alternate chambering question

This is one of my HS checking gauges. I have them in a couple different setups for different type receivers. Slide your HS gauge into the chamber, screw my tool on and measure.

I ream until it measures the same as my notes in my book or the measurement on the barrel that I just took off. Starting with a new receiver and no barrel, I take my measurements as all (most) do.
Back to the OP's question. I don't care about the wear in my tail stock. My Clausing came without any graduations on my tailstock wheel. I took the dial from the knee of a Bridgeport and machined the end of the tailstock next to the handwheel. Now I have graduations. I found it to be dead nuts. I use a pusher similar to a Bald Eagle. I do not want any tool influencing the direction of the reamer.
wswly8.jpg

Nice Gage! I am making a similar one. Does yours slip over the tenon threads or does it screw on?

Mine screw on, but I do have one that slips on and it has a Mitutoyo Digimatic digital indicator. I prefer the screw on model. I use the vertical lines to line up the lettering or caliber designation and am able to use that to letter or number my new barrel like the older one without having it in hand.

Because of all the actions I chamber for with varying diameters and tenon lengths I have 4 slip on. All with large diameter .0001" reading micrometer thimbles. Measure small cut small.

Back