A bit too much consolidation?

TomD

e publius unum
I've read that Hodgdon's acquired IMR a few years ago and, as of the beginning of October this year, acquired Western, Ramshot and Accurate. To give a graphic idea of what level of market dominance this means, below is a Sierra reloading chart for a random round, 6.5 Grendel. Of all the powders shown, 3 are not controlled by Hodgdon.

What could possibly go wrong?

sierra.jpg

The firearms and related business tend to be, unfortunately, relatively small with typical low margins.
Economies of scale driven consolidations often are the result. I guess better than several alternatives.

the firearms and related business tend to be, unfortunately, relatively small with typical low margins.
Economies of scale driven consolidations often are the result. I guess better than several alternatives.
using all these big words is way beyond the average guys vocab.

The firearms and related business tend to be, unfortunately, relatively small with typical low margins.

But unfortunately, the ultimate conclusion of "economies of scale driven consolidations" tends to monopolistic practices.

Any number of powders have had a single manufacturer and been sold under multiple brand names for may years.
Canister powders (and the extra work they require to produce) are not a large market.
IMR4895 and H4895 started as different lots of the same bulk powder.
When the bulk lot finally ran out, Hodgdon had new powder manufactured to match their lot.

Back