A Little Bit of History

Fixed scope. I can see how you could adjust for side to side POI with the Leupold Style rear adjustment and dovetail front, maybe he shimmed the mount untill it hit close enough for the up and down at 100, then used the big square at 200.

It is a bit of history. The stock looks like a 40x pattern with a sharp cornered forearm.

Last edited:
Looks like he made a few lightening cuts to make weight.

Hal

But it's so nicely done. A lot of hand work in that action and bolt. I love the Swiss cheese in the cocking piece. That Canjar trigger is really interesting, too. I haven't measured it yet, but it's really light.

Fixed scope. I can see how you could adjust for side to side POI with the Leupold Style rear adjustment and dovetail front, maybe he shimmed the mount untill it hit close enough for the up and down at 100, then used the big square at 200.

It is a bit of history. The stock looks like a 40x pattern with a sharp cornered forearm.

It's a Beuhler mount. They haven't been made in quite a few years, but Beuhler in Orinda still answers the phone. They're sending me some instructions on how to adjust for vertical. It involves spacers which they can still provide. I guess these mounts were pretty common on custom rifles back then.

The rifle Mac used to shoot the 0.009 was on a McMillan action. But the stock was one of Gale's early fibreglass models. Scope was a Siebert converted Leupold (12x bumped to 24x). Pat made the barrel, chambering it in 222. The reported load was 23.5 of BL-C over prototype BR-4 primers.

Beautiful piece of benchrest history you have there. I hope it still sees range time.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

The rifle Mac used to shoot the 0.009 was on a McMillan action. But the stock was one of Gale's early fibreglass models. Scope was a Siebert converted Leupold (12x bumped to 24x). Pat made the barrel, chambering it in 222. The reported load was 23.5 of BL-C over prototype BR-4 primers.

Beautiful piece of benchrest history you have there. I hope it still sees range time.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I see the pinch screw on the side of the front mount now. I guess you loosen it to adjust the rear screws, then re tighten it.

I've often wondered about Leupold

I see the pinch screw on the side of the front mount now. I guess you loosen it to adjust the rear screws, then re
tighten it.

rear windage adjustable mounts. If you move the scope side to side with the scope clamped in the front mount don't you run the risk of tube bend? If you loosen the front mount before adjusting the rear then retighten the front don't you still apply stress to that part of the tube?

You are right on as far as elevation went. If the mount was properly installed even a thin shim is going to bend the scope tube to a degree. I believe it was Tom Gillman who used a similar setup and used a different aiming point to get the job done.

He may have had to use a different aiming point but I bet he never lost a minutes sleep worrying about POA shift due to some thing moving in the scope.

rear windage adjustable mounts. If you move the scope side to side with the scope clamped in the front mount don't you run the risk of tube bend? If you loosen the front mount before adjusting the rear then retighten the front don't you still apply stress to that part of the tube?

Not quite sure what your concern is with the Leupold windage adjustable mount. The front ring pivots in the front base in a dovetail fitting. I have seen that dovetail get loose though if the scope is removed very much.

Not quite sure what your concern is with the Leupold windage adjustable mount. The front ring pivots in the front base in a dovetail fitting. I have seen that dovetail get loose though if the scope is removed very much.

They aren't Leupold. They're Beuhler and can be vertically adjusted by manipulating shim stacks inside the rings. I guess once they're in the right configuration there is little chance of things shifting, but it seems cumbersome by today's standards. I called them up in Orinda and, although they aren't making rings anymore, they do answer the phone and were kind enough to send me some information, including some 30 year old invoices sent to McMillan.

They aren't Leupold. They're Beuhler and can be vertically adjusted by manipulating shim stacks inside the rings. I guess once they're in the right configuration there is little chance of things shifting, but it seems cumbersome by today's standards. I called them up in Orinda and, although they aren't making rings anymore, they do answer the phone and were kind enough to send me some information, including some 30 year old invoices sent to McMillan.

The Beuhler rings and bases I'm familiar with had a stack of shims that were between the top half of the rings. You determined the amount of shim by measuring the the base of the ring. I believe the object was to completely close the gap on top for a custom look. In other words the shim determined the diameter of the bottom of the ring so it would just fit into the base. The small screw on the side of the base was to lock down the ring. The rear ring used the same amount of shim but you had the same windage set up as on Redfield and Leupold. If there was ever any elevation adjustment I was never aware of it.

Back