6PPC rifle holding comments please

Migs

Friends:

I'm not sure how to ask this, but do chime in and remember I'm a rank beginner at 6PPC, and can learn lots from you all's comments.
(I use Berger 68gr Ultras and 28.3 gr of VV N133 for what its worth.)

I have noticed that once I get the rifle scope aligned with the bull, and I apply NO contact what so ever to the rifle as I touch the trigger, my rifle groups nicely. Is this common practice or is there a better way still? What is the deal with talcum powder?

Thanks for all your comments!

Migs

Migs ...

Friends:

I'm not sure how to ask this, but do chime in and remember I'm a rank beginner at 6PPC, and can learn lots from you all's comments.

I have noticed that once I get the rifle scope aligned with the bull, and I apply NO contact what so ever to the rifle as I touch the trigger, my rifle groups nicely. Is this common practice or is there a better way still? What is the deal with talcum powder?

Migs

Probably 95% of all PPC shooters shoot Free Recoil which is what you described.

Check out these articles: http://www.benchrest.com/FAQ/6.2.shtml and http://www.benchrest.com/FAQ/6.5.shtml.

Talcum powder is used as a lubricant between the stock and rests to facilitate a smooth surface for the free recoil method. However in your part of the world high humidity may hamper the effort [increase friction].

Stock Tape, antiperspirants, talcum powder, Cordura lined bags and ears, pure silicone spray, car wax, Sinclair Bag Wax, or even a very slippery piece of material obtained from a fabric store between the stock and bags have been know to do the job. Some better than others. :)

I also shoot in a very high humidity area and noticed the aforementioned problem with talc, which I brought with me when I moved here from AZ. The preferred lube here was silicone spray, which I started using very soon after arriving.

An older gunsmith and respected BR shooter told me that if I built up a good layer of silicone in the fall, winter, and spring, I could put on my talc a couple times in the early summer and never need to lube the bags until winter. That was an exaggeration, but it was not far wrong. Another shooter I know sprays his bags and blows a fine layer of talc on them while the silicone is still wet and claims to get the same results.

It's been my experience that the silicone spray works in all weather conditions.................Seeing the "slippery material from a fabric store" makes me wonder who will now start selling satin bags and reminds me of the time I slid clear out of the bed in Reno--but that might not bear repeating on this thread..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the good comments and the links. In the interim between my question and your answers I had the good fortune of reading Ratigan's book and learned quite a bit. I will try the lubes and see what happens. I shoot in La Paz, at 13,000 ft. so it's fairly dry, but when we have the Bolivian nationals in Santa Cruz it will be humid, so I must be prepared for both situations.

I'm glad to see that free recoil is the ticket - something I could not do with my 308. I guess the 308 will be relegated to hunter class. Still, I can't believe the difference in accuracy I achieved by switching to 6PPC!

Thanks again! -Migs

Migs ...

Don't forget your oxygen mask and bottle !!! 13,000 feet ??? :eek:

Friends:

I have noticed that once I get the rifle scope aligned with the bull, and I apply NO contact what so ever to the rifle as I touch the trigger, my rifle groups nicely. Is this common practice or is there a better way still? What is the deal with talcum powder? geometry dash

Migs

In order to ensure a smooth surface when using the free recoil method, talcum powder is utilized as a lubricant between the stock and rests. High humidity in your region of the world, though, could hinder the attempt and cause more friction.

Some people have reported success with stock tape, antiperspirants, talcum powder, cordura-lined bags and ears, pure silicone spray, car wax, Sinclair Bag Wax, or even a very slick piece of cloth from a fabric store between the stock and bags. Some are superior to others.

Back