Alaskan huntiing trip

I was watching American Hunter yesterday - the program was dedicated to Caribou hunting in Africa. The "required" factory rep was hunting with a .338 Federal, Wayne Van Zwoll was hunting with a .260 Remington... Hummmm.

Y'all have about conviced me to to take my 7mm-8. Nah.. I've always needed a good excuse to set up a classic 30-06, perhaps this is my opportunity.

the hunt is still almost 2 years away, and I'm not sure on details. Perhaps getting a rifle put together and putting in a little practice should move up on the priority list...perhaps? thx all. jk.

My personal favorite 30-06 is a scratch built pre-64 Model 70. I put a one in 12 twist Lilja barrel on it in a number 4 contour, McMillan stock, roguard and MP3 finish. It is wickedly accurate. Trouble is I should of stayed with a one in ten twist, then I could use the Woodleigh 240 grain bullets. 180 grain is the longest I can get to work in that twist in cold weather. It is a funny thing to me, but so far I can't detect quicker dead than just dead? I would like to try the 240 grain bullets on growly bears. The 180's sure kill quick. I favorite bullet for most moose and all Caribou is the Remington Core-Loks. Stay far away from the Bronze points.

Make all your shots shoulder shots, you won't go wrong!

enough gun

I have spent some time in the very far north and have interacted with a fair number of natives, both inuit and more recent transplants. The Inuit shoot a lot of caribou with .243 and .303 brits, I understand the 303 given surplus arms but was always surprised at the 243's. A family unit and their dogs would take upwards of 50 caribou so the 243 must work. None of them reloaded and just bought was at the Bay,rem core lokt. I spent some time with a trapper on the coasyt of Hudson Bay just south of Churchil, thinks lots of Polar Bear and we carried a 303 and a double barreled shotgun. The trapper said you do not shoot a bear you start to shoot and continue until it is dead give it no quarter. The trapper spent about 11 months in the bush.

I have spent a lot of time around all flavors of bear that we have in North America sometimes armed with a gun and sometimes not. I always carried a number of M-70 fire crackers in my go bag with a bic lighter, when I saw a bear in my proximity I would light one and throw it clear from me this worked with browns 4 times. My gun of choice when walked in the Alders or other brush was my 870 extended mag in a tactical sling, first 3 rounds were slugs and the last 3 were 00 buck. I used to sea kayak on the coast of BC and AK and there is a lot of brush at shore. Never had to use the shotgun and was very happy for it.

What people are saying about the inland browns is correct they are pretty small, they live on ground squirrles in the tundra. A diet of big salmon makes for a very big bear as does additional time out of hibernation that the coastals have.

If I were specifically hunting for browns I would probably take my 375 Ruger. Agreed a 30-06 will easily kill them, but the ability to break serious bone and reach the vitals from additional directions might give some merit to the 375 Ruger, especially at close range. I have shot about 200 rounds through my 375 R in prep for an African trip that fell through, it shoots easily and reasonable accuracy.

Just a couple of pennys thoughts from me, take it for what it is worth, many will find something different that works for them and that is great.

Thanks

wade

Another Vote for 30-06

I also vote for the 30-06. I have used it all over the world and shot everything including Eland and Bear. I used 180gr Barnes "X" bullets for one shot kills. The 30-06 is cheaper and easyer to shoot than a magnum and therefore will be shot more. Practice, practice, practice, bullet placement is everything.

Too much gun

I hunted Ca Black Bear. Long story shortened Average size Black bear in a tree 80 yards away. Shot him 3 times (all 3 shots in the boiler room) with a 300RUM 200 gr Accubond it was the 3rd shot that cost him his iron gripe on the tree. Looking back I could've done the same with 1/2 the gun. Since sold the RPG .

Big Al is right about Woodleigh bullets , their bonded bullets work well because they are solder bonded not chemical bonded.

Got a guy that has...........

a .338 Win, Br.-Abolt,McMillan stock, bunch of handloads W/250 Nosler Partitions, Burris 'scope, shoots phenomenally well, everything was one-shot, even moose, $2250, shipped.;)

Alaska

Jeff I suggest you built the 300 HH that you want to take on the Alabama deer hunt. That is the caliber that you want anyway. I have killed cariboo and bear, the Boo are real sissies as soon as you geat a bullet in them from any direction they just fall dead or stop and stand there. The next time I hunt the cariboo I will carry a 243 with a bonded bullet.

The handgun is for when you dont have a rifle around/fast at hand, like sleeping. But i agree that a 30-06 would be great for any none dangerous game. A hunt to alaska is a good reason to by a new gun!

The 7-08 or 270 will kill the biggest caribou, and the biggest bear as dead as can be. The key is good bullets in the boiler room, that combination never fails. If you are looking for an excuse to build another gun, go for it, but you certainly don't need it.

Caribou hunting is generally done in open tundra, you aren't going to inadvertantly sneak up on a bear, or have them sneak up on you. Bear/hunter altercantions on caribou trips are about the least likely of big game hunts.

Unless you allot time between your flight into Anchorage or Faibanks before heading out to the bush, you aren't going to be getting ammo that has been lost. Once you get outta town, the odds of finding any ammo are pretty slim.

I'd much rather carry a light accurate 7-08 that I can consistantly place my shots with at 400 yds, then a heavier magnum that is a chore to carry, or that is light but beats the snot out of me.

I'm planning to take my son out caribou hunting next year, he won't be the least undergunned with his .243 loaded w/ 85 gr tsx.

Actually had a friend of mine take a caribou with a .58 caliber Civil War musket and a pure lead minie ball. Seriously! About 150 yards if I recall. So, I wouldn't think you need anything over the top caliber wise.

I have a friend who has killed 4 caribou norh of Quebec & they all died just fine. However, if you are hunting in Alaska, your concern about bears is well justified. If you are hunting with a guide, he will have/should have an adequate rifle to back you up. I read every year that hunters have had a "close encounter" with a brown bear who wanted the caribou/deer/moose just as much as the hunter did. Guides regualrly return to a gut pile to shoot a bear to fill the bear ticket. My PERSONAL experience includes 2 coastal brown bears, shot at 45 yds in 1995, and 20 yds in 2003. Consider that they can cover 40 feet in 2 seconds. In both cases the bear ran too fast for the guide to get a shot off. Both were well shot with my .338 with 250 gr bullets & were dead on their feet. The first chose to run into the bush & went about 60 yds before tearing up the undergrowth in a 30 foot circle while he died. The 2nd ran into the treeline at last light & circled on his backtrail, waiting. The guide went in, could hear it breathing bubbling blood, but it was too dark inside the treeline to see more than a dark outline. He shot 4 times & it died. We skinned it out & found that the guide had hit it once...in the rear quarter........If you expect bear, BRING ENOUGH GUN. My .338 will shoot the lights out with a 200 gr bullet; shoots flat, & recoil is very tolerable. Hope this helps/ Chaz

just another .02

i read in your origional post you were thinking of a 300 win mag. i have a winchester 70 in that caliber. i had a triplemag recoil pad and a vais brake installed on it. as far as weight it is comprable to my 30-06 and felt recoil is alot less than my 06. i use the 180gr nosler partition ahead of R22 powder which is really accurate in my rifle. just thought i would add a plug for this venerable old cartridge as it is one i enjoy shooting. Fred

Who's in your hunting party??

If you have a guide - rely on them for bear protection.

If someone else in the group will have a 30 cal or bigger then stay close to them if there are bears around.

From my experience, what you would use for deer will be fine for caribou.

I'd go with the 270 instead of the 7-08 because I've shot caribou at over 300yds and that seems to be more common for me than not. If you're in areas that don't provide those kind of long shots I'd bring the 7-08.

Caribou go down easy. Taking a rifle you shoot well is more important that being able to stop a train.

Big Al knows what he is talking about. A 30-06 will do just fine.

Even a pointed stick will kill a coastal brown. See below.

gt40

Attachments

• pointed stick.jpg
    pointed stick.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 156
Back