6ppc barrel round count

There are a lot of barrels that aren't competitive at 15 rds let alone 1500.

This is an undeniable fact,I don't care who you are. In fifteen years of dabbling in this Sport, I can say that I have had four proven competitive barrels and one competitive rifle. I average five barrel blanks a year for two rifles. Not counting the barrels for the Rail gun that I bought last year. I'm in this game for the fun. I'm not obsessed with finding that hummer barrel. Good times and friends are more important.

The fella's who are consistently competitive at this Sport are buying and testing a lot more barrels than I do. I wonder if they're having fun.

Glenn

Last edited:
I average five barrel blanks a year for two rifles. Not counting the barrels for the Rail gun that I bought last year. Not counting the barrels for the Rail gun that I bought last year. I'm in this game for the fun. I'm not obsessed with finding that hummer barrel. Good times and friends are more important.

The fella's who are consistently competitive at this Sport are buying and testing a lot more barrels than I do. I wonder if they're having fun.

Glenn, five plus barrels a year sounds like a lot to me. At the snail pace I'm going with barrels I must be having a LOT of fun. :)

Last edited:
Glenn, five plus barrels a year sounds like a lot to me. At the snail pace I'm going with barrels I must be having a LOT of fun. :)

Three guns and Five barrels a year(Average)........ Do the math. I would buy five barrels a year for each gun, if I could do my own chamber work. You pay for what you don't know in this Sport.

How many barrels a year do you buy?

Glenn

Several years back,I had a excellent shooting barrel, set back and recrowned at about 1000 rounds.(6PPC)

Three guns and Five barrels a year(Average)........ Do the math. I would buy five barrels a year for each gun, if I could do my own chamber work. You pay for what you don't know in this Sport.

How many barrels a year do you buy?

Let's say you shoot a barrel 1,000 rounds before you change. The math tells me that you're shooting about 5,000 rounds a year and spending about $2,500/yr on barrels and $1,500/yr on components. I think you're having more fun than me. :)

As for your question, I think I'll claim the 5th. :eek:

Let's say you shoot a barrel 1,000 rounds before you change. The math tells me that you're shooting about 5,000 rounds a year and spending about $2,500/yr on barrels and $1,500/yr on components. I think you're having more fun than me. :)

As for your question, I think I'll claim the 5th. :eek:

Hunter..If you’ve ever owned a really good shooting barrel, you understand why some people buy more than one at a time. Its an addiction that some people can’t afford. Including myself.

Have some fun. Buy more barrels.

Glenn

Hunter..Have some fun. Buy more barrels.

That's a catchy quote; however, my problem is that I see a bunch of variables that conspire to ruin my groups and I'm reluctant to frequently throw $500 at one of those variables hoping that it's the culprit.

If you're not winning, and want to win, then $500 is a drop in the bucket. I know what you're saying though....

No doubt, the bbl

is a big part of the equation. But it is sure not everything. I worked really hard with 4 different rifles this year. I got every one of them to shoot teen aggs in registered matches. Do you think I got lucky with that many bbl.'s? And that was with 5 different lots of jackets. It's easy to get fixated on just one part of the system, when many things have to work together to have a truly competitive rifle.

Richard Brensing

That's a catchy quote; however, my problem is that I see a bunch of variables that conspire to ruin my groups and I'm reluctant to frequently throw $500 at one of those variables hoping that it's the culprit.

Hunter..Barrels are an expendable component of the Rifle. Screw the old off. Screw the new one on. A new barrel may fix a problem you thought you had. The best rifle on the planet won't make a mediocre barrel shoot better.

Of course, the same can be said about the best barrel that finds it way on a mediocre Rifle. I once owned a Rifle that made me think I knew how to shoot benchrest. Wore the barrel out and reality struck. I've been searching for that elusive hummer barrel ever since. I've come close but never quite duplicated the performance of that one barrel. I no longer own that special Rifle,but my barrel search continues. I might get lucky. Its a lot cheaper than buying new Rifles.

Glenn

Hunter..Barrels are an expendable component of the Rifle. Screw the old off. Screw the new one on. A new barrel may fix a problem you thought you had. The best rifle on the planet won't make a mediocre barrel shoot better.

Of course, the same can be said about the best barrel that finds it way on a mediocre Rifle. I once owned a Rifle that made me think I knew how to shoot benchrest. Wore the barrel out and reality struck. I've been searching for that elusive hummer barrel ever since. I've come close but never quite duplicated the performance of that one barrel. I no longer own that special Rifle,but my barrel search continues. I might get lucky. Its a lot cheaper than buying new Rifles.

Glenn

If you ever get a really, really, really great barrel, you will know it.

I have had a few. The only one in the past years is that first 1-18 twist 30 cal Krieger. That is the only 25X barrel I have owned, and it still owns the smallest 5-5 shot group aggregate ever shot by a 30 caliber Rifle anywhere in Registered Competition.

It's down to a tad over 19 inches now on it's 3d set-back.

is a big part of the equation. But it is sure not everything. I worked really hard with 4 different rifles this year. I got every one of them to shoot teen aggs in registered matches. Do you think I got lucky with that many bbl.'s? And that was with 5 different lots of jackets. It's easy to get fixated on just one part of the system, when many things have to work together to have a truly competitive rifle.

Richard Brensing

No, I don't think you got that lucky. What you're saying here is that you can make any barrel shoot a teen agg if given the time.

If you ever get a really, really, really great barrel, you will know it.

I have had a few. The only one in the past years is that first 1-18 twist 30 cal Krieger. That is the only 25X barrel I have owned, and it still owns the smallest 5-5 shot group aggregate ever shot by a 30 caliber Rifle anywhere in Registered Competition.

It's down to a tad over 19 inches now on it's 3d set-back.

Jackie..are you counting the rounds you send down that barrel? I had one really great barrel.6ppc Shilen. When I first started shooting benchrest. First match I attended,I finished way high up in the rankings. Didn't really know that much about reading wind flags. Bullets just all went in the same hole. The next barrel I put on changed the whole personality of my rifle. That's why I know there are GREAT barrels among the others. Remove the shooter from the equation and I think it was Speedy Gonzales that said, Barrels,reamers and bullets has the biggest impact on accuracy.

Glenn

My saying has always been........"barrels, bullets, and tune".

I personally think all of this other stuff we spend gobs of money on just go along for the ride. It's absolutly amazing what you can get away with with a great barrel, a great lot of bullets, and a great tune.

As for the round count on that 30 cal barrel, it's probably got around 4000 rounds down it in five years. The last setback, I cut the whole chamber off and treated like a new 19 1/4 inch blank. I chambered up a new one at the first of this year, and while it is a good barrel and a proven winner, it will not nail those little bitty groups like that first one.

That originol barrel will be saved as it is just in case Lake Charles gets the NBRSA VFS Nationals this year.

Last edited:
Ive had some great barrels over the years. And every "hummer" that i have first hand knowledge of was a shilen. Im talkin about the barrels that defy physics, shoot right into a hole with a 180 wind shift, hall of fame point grabbin barrels. Ask tony how many hes had and what brand they were. But to go along with that theres actions out there like tonys hart action thats a killer no matter what barrel is on it- has been for years! Then scopes- had every one there is and alot of em survive my scope checker but the new valdada is the only one ive seen shoot zeroes. So theres my opinion- once you have that gun and scope its a whole lot easier to find that good barrel. If it dont shoot after 3-4 barrels you gotta make a move. Get that firing mech fixed before you waste anymore ammo!

Back