a joke at the Super Shoot either.... jim

I use a ChargeMaster at all Matches now. It's just about as fast as throwing charges, once you get used to it

How accurate is it? I sat down with my ChargeMaster and Denver Electronics Reasearch Scale and compared charges. While the charge master is not dead on, it did weigh every charge within +- .1 grn. That's a .2 spread.

I can live with that.

I use a ChargeMaster at all Matches now. It's just about as fast as throwing charges, once you get used to it

How accurate is it? I sat down with my ChargeMaster and Denver Electronics Reasearch Scale and compared charges. While the charge master is not dead on, it did weigh every charge within +- .1 grn. That's a .2 spread.

I can live with that.

Jackie, Maybe, with a scale that only measures a .1 is not enough. You should be able to read .01 gr. and it should not wonder. So you can see + - .02 gr. repeatably, AFX 120I is good a GD 503 is better but not necessary. Most say you don't need it but how do you know. You bed a rifle to perfection and you chamber the best you can, you turn necks perfect , and dump powder in and say thats close enough. Just a thought...... jim

Jim,
If i recall correctly jackie tested his 30br with a 0.01 scale for a while.
saw no improvement, so went back to throwing.

Jackie, Maybe, with a scale that only measures a .1 is not enough. You should be able to read .01 gr. and it should not wonder. So you can see + - .02 gr. repeatably, AFX 120I is good a GD 503 is better but not necessary. Most say you don't need it but how do you know. You bed a rifle to perfection and you chamber the best you can, you turn necks perfect , and dump powder in and say thats close enough. Just a thought...... jim

Jim,
If i recall correctly jackie tested his 30br with a 0.01 scale for a while.
saw no improvement, so went back to throwing.

If that is the case fine, but he was using a.1 gram scale to check on. Not gr. and sure not.01 gr. scale as you mentioned. and you need one that doesn't wonder, and repeatable or all you testing is void..... jim

$1600 0.01 grain

if that is the case fine, but he was using a.1 gram scale to check on. Not gr. And sure not.01 gr. Scale as you mentioned. And you need one that doesn't wonder, and repeatable or all you testing is void..... Jim

Not to hijack the thread

The Sartorius GD 503 (discontinued) was a popular high precision scale for reloading and would weigh to .002 grains, priced in the $1400 range at the time it was discontinued.

Its replacement (and the one I have) is the Sartorius ENTRIS64-1S which has the same specs and can be purchased around the $900-$1,000 range. Both can weigh a single piece of powder and less.

Is this type of precision required, beneficial? Who knows, it is just one of the things some do.

Not to hijack the thread

The Sartorius GD 503 (discontinued) was a popular high precision scale for reloading and would weigh to .002 grains, priced in the $1400 range at the time it was discontinued.

Its replacement (and the one I have) is the Sartorius ENTRIS64-1S which has the same specs and can be purchased around the $900-$1,000 range. Both can weigh a single piece of powder and less.

Is this type of precision required, beneficial? Who knows, it is just one of the things some do.

If you don't have a scale capable of measuring .01 grain or better then you will never know will you. I use a GD 503 and it maybe over kill but I don't think so. You throw loads with a powder measure and and a charge master and weigh each today and come back tomorrow and do it again and se how much they change day to day let alone each throw varies. You will get an eye opener....... jim

Last edited:
If you don't have a scale capable of measuring .01 grain or better then you will never know will you. I use a GD 503 and it maybe over kill but I don't think so. You throw loads with a powder measure and and a charge master and weigh each today and come back tomorrow and do it again and se how much they change day to day let alone each throw varies. You will get an eye opener....... jim

I have the equivalent scale ( as indicated in my post) and use it routinely as I can never get my powder measures ( Harrells and clones) to throw consistently, they can vary up to .2 grains with the powders I use ( some better , some worse depends on kernel shape and size, technique, etc).

I am not to sure it really matters in 100 / 200 yd VFS with a 30BR ( I have done it both ways and my shooting skills are more of an issue than charge weights at this point, but I do strive to reduce loading issues) but am expecting it to be important on my 284 Win in 400-600-1000 yd matches.

I too own an Entris IS64 (+/-.002 grn) and it is a wonderful scale for the price.

You really know your over the deep end when you are dropping (or removing) 1 kernel of LT32 (avg weight .0056 grn on Lot 10) when loading your PPC.
Then again I know a VERY successful Hi Power/F-Class shooter who cuts Varget kernels in half.
For SR do you need this level of precision to be successful?
Does it make a difference on paper?
I don't have the answer to that, but I do know that all my powder charges are EXACTLY the same and that makes my head feel good when I get behind the rifle.
Anyone that thinks they can throw charges with the same precision that you can weigh them should consider buying a better scale.
That said if you are smack in the middle of your barrels tune node a 10th up or down shouldn't hurt you. Your targets will tell you.
Now about those wind flags........
One man's opinion, worth what I charge.
Greg

Last edited:
You can eliminate a variable is a win, one thing at a time, till you get all your ducks in a row....... jim

Finally available!

Not to divert this back onto topic, but Aztec mode is finally available! I've ordered (from Creedmoor), just waiting for my code...

GsT

I think I would take a look at the EZ-Annealer with the case feeder option. even without it is a lot faster and easier....... jim

I think I would take a look at the EZ-Annealer with the case feeder option. even without it is a lot faster and easier....... jim

I took a quick peek, but since I already have an AMP, I wasn't exactly shopping. I'd pay attention only to which one I thought could anneal cases best (then there're the Aztec features). Speed and case feed are appealing, but the AMP isn't at all slow to use. The single thing that I really like about the EZ (or dislike about the AMP) is the case orientation. AMP warns you that you can ruin their annealer if you happen to have a steel tumbling pin stuck in your case that chooses to fall out during annealing. I tumble with SS pins and live in fear of this...

GsT

Back