And yet more on lead!

Pete Wass

After shooting a 3 gun match and an Unlimited match a few days ago I can report on my findings on the two new barrels on my rifles. I began with both barrels clean; no black on patches and smooth feel on a dry patch the entire length of both barrels. Cleaned the Sporter barrel after the Sporter match, dry patch, wet patch with Patch Out, 5 brush strokes, dry patch,wet patch with Lead Out, 15 minute soak, ddry patch, Wet patch with Patch out and left it wet with Patch Out..

Cleaned the Rock Creek the same as the Sporter and using the Patch out, then a soak of No Lead for 15 minutes seemed to keep the lead out during the 5 cards I shot it. Left it wet and when I finished up cleaning at home, the Ratchet on the Sporter was spotless. I would expect that, only having shot around 60 shots through it. To paraphrase the lad who wrote the long description on parallax years ago, "here is where the booger falls into the soup", the Rock has lead in the first inch of the barrel and another spot about half way down the barrel. Not much of a surprise to me.

I plan to see how many doses of No Lead it will take to get the lead out of the throat, if indeed it is possible with only the liquid. If it does, in fact, yield a clean patch then I will proceed to the center spot. At this point, I have little faith in that there is more than lead in the soup. We'll see. I have been tied up solid since the match getting into new digs but this too shall pass. I'll report on what I do to get the lead out.

Pete

Last edited:
Well, it took 4 cycles !

BUT, it is possible to chemically remove lead from Stainless Steel. This combination seems to be working. I tuned and tested yesterday and probably shot 75 shots through this barrel and was able to clean the barrel easily with two cycles. Thought it was clean anyway but during my final bore scope inspection I found some lingering lead @ about half way through the barrel. One more cycle of the No Lead and it came out. So far, so good. I didn't use a brush during this trial, by the way.

Pete

Pete

Pete

I looked at your post on lead removal and got the impression that you are looking for a good way to remove unwanted deposits. I too have been pondering the problem of lead removal and find your post interesting. I’m going to give “ No Lead “ a try.

Bob

Pete, I'm sure someone will throw a crucifix at me for even mentioning the word, but have you tried using mercury?

Pete

I looked at your post on lead removal and got the impression that you are looking for a good way to remove unwanted deposits. I too have been pondering the problem of lead removal and find your post interesting. I’m going to give “ No Lead “ a try.

Bob

Bob1949,

I recommend the following two products to maintain a lead free bore. Shooter's Choice Lead Remover Item #LRS04 and a ProShot .22 cal. Rimfire Brush (Benchrest Brush) Item #22R. Use these two products after every match or practice session and your bore will remain lead free. Finish up with ProShot One Step Cleaner & Lubricant. I also wipe the bore using 2 wet patches with Pro Shot 1 Step applied, followed by two dry patches after each target. These products can be purchased at Killough S.S. and many other online sources. John

Attachments

• P1010365.JPG
    P1010365.JPG
    595.4 KB · Views: 188
I have not

Pete, I'm sure someone will throw a crucifix at me for even mentioning the word, but have you tried using mercury?

I don't have a source for mercury . It's not that I would be afraid to use it, heck, we played with it in High School and most of us are still living. We even lived in lead paint and drank water from lead pipes, etc. Guess we were a tougher breed back in them days. Did you ever hear of anyone having an allergy to Peanuts or gluten 50 years ago???

Pete

Someone sent me

Eley's barrel cleaning procedure recently. They were suggesting using felt pads AND stated that after 200 to 300 rounds LEAD should be removed and the ONLY way to remove it was to BRUSH the barrel. Imagine that!!! Even Eley believed lead will accumulate in barrels.

Pete

Last edited:
I don't have a source for mercury . It's not that I would be afraid to use it, heck, we played with it in High School and most of us are still living. We even lived in lead paint and drank water from lead pipes, etc. Guess we were a tougher breed back in them days. Did you ever hear of anyone having an allergy to Peanuts or gluten 50 years ago???

Pete

FWIW, junk yards are a source. Most cars made in the last 20 or so years have a rollover switch in them that contains mercury. Another source is old home heat/ac thermostats.

Sort of in the same vein, I recently started shooting lever action silhouette and that involves copper jacketed bullets. Would this sort of process be helpful with making sure there isn't a tremendous amount of copper build up?

Trusty Youtube

Sort of in the same vein, I recently started shooting lever action silhouette and that involves copper jacketed bullets. Would this sort of process be helpful with making sure there isn't a tremendous amount of copper build up?

there are some good tests on copper removers on YouTube. Essentially, copper and lead are difficult to remove, particularly if they become ironed in but yes, one should keep copper out the same as lead. Lapping compound is the fastest way to take either one out, using chemicals before it becomes ironed on will hasten the removal. Lapping grit removes very little barrel metal when using it on patches, just enough ): . If one has a barrel that attracts or catches copper, lapping it will not harm it as it is on it's way out.

P

there are some good tests on copper removers on YouTube. Essentially, copper and lead are difficult to remove, particularly if they become ironed in but yes, one should keep copper out the same as lead. Lapping compound is the fastest way to take either one out, using chemicals before it becomes ironed on will hasten the removal. Lapping grit removes very little barrel metal when using it on patches, just enough ): . If one has a barrel that attracts or catches copper, lapping it will not harm it as it is on it's way out.

P

Hm. I may look at chemicals before I deal with the lapping grit. I can't imagine that being easy to do on a lever gun considering I can't get a rod guide on the breech end. While accuracy isn't necessarily a limiting factor in cowboy silhouette, I'd rather not lose anything from the rifle's potential as it's already exceptionally accurate.

Pete

YEP, me, All nuts including coconuts- Hazel nuts( filberts to some)= cyanide for me. Tuber types like peanuts are less of a problem for me but tree or bush types are deadly. I was around 5 years old, hazel nut cooky, spent Christmas and 1/2 of Jan. in the hospital. Fast forward to 2000 got clipped by Hazel nut flavored coffee, Eppi pen saved the day. (Maybe my in-laws were trying to do the ex a favor as I got hit with the big D papers shortly after)

I don't recall

YEP, me, All nuts including coconuts- Hazel nuts( filberts to some)= cyanide for me. Tuber types like peanuts are less of a problem for me but tree or bush types are deadly. I was around 5 years old, hazel nut cooky, spent Christmas and 1/2 of Jan. in the hospital. Fast forward to 2000 got clipped by Hazel nut flavored coffee, Eppi pen saved the day. (Maybe my in-laws were trying to do the ex a favor as I got hit with the big D papers shortly after)

any mention of Nut allergy before the last decade or so. Perhaps living a rural area when I was young was the reason but then, after I left for "The World" I never heard of nut allergy's or gluten intolerance either. I don't doubt they exist but wonder if they are a newish phenomenon???

I don't doubt the lead toxicity either but wonder why my generation wasn't more affected by it than kids of today???

Pete

Lead is the latest boogeyman for the press to beat up on. there is a TV commercial running now where people are absolutely HORRIFIED at being offered a drink of water with ACCEPTABLE LEGAL limits of lead in it
A few years ago it was mercury. a broken thermometer in a high school lab in Maryland
caused mass panic. the school was closed for weeks for massive renovations by workers in Hazmat suits

I remember that episode. , Copper pipes- lead solder- Oh My. But I notice that all the crud they put in the water is supposedly safe- Really? I also remember when Raw milk became the bogey man as well- I survived. Or how about the formaldehyde used in various composite building products? Can't forget the radon gas epidemic currently in session. Course the last 2 are results of sealing up homes so much tighter and the change in appliances used for heating. I am starting to wonder about the shingles shots as well - seems like all of sudden every third or fourth person I know has been hit by that- they also got the shots before hand - safe? ( I well remember the start of the flue shots back in the 70's, got talked into that one - never again) Oh well , Think I will just crawl back under my rock, likely not safe either.

P

Can you explain the term ironed on to a newbie
Thanks

That would be when lead starts to build up, then has several rounds run across it pressing it against the bore.

Back