Ammo question from a prone shooter.

Law Dawg

All:

I am a relatively experienced long range prone shooter but am new to smallbore prone. I have a custom Swindlehurst prone rifle (27" Broughton 16 Twist)with less than a brick through it (Eley Target). I am about to purchase another brick and need some help: Eley Club, Wolf Match Target, Wolf Match Extra, or what? I would also like to know a source of ammo I could depend on to give me good lot suggestions when I get good enough to shoot the difference in quality ammo.

The reason I posted this "smallbore prone" question here is that I can't imagine anyone knowing more about match ammo than the BR shooters.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Hardy

Jim the only way to tell what ammo is to shoot it. sorry thats just the way it is. you can hedge the odds in your favor by getting the good stuff. even then it's still not set in stone. if you are looking for good ammo i would start with a call to Charles Scott. find him in the classifieds

Come shoot with us. We are in south Georgia. My brother sells Eley and know more than most about ammo. You can go to some matches in north Georgia on Thursday night. Call and I will get you in touch with them. Rod Collins 229-942-5999

Ammo suggestions

Thanks for both responses. Rod, the in-state info sounds great. I will give you a call.

Thanks again,
Jim

Sources

As the fellow above said, different guns like different ammo. I use two sources for quality ammo:

Champions Shooters Supply ( http://www.championshooters.com/start.html )

Good Shooting, Inc. ( http://www.goodshootinginc.com/ ) This is Kathy Winstead/Servin's sight and she is the World Champion RF Silhouette Champion.

Chanpions Shooting Shooters has the better prices and both will send you samples of lots they have available. This year we bought A LOT of ammo from Good Shooting as it was on sale at the Southern National Silhouette Match and all from one lot I tested - it is Eley Pistol Extra Lot 1006-04040 speed 1047. This has been far and away the best ammo I have shot in my Anschutz rifles and shoots very well in other Anschuts rifles we have tried it in except one 1712 silhouette rifle.

Contact either source and they should give you unbiased advice and sent you some test boxes.

George

Back