6PPC Twist and Barrel Lenght

Oliver

Hi I am new to forum and i am new to Br shooting too , I am building a Br Rifle to compete in heavy varmint cat. my question is if you all here can help me in my choice i will be much appreciate it .

Building the rifle on a Mcmillan Egde stock and a Bat 3L action.

1.I need to know whats the best Bartlein barrel twist for 100-300 mts ?
2.Barrel length ?

Thanks for your help and for accepting me to your forum Guys.

Oliver

Most shooting the 6ppc are using 13.5 twist barrels, and 21.5”long. depending on where I am with weight on a light varmit gun, I may go a little longer so that if I need to set the barrel back I can do that and still have the barrel at 21.5”.

Hi I am new to forum and i am new to Br shooting too , I am building a Br Rifle to compete in heavy varmint cat. my question is if you all here can help me in my choice i will be much appreciate it .

Building the rifle on a Mcmillan Egde stock and a Bat 3L action.

Oliver

Question, why build a Heavy Varmint class which can only be shot in that one class. With your stock and action and using Light Varint taper barrel and something like a Leupold Competition scope you can have a gun that you can shoot in HV AND LV classes. A LV taper barrel of not over 21.5" long will bring you in. A LV taper Bartlein at 21.5" will weigh about 5 pounds, 2 ounces depending on where you cut the blank. Tracy Bartlein or Frank Green at Bartlein can tell you where to cut.

13.5, 13.85-13.75, 14 twist. I haven't seen much difference in how the twist rate makes the barrel shoot. Like the others I'd go for a LV rifle if it's your only benchrest rifle. I cut my barrels for 22". Another thing that is personal preference. No particular reason except that's what I've always used unless it needed a little taken off the muzzle to make weight. If your 3L is a 1.350 round action then you shouldn't have any problem making weight as long as your stock is a LV stock. If it's a HV stock it will be very hard to make weight as a LV. If it's a HV stock, I'd suggest selling it and getting LV stock to build a LV rifle. If you are building it to shoot score then by all means build a HV as there are not separate weight classes for Varmint for score. If you plan to shoot group, then build a LV weight if the stock will let you.

Thanks for the info , and from what i can see i better build the rifle for light varmint

oliver

13.5, 13.85-13.75, 14 twist. I haven't seen much difference in how the twist rate makes the barrel shoot. Like the others I'd go for a LV rifle if it's your only benchrest rifle. I cut my barrels for 22". Another thing that is personal preference. No particular reason except that's what I've always used unless it needed a little taken off the muzzle to make weight. If your 3L is a 1.350 round action then you shouldn't have any problem making weight as long as your stock is a LV stock. If it's a HV stock it will be very hard to make weight as a LV. If it's a HV stock, I'd suggest selling it and getting LV stock to build a LV rifle. If you are building it to shoot score then by all means build a HV as there are not separate weight classes for Varmint for score. If you plan to shoot group, then build a LV weight if the stock will let you.

Thanks it make sense and definitely i have a lot to learn by reading in this forum

Oliver

Your Location

Where are you located at? You need to find a mentor that is nearby. It will save you lots of money and time learning proper techniques.
Joe Hynes

Where are you located at? You need to find a mentor that is nearby. It will save you lots of money and time learning proper techniques.
Joe Hynes

+1000

I can remember years ago when I wanted to get into Benchrest. It was all of big mystery.

When I met him at a local gun show, Glenn Newick invited me to a local match, and just about every mystery was revealed.

It's kinda like playing a musical instrument. You can read every book written about the subject, but you will never get the full concept untill you actually see it done.

Last edited:
I agree with Jerry and Joe. Unless it's your second or third gun you need to build a Light Varmint...allows you to shoot all classes. Also would help a lot to find a mentor. There are many shooters who would be glad to help out...so what part of the country do you call home?

Steve

Back