6x47 ?

Joe S

I`ve a well used M70 HV in 223 that is about ready for a new barrel or replacing. The barrel consistently walks ~ .75" as it heats over a match and I`m tired of playing with it. I shoot some club varmint matches and am thinking a slightly larger caliber might add a extra X or point or 2 to my scores on top of hopefully being better about retaining POI. Ranges it will be used at will generally be sub yd and 95% probably will be 1/2 that.
The 6x47 seem to be a good overall option but, I have a couple questions about it.
Will I be able to form brass from 223 cases or is it a must that 222 mag brass be used?
How easy is it to load for?

I`m trying to stay away from opening the bolt face for rds like the 6PPC, etc but I`m open to suggestions if they are notably better choices and the added cost worth it I will consider it.
What about replacing the old rifle? I`ve looked at the Savage M12 series and it looks interesting especially in 6mm BR. Would it be worth the added cost to try one of these over reworking the old Winchester?
I am looking for good accuracy, low recoil, easy on the barrel suggestions. Price of components and ease of finding them and dies is also a minor consideration.

TIA

The Savage in 6mmBR would be a good choice, just make sure the barrel is 1 in 8 twist for the heavy bullets.

Hi Joe,

You must use 222 rem mag brass to make a 6x47. If you use 223 brass you will have a 6x45. I haven't found 222 rem mag brass to hard to find. I am not 100% sure but you prob could use 204 brass to get to a 6x47. I took my xp-100 pistol to the range today for the first time. Its in 6x47 with a Burris 3x12. After I got warmed up I was able to shot a couple of low 2's groups (3 shot) using H335 and Sierra 70gr BTHP. All that being said do a 6x47. It would be fun and different. Before the PPC came along the 6x47 was used by the benchrest crowd. Jeff

The Savage in 6mmBR would be a good choice, just make sure the barrel is 1 in 8 twist for the heavy bullets.

I`m not sure what the Savage has from the factory. I am tempted though, nice reports on it everywhere and new is always nice.
The same twist recommended for the 6x47? What about bbl length? 24"? 26"?

Twist for the 6x47 you would prob use a 14 or 12. Are you matches 300 yards and under ? If they are you don't need the faster twist and heavy bullets. If you are talking 400 yard and longer the 6BR and a fast twist would be the way to go.

Jeff

FWIW. In my experience, some of the push feed winchesters are very crooked. If your firing pin dents are pretty far off center,
it could indicate that. Just food for thought.

Proper twist for the 6/47 is 1 14 for the 60 to 65 gr pill 58 also. Proper for the 68 to 70 gr is the 13.5.
all around withthese bullets the 13.5 will do the trick best. Now your out to 250 yds with excellent accuracy,

I would doub't that a 6 x 47 will ever shine as the average 6BR does. You will need dies and barrel, the only issue is bolt face and thats
not a big issue. Open bolt face and install 308 extractor

If a guy's willing to do the work 6x47 cases can be formed from .204 Ruger cases. Neck up to .22, then up to 6 mm with annealing likely needed after the final necking up. The .204 is a .222 Mag necked down to .20 with the shoulder moved forward, so after the necking up the shoulder has to be pushed back a bit. The cases are a lot less expensive than 6 BR's if your time is free.

Joe -

Howdy !

My $ .02 .....

Back when I and a good friend started precision shooting, the .222s and 6X47 were THE darlings of the BR crowd. The PPCs, especailly 6PPC changed all that.
My BR-shooting buddy has often stated that one reason for the 6X47's demise was that shooters sometimes got errant shots outside the group; that they could not adequately explain.

This might also be called "inconsistent", or perhaps; even..... " hard to tune ".

Due to limited case capacity, an old-school 6X47 could not "run" w/ a 6BR.

Reknowned BR shooter and former riflesmith Fred Sinclair patently refused to work on rifles in the " Mauser" pattern, which included Win 70 and.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but one does not read about Win70-based hyper accurate rifles all that often.

An out-of-the-box Savage in 6BR would be hard to beat, for the value/money.

With regards,
357Mag

Back