about to buy first rifle; noob questions

Welcome to the fun. You will probably find as I did that as you read, learn, research equipment within your budget and buy and put that stuff into use, that you will probably never be completely satisfied. Not trying to discourage you, just stating fact as I see it when someone gets bit by the precision shooting bug.

This is a challenge that we impose on ourselves and the journey is a lot of fun. There is an almost limitless variety of equipment types (for different shooting disciplines) and levels of quality and precision (yes, you usually get what you pay for) that you will never be able to stand back and say "yep, I've mastered this...time to find a REAL challenge". I predict that you will have a pile of stuff in a few years that you had purchased, tried and then researched a little more and bought your way up to the next level. I have that pile!

I have learned more from the folks in this forum and also the 6mmbr forum in the past few years than I thought possible. Another resource in your shooting education will be found at shooting competitions. Notice I didn't suggest any specific form of competition. Find what shoots take place in your area, especially the shoots that allow you to use your gun. Go, make friends, do some shooting and keep your eyes and ears open.

You have been given lots of good advice in this thread. My 2 cents are as follows. Get a scope on the gun. Do some shooting with it and get comfortable with your gun. Try to get out to 300 yards or so and have some fun with that. Go to local shoots and SHOOT YOUR GUN with those guys. Look at their equipment (you won't be able to take your eyes off of their stuff!)

You seem like a smart person. You'll figure it out for you.

Have fun!
Jerry

You heed to get into the habit of greasing your...primary extraction cam every 25-50rds.

Are you talking about the extractor? If so, are you talking about greasing the bevel that the case slides over? If not, what is the extraction cam, and where is it?

the extraction

Are you talking about the extractor? If so, are you talking about greasing the bevel that the case slides over? If not, what is the extraction cam, and where is it?

cam is the area where the front of the bolt handle and the first part of the action meet upon opening. If you are shooting a rt bolt rifle, look at the far left part of the bolt handle where it meets the bolt body. and look at the far left area of the action body where the aforementioned part of the bolt will first meet it. The 2 combined is the primary extraction cam.

David

i said i'd post some pictures, so i took some today when i finally got the scope on and shot it today. my dad decided to loan me his redfield 4-12x40 which i'm really liking. i got some $30 rings from bass-pro, got it mounted up, zero'd at 100 (got just over MOA at 100) and stretched out to 230. shot about 10" at that range. i feel like i'm flinching though so i'm sure all that sloppiness is user error. the gun is really light so it's tough to hold steady. i'll get used to it.

IMG_20130131_132137.jpg

IMG_20130131_153208.jpg

IMG_20130131_151416.jpg

that's just my first group. i got it tighter next try

Good Start.

Suggest you try a little dry firing to see if you are building a good shooting position. If you are using muscle to hold or if you are flinching or jerking the trigger, you will have to work on your technique.

If those crosshairs jump off the mark when you dry fire, keep adjusting your position to achieve a trigger pull which stays on the target. Then, don't change that method when you live fire.

And, since we are at it, let me find you a bibliography list link that you can start chewing on to see what you can learn when it is storming and you are by the fireplace....

Here is a decent one, reading isn't a substitute for shooting, but it does keep you from wasting time and money.

http://www.oocities.org/colosseum/loge/4198/rifle/biblio.htm.tmp

If I may be free...... (you seriously impressed me with your admission of 10" groups at 230yds) ......... you sound like you could be the curious sort who may well excel at this sort of thing.

#1-Take notes. Learn to take good notes now and it'll save you acres of heartache down the road.
#2- Stay honest. This sounds trite but it ain't..... it's just too easy to lead oneself down the rosy path by getting a couple good groups. The notes will help.
#3- Keep an open mind and be careful of advice. Test stuff. Don't believe anybody, LISSEN, but don't believe until you test :)
#4- Keep it FUN!!! Don't obsess about "if only I could afford such-and-such..." just SHOOT!

hth

al

thanks guys. is it realistic that with decent ammo (my best right now is hornady superformance match), i should be able to hit a 2" group at 200 yards? that's MOA right?

Yes 2" groups at 200yds is very close to 1moa

I, myself would not expect your rifle to be capable of 1moa.

al

ruger claims that it should be able to. people have done it. and i got close to it at 100 yards yesterday which was my first time shooting that gun or any .308 for that matter. it seems definitely attainable at 100 yards but i'm not convinced that i'll ever see it beyond 200 yards

Heh. Don't take any claims or "guarantees" seriously. All that matters is what *you* can do with it under *your* specific conditions.

That rifle looks a lot like my Tikka T-3 Lite coyote rifle. I have that exact scope mounted, btw. Mine is a bear to hold steady.

Keep at it. If you get a chance to visit somewhere benchrest is shot, do it. Usually someone will offer to let you shoot their rifle.

Greg J.

do you think that a fixed bipod on the gun would help much? i'm not sure what the real consensus on these is, but i've thought that it would help my groups a lot. it would be easier to shoot off one of those than off the makeshift rests that i come up with.

I use a Sinclair Generation III F-Class bipod on my Savage. I like it. I don't know if that's what you're talking about.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...r-3rd-generation-f-class-bipod-prod44699.aspx

I just use a Harris or a clone on my hunting rifles. My son shot a very nice little .258" group*** with his Model 70 from one this past weekend. There are people that know how to use one fairly well. Not me. I just read what they write and try to do the best that I can.

See http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html .

***3-shots. Measured outside-to-outside, then subtracted the measured diameter of one bullet hole.

wow i've never even seen a bipod like that. would a simpler light weight bipod not be so appropriate for trying to stretch out to long ranges? my expectations are a little different now then originally. i don't know if this gun will ever be possible of getting out past 500 yards or so. i'm still just trying to learn how to shoot though.

Back