advantage of high power scopes

I

ifldned

I would like to get opinions on the advantage of shooting a 36x power scope and higher over a 24 power scope. I presently use a 24x and 16x scopes and place a the dot just touching a quadrant at two places to shoot for groups at 50 yards with a 22lr. How much advantage is there with a March 10-60 power scope over a 24 leupold at 50 yards?

In my opinion it is totally personally preference.

Being able to see really good spoils you. There are a few shooting 24 power, 16 I think I would like to see the bullet holes a little better than that.

36x is probably the most popular.

I personally have 2 rifles with 40x LCS scopes and one with a weaver T-36. I will tell you after shooting the 40 power I like the fact of being able to see better with the 40.

It really is difficult to go from shooting these high power scopes off the bench then going to 3-9 power hunting. Good magnification spoils you.

Some want less power so they have a larger field of view.

The most important thing is having a scope that is not going to move on you during a match!

So I feel like I typed quite a bit and really didn't tell you much.

Charlie

Personal Preseption

I once shot with Gary Pearson, and he beat me on a regular basis. He often complained that his eyes were going bad and everything was starting to blur every time he looked thru his 24X Tasco. I checked it out, and sure enough, every thing got blurry when I looked thru his 24X Tasco. I was used to a 36X Leupold. After he had his eyes operated on to remove cataracts, he said it was like waking up in a new world. His 24X Tasco was no longer a problem for him. I thought he had also replaced his scope, as his scores got even better. I checked out his scope during a match, and lo and behold, it was still that blurry 24X Tasco. So you see, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Increased magnification is a curse!!!!

Don't do it, you'll end up spending more and more money on scopes, ignorance is bliss.:eek:

Started out with 6.5 x 20 Leupold, went to 24X and now have a series of modified scopes that cost more and not happy with the alternative. Current high magnification is a 20 x 50, got so spoiled ended up plunking more money than I should have on a 14.5 x 35 for a varmint gun.

I'm deathly afraid of looking thru a March scope...:D

Be afraid, be very afraid! The March is incredible!

You got that right, I have one on my 6PPC and I pray on a regular basis that I don't need one on a .22, but I do use the Leupold 45 that used to be on the PPC and it is rather nice on the IR50 target.

You got that right, I have one on my 6PPC and I pray on a regular basis that I don't need one on a .22, but I do use the Leupold 45 that used to be on the PPC and it is rather nice on the IR50 target.

Come on now, you KNOW you need one on the 22....

sightron scopes

are you recommending the sightron 36x s II series or the Big Sky series, which is considerably more in price?

that 24x you have can be bumped with an optical booster. G.Davis and C. scott both sell them. I have 2 on 24x sightron's and it is an improvement.

are you recommending the sightron 36x s II series or the Big Sky series, which is considerably more in price?

I have the 36x S II and from what i hear there is not much in it between the two apart from the price.

AndyD

36X +3 ver 42X

Here is a comparison between a Weaver 36X witha 3X adapter, and Nightforce 42.
NF42.jpg

Weaver36w3X.jpg

Nightforce on the top pic with the clearer optics and greater magnification?

I would say yes to question of which is which, the addition of the booster will dim the sight picture some

the 3x booster will increase the weaver to approximately 46x.

according to Gene Davis in an article in accurate shooters .com a 3x optical booster on a weaver 36x takes the power to 46x.I trust what Gene Davis says about 3x opticals.

Why?

If that were the case, wouldn't the weaver 36X with the adapter show a larger image. I can't tell the difference in the brightness of the Weaver with or without the adapter. I'll try and take some more photos, with and with out to see the difference, if any. Top Photo is the NF42.

Back