Al's 6x47L

All of the cases in the pix in this thread were sized with an unhardened FL die made from a reamer which is about .002 smaller than the chamber. This entire thread is devoted to my development of my version of the "6X47 Lapua" made from 6.5X47L brass. Notice that the cases maintained with this unhardened die all have scratches.

I've lately been using a different barrel and a Neil Jones hardened resizer.

The second pic below shows cases sized 46 times using the Jones die.

Both resizers work well, in both sets of pictures the cases have been fired fairly hot and sized 40-50 times, never trimmed to length....... the difference is in the finish. By "fairly hot" I mean that I'm pushing 108gr 6mm bullets to 3150fps.

Beyond 3200fps one must be very careful of temperature swings and 3350fps is about the top end for these bullets using this case. By seasoning the cases I can run 3350 which IMO is pressure equivalent to running the same bullet through a 6BR @ 2950fps. Also, when running 3350 I lose a few cases due to primer pocket failure even WITH seasoning..... I'm in agreement with Lynn here that newer Lapua cases may be a little less consistent and most certainly a little softer than older brass. Running "gentle" 3150fps loads allows this setup to exhibit nearly infinite case life, I can make 100 cases and wear out several barrels if I so choose.

A hardened die just shines the sized portions of the cases whereas an unhardened die dies not. In both pictures the cases were sized using die wax as lubricant.

These cases have never been annealed or touched in any way except to resize between firings. All are set up such that the bolt falls closed with no pressure and very little (ounces) of feel.

al

Attachments

• unhardened die.jpg
    unhardened die.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 291
  • jones die.jpg
    jones die.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 271
I neglected to mention another finding.

The chamber used in the initial development of this case (MY version :) ) is spec'd to be .007 oversized at the base. A serendipitous benefit of this choice is that I can cull my cases for casewall runout by observing the swelling at the base/web junction.

The chamber which uses the Neil Jones hardened die is spec'd at .009 over the base of the unfired brass. This chamber does not "read" as well as he chamber which is only .007 over...... nearly all of the cases fired in the SuperFat chamber show a smooth ring all the way around the case.

in future I will spec at .007 over exclusively on those cases based on the .473 bf.

(Until I change my mind! ;))

al

Al,
Have you found something wrong with Hornady's custom FL or Bushing dies?
I think they are $125 for a FL die and $150 for a FL bushing die.
Dies are CNC to your specks and hardened.

James

An update......

I've now tried Hornady Custom Shop dies built to spec. For 200.00 for a non-bushing die set they did scrupulously hit my spec'd numbers.

al

I had some dies made by Hornady before I had the machinery to make my own. They made a good die.
(I just heard a few hrs ago they have stopped production of custom/wildcat dies.)
I was glad this thread came up, I never read it when it was current. I tried the whole ordeal of ordering reamers tight at the case head. Quickest way there is to get "clicky" brass is to order a reamer tight at the case head!
I have used sammi reamers for some tactical shooters that called me to tell me they now have the most accurate rifles they've ever shot and they are getting more shots on steel now because they are able to see changes in the conditions while they continue to shoot as the conditions change instead of fighting their bolt lift and loosing sight of the target.
They were sammi case size with my neck and throat specifications.

Last edited:
Jay , I told you the other day you should start making more dies .

I received a call today from Ben Sering of Hornady Mfg. He asked about a die that was made for me by Hornady before I ever made one for my self.
While I had him on the horn I asked him about the rumor of Hornady shutting down the wildcat die line. He said he was so far behind he had to stop taking orders.
Seems like it'd be a good time to start a die making operation.

I received a call today from Ben Sering of Hornady Mfg. He asked about a die that was made for me by Hornady before I ever made one for my self.
While I had him on the horn I asked him about the rumor of Hornady shutting down the wildcat die line. He said he was so far behind he had to stop taking orders.

Couple of items....

JAY, are you making dies?

Also, since this thread I've had dies made by Ben Sering at Hornady (who IS again accepting orders BTW) and they were good. Sizing dies, good. Seating dies, kludgy floating sleeve but OK...

Couple of items....

Also, since this thread I've had dies made by Ben Sering at Hornady (who IS again accepting orders BTW) and they were good. Sizing dies, good. Seating dies, kludgy floating sleeve but OK...

Occasionally. I have a few on my bench needing finished. Getting batches in quantity for heat treat and melonite became an issue and slowed me down to the point of seldom ever making dies.

What's going on?

I didn't exactly mean to try and take business away from Hornady with this post. They were way behind on dies for a while and Ben just happened to call me about a customers order for a duplicate to the die Hornady made for me. Looking back on this it looks like I gave away classified information or something.

Couple of items....

You know, I got along with that floating sleeve just fine. Those dies are different but get onto them and they are as accurate as any other 7/8x14tpi seater dies. Mine had the micrometer on top.

Occasionally. I have a few on my bench needing finished. Getting batches in quantity for heat treat and melonite became an issue and slowed me down to the point of seldom ever making dies.

What's going on?

Ohh, I've got 6-8 one-off dies to have made. All weird wildcat stuff that I only have one reamer for and don't know if I want to buy sizing reamers for.

I just bought another, smaller heat treat furnace so maybe I can make some of them where I do own the sizer reamers myownself IF, and this is a big if, IF I can figger out how to harden them in-house.

I get severiously mixed messages re hardening......

I've got some of Kiff's blanks and some Newlon's....but I'm always looking for good die-makers.

You know, I got along with that floating sleeve just fine. Those dies are different but get onto them and they are as accurate as any other 7/8x14tpi seater dies. Mine had the micrometer on top.

I hate 'em.....they just dangle down in my way, jam up the system and serve no purpose IMO. Just another obstacle in the way in my quest of NOT dropping one of my 20.00 cases on the floor :)

Ohh, I've got 6-8 one-off dies to have made. All weird wildcat stuff that I only have one reamer for and don't know if I want to buy sizing reamers for.

I just bought another, smaller heat treat furnace so maybe I can make some of them where I do own the sizer reamers myownself IF, and this is a big if, IF I can figger out how to harden them in-house.

I get severiously mixed messages re hardening......

I've got some of Kiff's blanks and some Newlon's....but I'm always looking for good die-makers.

I sometimes get away with making a die or a chamber by using 3 or 4 different reamers but not on anything that will be duplicated many times. I sent my dies over to fireball for heat treat several times and used a couple places in Indianapolis as well.
You can call me at two one seven two six four double 0 four seven, maybe I can make some for you.

I sometimes get away with making a die or a chamber by using 3 or 4 different reamers but not on anything that will be duplicated many times. I sent my dies over to fireball for heat treat several times and used a couple places in Indianapolis as well.
You can call me at two one seven two six four double 0 four seven, maybe I can make some for you.

Thank You :)

Back