7x57 Question?

G

Gary O

Do you need to use a "long" action to wring the max out of a 7x57 useing 140 grain bullets? Thanks...

Do you need to use a "long" action to wring the max out of a 7x57 useing 140 grain bullets? Thanks...

The ideal length for the 7X57 would be an action longer than a short 700 and shorter than a long 700. In other words the length of a 98 mauser.

Yep they were, I believe the 2nd year of the classics. We had a couple that shot wonderfully well with Sierra 140's.

Any point in building a 7-08 AI on a short action that would not be set up for anything heavier than 160 grain Partitions? Thanks...

The 7x57 I had was on a Ruger 77 long action, and I think that any action that allowed an OA cartridge length of 3.125" would work. Some Mauser actions are shorter than M98's, or various domestic long actions designed for the .30-'06.

Although I have no experience with the 7mm-08 it would seem to me that an action that would allow an OAL of 3" or slightly more would work best. That should allow 140 to 160 gr bullets to be seated near the rifling with enough bullet body in the neck for security in feeding from a magazine.

Back