AMP machine

I agree that they look off, but that is just camera distortion, Ansel Adams, I am not. If you overlook the distortion, what do you think about how far down the case the annealing went? Does it look like it's too much? That is determined by how the pilot is reamed and is not adjustable. Well, that's not quite true. If you didn't screw the pilot all the way in and/or used a shim beween the pilot and the device to keep keep the case from going in deeper you could adjust that. However, from what I've read on the AMP web site, they consider the total amount of brass exposed to the induction coil to determine the program to be used. When you look at the 20 page cartridge settings chart on their web site, it's clear that they put a lot of research and effort into determining the amount of power and duration to be used for each particular cartridge. So, I can understand why they would not want the user to be able to change that arbitrarily. I am more than impressed by what they have done, I am WOWED!

I too am wowed.

I don't anneal but if I did.....that looks righteous

AMP unit

I took delivery of my AMP unit a couple of months ago. First thing I noticed was that I had to readjust my bump dies. The brass springs back on average about 1 to 1.5 thou less. There is less resistance on the hood press handle going into the die as well. With the cost of 220 russian brass these days not to mention the other calibres I am glad I bought one.

I took delivery of my AMP unit a couple of months ago. First thing I noticed was that I had to readjust my bump dies. The brass springs back on average about 1 to 1.5 thou less. There is less resistance on the hood press handle going into the die as well. With the cost of 220 russian brass these days not to mention the other calibres I am glad I bought one.

The reduction of brass spring-back and readjustment of dies is highlighted by the company. I have annealed only a few pieces of brass but will be doing much more in a few days as I start getting my gear ready for the Cactus. Bob Brooks shipped my probes Monday so I should get them in a few days. All kind of new stuff to play with, whoopie!

The reduction of brass spring-back and readjustment of dies is highlighted by the company. I have annealed only a few pieces of brass but will be doing much more in a few days as I start getting my gear ready for the Cactus. Bob Brooks shipped my probes Monday so I should get them in a few days. All kind of new stuff to play with, whoopie!

You'll like Brooksie's probes Jerry.

Aiready a 15% increase . No pilots are included with annealer now.
$1170.00 for annealer and 3 pilots /shipping . $2000.00 here we come

From the look of those over done cases i will stick to propane. I have done a lot of annealing and would not pay 2000 for annealer when i am getting a 100 firings out cases by using a propane annealer, spring back is good and case life is excellent........ jim

From the look of those over done cases i will stick to propane. I have done a lot of annealing and would not pay 2000 for annealer when i am getting a 100 firings out cases by using a propane annealer, spring back is good and case life is excellent........ jim

Well that is not the norm. I wouldn't use those antiquated propane machines anymore if my life depended on it. I can anneal anywhere in the house without ever worrying about setting anything on fire. PLUS ever since switching over to the AMP machine, my bullet seating pressure is a lot more consistent than it ever was with my BS annealer. So if you like propane, more power to ya.

Jim, first i have annealed more cases than you ever will and all you are trying to is justify your investment. I'm on my second annealer because the first one wore out. You are just starting at this, get a 100,000 or so cases done before pass a judgement. jim

Jim, first i have annealed more cases than you ever will and all you are trying to is justify your investment. I'm on my second annealer because the first one wore out. You are just starting at this, get a 100,000 or so cases done before pass a judgement. jim
So you have annealed more cases than me so what. What's the point? I am not trying to justify anything. I have owned and used both machines and from what I gather you have not. I'm just telling you my opinion of a propane annealer VS the AMP. The AMP annealer is just a better mousetrap. I'm telling you that I have gotten less variance in seating pressure numbers with the AMP vs my old Bench Source annealer. By the way Jim, I've been annealing brass cases with a propane torch since I started handloading 43 years ago. I've always annealed hunting cartridges, not BR stuff. So this ain't my first rodeo.

Last edited:
What ever you say....... I was warned about you and guess what they were right ...... jim

And quite a few people in PA that I know said the same damn thing about you. What really cracks me up when 2 people are comparing 2 products, there is always one (like you) that has only one of the 2 products that we are comparing. How the heck can you say that a propane annealer does just as good a job if you never had the other unit? Explain. That's just like when people tell me that their Jewell trigger is just as good as a B&A, but they've never shot or owned one. There is no comparison.

You'll like Brooksie's probes Jerry.

Yep, the probes are great. Or I should say they look well made from quality components. i haven't taken them to the range yet. Just getting 6ppc brass ready to load and fireform. Used the AMP to anneal the twice fired 6ppc brass I had and will be evaluating the seating tension on that batch. As I never had a propane annealing setup I am not qualified to compare the AMP to that process. However, the AMP sure is easy to use. Set it on the table, plug it in turn it on and go. Reliability and cost to repair are unknowns at this point. Went to Harbor Freight today to pick up some metal parts pans to dump the hot brass into after annealing. The smell of melted plastic isn't all that aromatic.

Yep, the probes are great. Or I should say they look well made from quality components. i haven't taken them to the range yet. Just getting 6ppc brass ready to load and fireform. Used the AMP to anneal the twice fired 6ppc brass I had and will be evaluating the seating tension on that batch. As I never had a propane annealing setup I am not qualified to compare the AMP to that process. However, the AMP sure is easy to use. Set it on the table, plug it in turn it on and go. Reliability and cost to repair are unknowns at this point. Went to Harbor Freight today to pick up some metal parts pans to dump the hot brass into after annealing. The smell of melted plastic isn't all that aromatic.

Well Jerry. I never had a permanent place for my Bench Source annealer so I had to set it up on the floor in the basement where my furnace is. It's carpeted and it was a real pain to set up both torches at the right height for the different cases that I use. I had junk cases for all the different benchrest calibers that I have so I'd have to make tests on each case and set the timer so I wouldn't over anneal them, I mean it was just a pain in the rear. With the AMP unit, all of that stuff is eliminated. I know what number has to be programmed in the machine for each different case that I use. It's so user friendly to use it's just like night and day. I mean it a no brainer if you had each unit all set up side by side and asked someone to run both units and pick which one he liked the best. I guarantee they would pick the AMP unit. I can take it to any range in my motorhome and plug it in and use it within 2 minutes of taking it out of the box. Try doing the same with a propane unit.

Think I will buy some for a investment . Keep new in the Box
and sale later ! $2000.00 here we come

Well Jerry. I never had a permanent place for my Bench Source annealer so I had to set it up on the floor in the basement where my furnace is. It's carpeted and it was a real pain to set up both torches at the right height for the different cases that I use. I had junk cases for all the different benchrest calibers that I have so I'd have to make tests on each case and set the timer so I wouldn't over anneal them, I mean it was just a pain in the rear. With the AMP unit, all of that stuff is eliminated. I know what number has to be programmed in the machine for each different case that I use. It's so user friendly to use it's just like night and day. I mean it a no brainer if you had each unit all set up side by side and asked someone to run both units and pick which one he liked the best. I guarantee they would pick the AMP unit. I can take it to any range in my motorhome and plug it in and use it within 2 minutes of taking it out of the box. Try doing the same with a propane unit.

Jim, been wondering if you could run this without regular ac current. I run my chargemaster off a sealed lead acid battery. At first I used a dc -dc converter to regulate the voltage but that turned out to be unnecessary. So, I'm curious what would be required to run the AMP off battery or if it's even possible. There are lot of these jump start devices that also have a compressor. Many have an inverter built in so you can run ac devices off them. I'll have to go to the AMP web site to see what details they provide on the operating specs. OK, their web site says it usually consumes about 600 watts, like a small microwave. Very interesting. That said, I don't think I'm ready to plug a $1000 machine into an inverter without knowing a lot more than I know now.

Last edited:
What I was told 10 years ago

Here is what I was told by a metallurgists about 10 years ago regarding annealing brass cases. When he asked me what I was doing I explained. He then asked me what hardness did I need to achieve and how did I know when I achieved it. Reply I don't know I just heat 'em up until they just start to glow then quench them in the water.

He then asked me how do you know you achieved an even heat distribution. I replied I can't know that.
Then he asked me how do I know how long to soak the cases at that required temperature. Reply I don't.
What is the chemical composition of the various types of brass. I replied cartridge brass is cartridge brass isn't it.
Question why are you using an oxidizing flame with the case exposed to the air. Reply does that matter.

In short he told me I was for the most part wasting my time and that I could actually be making matters worse. I stopped doing it and I can't say the case life was notably shorter. Time will tell how much the case life is extended using the AMP unit. Stay tuned.

i believe that for uniform neck tension
annealing is a must, but i quit.
i used a twin propane setup and could never see
consistency in the end product.
i like the entire idea of the amp.
when funds are available, i will
get one.

Here is what I was told by a metallurgists about 10 years ago regarding annealing brass cases. When he asked me what I was doing I explained. He then asked me what hardness did I need to achieve and how did I know when I achieved it. Reply I don't know I just heat 'em up until they just start to glow then quench them in the water.

He then asked me how do you know you achieved an even heat distribution. I replied I can't know that.
Then he asked me how do I know how long to soak the cases at that required temperature. Reply I don't.
What is the chemical composition of the various types of brass. I replied cartridge brass is cartridge brass isn't it.
Question why are you using an oxidizing flame with the case exposed to the air. Reply does that matter.

In short he told me I was for the most part wasting my time and that I could actually be making matters worse. I stopped doing it and I can't say the case life was notably shorter. Time will tell how much the case life is extended using the AMP unit. Stay tuned.

Andy, if you go to the AMP web site you'll see that they have done a lot of work Identifying a lot of those things you mentioned. For example, for the .223 there are 32 entries broken down by brass manufacture and some are broken down by lot number for a manufacturer. Each entry gives a standard setting and at least three other settings for different neck wall thicknesses. They test the brass sent in by shooters and I think there's around ten pages of settings at least. Wish they'd put it in a pdf file for easy download. Anyway, they've done their homework.

i believe that for uniform neck tension
annealing is a must, but i quit.
i used a twin propane setup and could never see
consistency in the end product.
i like the entire idea of the amp.
when funds are available, i will
get one.

I will be finding out about uniform neck tension in the next couple of days. The first forty pieces of brass I ran through the AMP will be loaded soon and I 'll be watching closely to see how it feels. I'm keeping those rounds separate so I can capture their performance. Forty rounds is a small sample but you gotta start somewhere.

I know

Andy, if you go to the AMP web site you'll see that they have done a lot of work Identifying a lot of those things you mentioned. For example, for the .223 there are 32 entries broken down by brass manufacture and some are broken down by lot number for a manufacturer. Each entry gives a standard setting and at least three other settings for different neck wall thicknesses. They test the brass sent in by shooters and I think there's around ten pages of settings at least. Wish they'd put it in a pdf file for easy download. Anyway, they've done their homework.

I know. I now own an AMP unit. They address all those questions I was asked but couldn't answer. Using a flame makes no sense at all when you become educated. Back then I wasn't. If you think about it like this the price isn't that high. Here is fifteen hundred bucks. Do all the testing a R & D and make one.

Back