700 win mag problems

Two things come to mind here. Barrel heat in a 300 win Mag would be pretty good
after 3 shots. The result being a wiggle in the target, target distortion and mirage. The result of which can easily be misses. The other is that after 3 shots with almost any gun brings on holding errors. Just seems it shows up that way for many of us.

I was formerly using one of the top barrel makers barrels. In 5 different guns and barrels all were experiencing fliers on the forth or fifth shot and subsequent groups after the barrel warmed up. The barrels also were exhibiting extreme spreads of 60 fps., with precision loaded ammo. Three of the rifles had been rebarreled several times with prior barrels shooting recurrent 10 shot strings under .4". All of the guns were pillar bedded and the barrels free floating. The shooters all were high master level shoters. I have discussed the issues with several of my gunsmith peers and others were having the same issues. I shot several hundred rounds (different loads) and several hours with a bore scope not seeing any visual annomolies. It was recommended that I slug the barrels which I did and it was quite revealing. These barrels were advertised to be consistent within .0003", tripple stress releived and hand lapped. All had very definable tight and loose spots between the throat and crown. All five of these barrels have been replaced with another manufactures barrels and are again shooting 10 shot strings in .4".

Nat Lambeth

I tried to contact Rustsud (Nat L.) a few days back by PM and ask him which barrel maker it was that sold him 5 bad barrels. I suppose he's entitled to some time off for thanksgiving, and I'm still waiting. But if anybody else here is familiar with his experience, and can tell me that you know who this barrel maker is, I'd appreciate it if you'd contact me by PM. I'm getting ready to order a new barrel and would like to avoid this manufacturer, whomever it is. About the only exception I would make and consider it as a fluke would be if it was somebody like Krieger. You give somebody like Krieger with such a sterling name and reputation the benefit of the doubt and write it off as a freak isolated problem. But I'd be nervous going with some of the smaller name players with a reported problem like that.

As I understand it, you can PM all you want. But according to Wilbur's dictum, DO NOT POST the manufacturer's name on BR Central.

I believe Wilbur has given his reasons several times; essentially, it is hard for a manufacturer to defend his reputation against such public charges. What passes in private is another matter.

Understood. This is why I specifically requested a PM about it. And agreed, it's better for you to be clear about this policy before anybody makes the mistake of publicly posting the barrel manufacturer's name here on the thread.

Last edited:
700 win mag problem

One or all of the above solutions may well be correct, but one phenenemen has not been mentioned. Maybe there is nothing wrong with your rifle, but you may be simply sitting on the cusp of a barrel harmonic. The few feet per second of bullet speed variation that all loads posess can put you on to a different harmonic and change the spot that the bullet lands on your target. Try a different load, or try the same load but move your seating depth 40thou. Yes I know 40thou is a lot in bench rest terms but you want to get right away from that unfavourable harmonic and not fiddle around and burn your barrel out in the process.:D

holl....I will relate a true event about a .300 winmag custom built on a Remington 700 action...the rifle was built on a s/s Hart 1-11 twist barrel (#5 contour)...the rifle reportedly shot well when new with 180 grn Scirroco bullets and Rl-22...it began to give the odd 2-3" flyer shot...the owner brought it to me and requested I work up a load that would get rid of the flyer...I could not get rid of the flyer...the owner decided to build another rifle on a Remington action..I recommended we start with a custom ground .300 winmag "match" reamer with one specific bullet in mind (Berger 175 grn VLD hunting bullet)...I sent Dave a dummy round to work from...while waiting for the barrel for the new build up I recommended we try to set back the barrel on his Remy .300 wm that was shooting flyers in every group...I set the barrel back .3125" (5/16") and recrowned it...I loaded up some Berger 175 grn VLD bullets over H4831 and left the seater set where it was when I built the "dummy" round I sent to Dave (PTG)...after bore sighting...the rifle shot a .773" group at 100 yds...but the velocity was lower than what the owner wanted for hunting..I raised the load to get the velocity up to 3,000 fps. (chronographed)..I then shot a 3 shot group that went .566" at 100 yds with a barrel that had 1,200 plus thru it...No more flyers...
I believe that the reamer and load combo made a good shooter out of a "lost cause"
The owner and I are very pleased with the results...

NOTE:..Krieger does not recommend making a .300 win mag on any contour smaller than #5...FYI...

Eddie in Texas

The actual reamer used to chamber the barrel will make a big difference in accuracy and velocity with the .300 Win Mag especially differences in the throat area.

I remember one early Ruger 77 with a medium contour factory Douglas barrel.
That rifle would shoot Nosler 200 gr well enough to shoot hunter class .
That chamber had a long parallel tight throat.
Sometimes you get lucky .

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
holl .....

When resolving a problem like this, it's best to check the quick and inexpensive things first. Hopefully, you won't need to spend a fortune making this rifle into a shooter.

A lot of exotic reason have been posted but I'll just look at one of your comments. "the crosshairs are right on when I pull the trigger". The question is where are the cross hairs AFTER you pull the trigger?? Maybe when your fourth or fifth shot comes along, you're starting to lean into the stock a bit or move in some manner. My first thoughts are for you to check your bench technique. A good session of dry firing should help you determine when things are right. When they are right, the cross hairs won't move (maybe quiver a bit) when the trigger breaks.

holl ......

When shooting from sandbags, make sure your sling swivel stud doesn't recoil back into your front sandbag. That will throw your shots high. Be sure to keep your forearm positioned exactly the same for every shot.

I have a 300 Win Mag in a 700 remington. it was built by a good gunsmith, custom barrel, mcmillan stock, pillar bedded, etc. It is a heavy sporter weight rifle, vais break. I shoot it off a rest and bags and over windflags at 200yd. . It will group 3 real well and the 4th or fifth shot is 3" off. Shooting 175 g. bergers over R22. Cases are WW, neck turned, flash holes deburred, etc. I'm about to the point that I think it is recoil/shooter, but when the trigger breaks the cross hairs are right where the should be...any ideas?

Try 168 or 175 Sierra Matchkings. Some bullets just wont shoot in some barrels.

+1 for Ben ......

Some rifles just don't like certain bullets, but the two he mentioned will usually shoot quite well - more often then others.

holl .......

You didn't mention if your flyers are consistently going in the same direction. If you have another scope that is known to be good, install it and shoot a few test groups. It's rare, but I've seen top quality scopes cause intermittent wild flyers. It doesn't cost anything (except a few bullets) to verify that. Test one theory at a time to determine the cause of your problem, and don't panic until you've tried all of the inexpensive ideas first.

I have a 300 Win Mag in a 700 remington. it was built by a good gunsmith, custom barrel, mcmillan stock, pillar bedded, etc. It is a heavy sporter weight rifle, vais break. I shoot it off a rest and bags and over windflags at 200yd. . It will group 3 real well and the 4th or fifth shot is 3" off. Shooting 175 g. bergers over R22. Cases are WW, neck turned, flash holes deburred, etc. I'm about to the point that I think it is recoil/shooter, but when the trigger breaks the cross hairs are right where the should be...any ideas?

If it were my gun I'd slug the barrel and see how it feels. That said, I don't think this is all that unusual for a .300WM sporter.

Have somebody else shoot it to eliminate the shooter as the variable.

Fitch

If you are shooting 5 shot groups on a 300, your barrel is SUPER hot on the 4th and 5th shots...good by throat!

Did you hear the post on the magazine being too long and the action may not be seating on the pillars? Drop the magazine plate, reach up inside the magazine and try and wiggle the mag box with your finger. If you can't wiggle the mag box...there is one issue.

I had issues with RL22 in my 300 win mag. I switched to H4831sc and had about the same groups but way better consistency. No more fliers.

Back