Advice on front rest for F Class Open / Benchrest shooting

S

Sarah

Dear All,
I need to identify what I should be looking for in a front rest for use in F Class (Open Class) and centerfire Benchrest? Is a great F Class rest the same as a good benchrest rest or are they subtly different? What do you look for when buying a rest? :)
All advice greatly appreciated.
Best Regards to all
Sarah

While you are shopping, I suggest you take a look at the 21st Century Shooting front rest. It has provision to offset the front bag from the elevation screw, so that the elevation and windage controls are closer to the shooter when in the prone position. The fellow who makes and designed them, shoots F class (if my memory serves). There are a couple of unique features that you can ask him about as well. While not an inexpensive rest, it is very well made. He also sells feet to use on the ground. If you look around on his home page you will see them. http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Front_Rest.php

Id say for centerfire benchrest the farley is king and for f-open i think the neo is best. Either will work in both

"F" Class Front Rest

In "F" class open......you are dealing with a 21+pound gun.... so you need a very sturdy rest.....
I`ve used homemade,sinclair,farley,bald eagle and other joystick rest attachments....
Most who compete a lot use a seb neo..(exspensive but worth it)...for many different reasons......strength/dual pt.support/joystick
Bob pastor`s "Viper" rest is also sturdy.but no joy stick....

Right now I`m using a modified Sinclair no joystick add on....til my Seb Neo gets here......
Read the equipment lists of matches....
bill larson

Sarah,
I too have used a number of rests for F-Class including 3 other joy-stick rests. My vote goes to the Seb Neo. They are head and shoulders above all the rest (pun not intended). One of the things often over looked on an F-Class rest is the ability to adjust the rest up and down a large distance. F-Class ranges are not like BR benches. They often have sloping firing points and high and low spots. I used to carry quite a few spacers to put under my rear bag. But since I got my first SEB Neo I only carry a few for the use of friends. The Neo has over 5" of easily adjustable vertical adjustment. I seldom if ever have to mess with the leg screws. Besides the joy stick movement on the Neo is unbelievable. The Neo is hard to get and expensive, but is worth the wait and cost.
Larry Bartholome

Front Rest

Does anyone know what rest Shiraz shot off last week, when he won the Canadian Nationals and the Americas Match?

Viper rest

Does anyone know what rest Shiraz shot off last week, when he won the Canadian Nationals and the Americas Match?

Now this is just a wild guess, but might it be a classic lavender Viper rest by our friend Bob Pastor? How've you been Bob?

Greg

Now this is just a wild guess, but might it be a classic lavender Viper rest by our friend Bob Pastor? How've you been Bob?

Greg

Hi Greg,

Since Larry wouldn't say so, yes it's one of my rests. The lavender color is from the discoloration in the film. Shiraz figured out long ago that if you shoot a joy stick, it can and will move during recoil unless you hold the handle.

I've been working in my shop and making stuff. Are you still competing?

With Best Regards,
Bob

I like my black one you built but would not lend it to shiraz,

the canucks let him win as a visitor, one of the perks of having us as neighbors, we are polite and let you guys win until the real match is on in a couple of years

Jefferson

I like my black one you built but would not lend it to shiraz,

the canucks let him win as a visitor, one of the perks of having us as neighbors, we are polite and let you guys win until the real match is on in a couple of years

Jefferson

Hi Jefferson, Polite yes. Competitive Always. Some of the finest marksmen on the planet reside North of the U.S. border. I've had my share of tight battles with very polite Canadians. Hell, they are even polite after they kick your ass.

Bob

Hi Greg, Are you still competing?

Bob,

I haven't shot since Match Ten, 2012 at Hawks Ridge. I've got a new gig that December that I hadn't anticipated. I had thought from time to time that I might like to try a blue eyed redhead. Now that I have, I've learned that they are full time and high maintenance but worth it. Anala will be four years old Monday.

Best regards to you as well,

Greg

Attachments

• Poppy and Anala.jpg
    Poppy and Anala.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 720
Bob,

I haven't shot since Match Ten, 2012 at Hawks Ridge. I've got a new gig that December that I hadn't anticipated. I had thought from time to time that I might like to try a blue eyed redhead. Now that I have, I've learned that they are full time and high maintenance but worth it. Anala will be four years old Monday.

Greg

Greg, Keep your powder dry and your brass prepped. I see a future Lady shooter with some serious skills from Grand Pop.

Enjoy your new Lady, they are worth every second.

Bob

Bob,

Greg

As Robert Heinlein put it, "Little girls and butterflies need no excuse".

Hi Greg,

Since Larry wouldn't say so, yes it's one of my rests. Shiraz figured out long ago that if you shoot a joy stick, it can and will move during recoil unless you hold the handle.

Bob

Bob,
I try to not to comment on things I have no knowledge of and I have no way of knowing what Shiraz used in Canada. You make a great rest. I prefer a joy stick rest. To each his own!

Back