An interestin note from Tomball, and "tuners'.

jackie schmidt

An interesting note from Tomball, and "tuners'.

Make note that the two top shooters in the 10-shot Unlimited had what could best be described as a "snubber" mounted in the middle of their Rail Gun barrels. I will let all of the local experts in '"tuners" and other such devices figure out what this is all about.
Just an observation from "the Competitive Arena";)........jackie

Last edited:
Jackie

I have a couple of questions I hope you don't mind answering.

As you know, I have also tried the "Calfee-style" tuner based on Lynn's suggestions. I got the basic theory to work both times I tried it. I, however, could not get the same weight to work both times. This is what frustrates me, and exactly what I am after.

I know that your system works, not just for you, but for others as well. I use a similar system on rimfires and a couple of hunting rifles.

My questions are:

1. In the past you have posted that you change your powder charge based on ambient conditions (namely humidity), do you still do this or do you tune exclusively with the tuner? I guess the question is, do you tune with both?

2. Which of the following do you think has had the biggest effect on your aggs shrinking over the past couple of years; frozen scopes, modified reloading dies, or the tuner? Not trying to put you on the spot, but you have tested a lot of different stuff, and you know what has worked and what hasn't. You are an outspoken proponent of all these things, but if you could only chose one, what would you keep?

3. Have you ever been able to "set" the tuner ahead of time, or do you always try to shoot a test group or two during the warm-up, etc?

Thanks for you time,

Lisa Spendlove

Lisa

I try to do all of the tuning with the tuner. Basically, I have two loads, Hot, and Hotter. I am not trying to be trite when I say this, just stating my ideas on how to make N133 agg at a competitive level with the basic Bullet-Barrel-Powder combination that I use.
I look at one basic aspect with N133. That is the humidity. I have no explanation as to why, but there is a strange quirk about 133 that makes it do strange things when the humidity drops into the 40 percent and below.
This has proven through the majority of my experiences. I am not talking about pressure, velocity, or the other aspects that govern a powders reactions to varied conditions. I am talking about the agging capability, something that even the powder manufacturers themselves don't seem to quite grasp.
As to your second question, you must remember that I look at 100-200 yard Benchrest as a 'combination'. To say that one particular item is more important than the other is difficult to pin down, as the "agging chain" is only as affective as it's weakest link.
Of course, a scope that will not hold POA is devestating to a combinations agging capability. And not just the scope that suddenly tosses shots .400 from the group. Equally detramental, (even more so), is the scope that has just enough shift to add .015 to .020 to every group. At the top levels of this game, that simply cannot be tolerated.
Yes, I believe the efforts we have expended in the past couple of years correcting this problem is paramount in achieving success.
Of course, I believe in my Tuner. I jokedly say to shooters who ask, "I sure don't have it on there because it is pretty'. I have spent a lot of time and effort learning what I can, and cannot, expect out of the tuner. It is not a "cure all', but simply an added addition to the combinations capabilities.
It is a given that having dies that produce truly straight ammunition is a must. It does little good to expend hours in a attempt to produce perfect chambers and perfect bullets only to insert a huge variable in the form of a imperfect loaded round.
My dies consitantly produce rounds that will have no more than .001 runnout.
Also, we must not forget the one item that allows us to shoot Bencrest the way we do in 2008. That is the Lapua 220 Russian case. If, for some reaon, that were taken from many of us, we would be back to "square one" in our entire development program concerning the combinations agging capability.
At matches, I always confirm how the Rifle is shooting during the first match, or warm up. The extra time allows me to toss enough three shot groups on the sighter to determine how things look. Many times, I change nothing. But, if things do look ragged, I at least have the option to do something about it right there, when it counts.
Personally, I think that the quest for the 'holy grail" of Benchrest, that being the tune that can be set, and then stay there, is wishfull thinking, perpetrated by some shooters who do not understand the concept, and what it takes, to keep a Rifle agging at a competitive level over the course of an entire event. I shoot a lot of matches. Thousand of rounds are expended each year, and I would like to believe that I learn something every time I shoot a agg. I do not base any of my ideas on conjecture, or hypothesis. I base my ideas on one concept, that being how ideas play out in the real world of Competition, where things are brutally simple. You shoot a group, they measure it. A very simple proccess for separating what works, and what is simply a waste of time, bullets, powder, and barrels........jackie

Jackie

Your reply to Lisa serves as an outstanding support to my long held belief that there is no "magic bullet" but rather that winning is based on doing more of a group of many small things extremely well.

You did leave out one of the most significant factors however. I'm sure your reputation for modesty (;)) precluded your mentioning it. Based on you latest Gulf Coast Regional Two Gun agg win under tough conditions you must admit that your ability to read and deal with the conditions, particularly amongst that field of find shooters, was a very significant factor.

"Snubbers"

Jackie

Given the heated exchanges on the tuner discussions, I would be surprised to see an open discussion on "snubbers".

I would be delighted to see both theoretical and practical discussions of this area as I'm experimenting there myself. I think I'll try to stay out if one starts, at least until the tone of discussion is established. If it gets as nasty as the tuner "wars" then some of the joy of sport and experiment is lost.

Back