adding stock weight(s)

bob finger

I'd like to add about 8 ounces to the butt of one of my competition bench rest rifles. A Google search revealed only one commercial product, made by PMA. It is reasonably priced and appears to fit the bill. Any other ideas? Thanks. bob

I'd like to add about 8 ounces to the butt of one of my competition bench rest rifles. A Google search revealed only one commercial product, made by PMA. It is reasonably priced and appears to fit the bill. Any other ideas? Thanks. bob

The PMA system is nice if you want the weight to be adjustable. But if it is a more or less permanent installation, you can use just about anything - solid lead, lead shot, brass, tungsten, steel, rocks, you name it. It isn't rocket science, and if it's covered by the butt plate, it doesn't have to look pretty. Whatever it is, make sure you glue it in securely.

A friend turned one of his two identical Panda actioned LVs into a heavy. He added part of the weight by machining a brass weight that clamped on the scope rail, and filled all of the available space between his rings, up to the bottom of the scope. The rifle shot better after it was added. I think that there may be some advantage to distributing the weight rather than putting it all in one place.

Some years back, a friend bought a rifle out of an estate that weighed 12.5#. It tracked flawlessly, despite having a less than state of the art stock. He decided that since he was unsure of the round count that he would have it rebarreled and somewhat proudly told me that he was going to bring it up to the HV limit by putting on a longer barrel. I cautioned him that the weight was not a requirement, but an uppler limit, and given how well the rifle tracked, that I thought that he should give serious consideration to simply duplicating the old barrel's shape and length with the new one.

One time Dick Wright solicited questions on line for one of his Tony Boyer interview articles. My question made the cut. It was would he sacrifice barrel weight for rifle balance. The answer was yes.

Back