Aluminum Soft Jaws ?

serious question because I don't know: Are there any products made that would use the same process folks use to chamber barrels? I can't think of any, right of the top of my head but like I said, I don't know. I know of a well respected Smith who pays no attention at all to the muzzle when he chambers and he has made a heck of a lot of winning rifles.

Pete

**Opinions may vary**

Dialing both sides allow you to index the curvature of the bore. This is way more common in doing a long range benchrest barrel. I dial in with a long stem Interapid indicator and index. So far, I am extremely satisfied with how my barrels shoot and the success I've been having with them. I doubt I will deviate from my method.

No Grizzly, range or indicator rods used here. I do have a Grizzly rod, but never used. It may have its use someday.

**Opinions may vary**

**Opinions may vary**

Dialing both sides allow you to index the curvature of the bore. This is way more common in doing a long range benchrest barrel. I dial in with a long stem Interapid indicator and index. So far, I am extremely satisfied with how my barrels shoot and the success I've been having with them. I doubt I will deviate from my method.

No Grizzly, range or indicator rods used here. I do have a Grizzly rod, but never used. It may have its use someday.

**Opinions may vary**

You write "dialing in both sides". Do you not mean dialing both ends?

As to the proper chucking of a barrel fo chambering or crowning it is no big deal. You certainly don't need to spend an additional $2600 for some exotic holding device. All you need on the end to be machined is your 4-jaw chuck, 4 pre 1982 copper pennies and a good long stem indicator like the Interapid. The indicator stem needs to be long enough to reach the throat area when chambering.

Using the copper pennies, chuck on the barrel using the first 1/4" of each penny. This allows the barrel to pivot and not bend. Chucking on a longer portion of the barrel can induce stress into the blank since you will be maneuvering the opposite end of the blank with a device sometimes called a spider, sometimes called a cathead.

Why use pre 1982 pennies, those were 100% copper unlike this LBJ trinket material used today.

I have often wondered

why folks don't simply straighten the barrels, like they do at the Savage Arms Factory? I have watched a few Youtubes of machinists straightening things such a propeller shafts and tooling arbors by heating them with a torch only. Anybody ever tried to do this with a rifle barrel? I had a Smith chamber a barrel a couple of years ago who told me the barrel had a .010" bow I it and the high spot was in the center of the barrel. That might be a candidate of straightening when I get back home. I'll do it the way Savage does though.

Pete

Barrel straightening

why folks don't simply straighten the barrels, like they do at the Savage Arms Factory? I have watched a few Youtubes of machinists straightening things such a propeller shafts and tooling arbors by heating them with a torch only. Anybody ever tried to do this with a rifle barrel? I had a Smith chamber a barrel a couple of years ago who told me the barrel had a .010" bow I it and the high spot was in the center of the barrel. That might be a candidate of straightening when I get back home. I'll do it the way Savage does though.

Pete

barrel straightening costs money/time....barrel bores need not be straight(within reason).And a crooked bore don`t mean a barrel won`t shoot....
Long range shooters commonly clock barrels to get more elevation.
bill larson

You write "dialing in both sides". Do you not mean dialing both ends?
I do both ends to index. Once I'm ready to make chips, the breach is all I worry about. Then after I prebore, I reach back in and dial in the throat area if needed, then cut the chamber.

I'm sure there are hundreds of methods. Some good, some not so good. I've only chambered a handful of barrels, but my machining background definitely helps in making a nice chamber job.

barrel straightening costs money/time....barrel bores need not be straight(within reason).And a crooked bore don`t mean a barrel won`t shoot....
Long range shooters commonly clock barrels to get more elevation.
bill larson

I've also heard that indexing a barrel at 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock, accuracy is at the best. The came from a guy that indexes and spin tests barreled action on paper.

Back