A question to viper shooters

Andy Cross

Hi Guys,
I am going to build a new switch gun rig in 6mmPPC. I like the viper drop port idea but am also a fan of the right bolt left port Kelby actions. My wife is a graphic designer and loves to create the look for my rifles. I know the Kelby can be Cera-coated any color you want without affecting the steel inserts or aluminium. I asked the people at Stiller if that could be done with their actions and they couldn't tell me. Pretty strange. So I guess the answer will have to come from someone reading this.
Andy.

I think the concern would be the thermal expansion rates of the steel insert vs. the aluminum receiver. The insert has two areas of interference or press fit, is torqued into place, and with loctite. All this makes it highly unlikely that the insert will move, particularly with no barrel to induce a directional force on the insert while the action is heated for cure...but not entirely impossible. A safer way would be to use their air cure products or Duracoat.---Mike Ezell

Last edited:
Not a clue on the color but I have both a DP and a Grizzley rb/lp. I far prefer the function of the drop port to trying to constrain the trajectory of the fired case ejected from the Grizzley. This goes triple at my home range where, because of bench design, there is only a few inches of bench to the right of my setup rifle.

Last edited:
Up one more for the duracoat From what i have read ceracoat requires it to be heated to 300degF.
Better be safe then sorry

Duracoat is absolute junk compared to cerakote. I have cerakoted Lots os BAT's, Pandas, Bordens, Rem's and Winny.etc.

Cerakote can be cured at lower temps for extended periods of time for the full cure. Cerakote recommends 250*F @ 2hrs or for quick cure (which I never use) 300*F at one hour. I paint stocks with the "H" series cerakote (same as used on the metal) that have been bedded at well below 200*F for extended time, with absolutely no ill effects to the bedding (indicator checked before paint and after).

To ease your worries even more, Kelbly's even cerakote the Pandas also. The steel tennon insert will not be affected. It is put in with a casting agent that will handle the heat cure with no problems at all. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info guys

Looks as though I will get a drop port and be fairly sure it can be ceracoated without messing thigs up. When it comes to the bolt of the action I would imagine the locking lugs are left un-coated and only the outside of the receiver is coated.
Andy.

Whats a few more years

It's taken me about 15 years to get back into BR. If it takes another year or two obtaining the viper then that's what it takes.
Andy.

I have heard that Stiller's Precision is up to their eyeballs doing work for the government . . . there is a war on, you know. Last couple exchanges I've had with Russ didn't confirm this, but he was cagy about uncertain delivery times, which I appreciated knowing.

Tell me more

Call Stick at S&S in Dallas. He is modifiing the Panda actions for drop port, just got one in and it is working flawlessly.

Jim

Tell me more about S&S. If you have a right bolt left loading port and ejection on the right what happens with the opening on the right side after modification.
Regards,
Andy.

Back